Litchi question RTH tripped during mission due to calculated power.

Reaction score
Searched all over and can't find an answer in manual or online so I thought I would ask you Litchi gurus.

Using P3A with latest updates and Litchi on Android.

During mission flights Litchi is triggering RTH and aborting the mission when the calculated RTH power reaches the available power (green disappears into red line).

If I override the RTH with the "cancel" on screen or the RC RTH hard button and try to resume mission it attempts to return to the first mission point instead of continuing along where the mission left off.

I have also tried pausing the mission and overriding with either button and it has the same effect.

This is really only an issue on my long distance missions. When flying these distances manually with FPV I override the calculated RTH trigger and continue flying for another mile or so before I actually need to turn around based on actual RTH battery needed.

If anyone has any ideas feel free advise.

Searched all over and can't find an answer in manual or online so I thought I would ask you Litchi gurus.

During mission flights Litchi is triggering RTH and aborting the mission when the calculated RTH power reaches the available power (green disappears into red line).

If I override the RTH with the "cancel" on screen or the RC RTH hard button and try to resume mission it attempts to return to the first mission point instead of continuing along where the mission left off.

I have also tried pausing the mission and overriding with either button and it has the same effect.

This is really only an issue on my long distance missions. When flying these distances manually with FPV I override the calculated RTH trigger and continue flying for another mile or so before I actually need to turn around based on actual RTH battery needed.

The same thing happened to me and it resulted in a crash because my waypoints went around big hills and it tried to go straight back to the homepoint. Battery was at 63%. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Is this new behavior?

I thought originally in waypoint mode it would fly until the battery died.

If not, and especially if it's trying to return to the original waypoint, that's a pretty serious issue.

Is this new behavior?

I thought originally in waypoint mode it would fly until the battery died.

If not, and especially if it's trying to return to the original waypoint, that's a pretty serious issue.
I thought that too myself. If it has a failsafe to calculate distance and battery usage and it aborts the mission to return home, that could cause alot of crashes if the original waypoints went around obstacles. It happened to me and flew straight into a hill that was higher than my failsafe altitude.

The same thing happened to me and it resulted in a crash because my waypoints went around big hills and it tried to go straight back to the homepoint. Battery was at 63%. I'm still trying to figure it out.
In Waypoint mode there is a setting that when it finishes a mission you have the option to reverse. That sounds like the best option in that situation. You could RTH if your RTH altitude was high enough.
761298f8f62f8169297559350f535315.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:

I think you need to disable SMART RTH in DJI GO (make sure your connected to the aircraft. )

Reactions: bkushner
In Waypoint mode there is a setting that when it finishes a mission you have the option to reverse. That sounds like the best option in that situation.
761298f8f62f8169297559350f535315.jpg

My situation was a little different. I attempted a 5 mile one way trip. Since you can't set finish actions or even a last waypoint beyond 2000m (1.2 miles), I had to make waypoints back home as well. 75 waypoints total but the 5 mile mark was 40. I drove to 40 after takeoff and waited to take control again. It came into range at 30 and after 31, it requested to go home, I hit cancel, and it ignored it and still aborted. Battery was 63% at that point. If it did that whole calculation thing, would that be the reason it RTH on me? Also, seeing your other comment, would disabling Smart RTH prevent that mission abort?

I believe it does. I am going to test it out today. Someone else probably has a definitive answer. I've heard that the missions continue after a lost connection.

I believe it does. I am going to test it out today. Someone else probably has a definitive answer. I've heard that the missions continue after a lost connection.

It definitely continued the mission when I drove off and lost signal. I've done full shorter missions with lost signal and everything was fine. This was the furthest I ever attempted with a mission. I didn't even know what Smart RTH was but it makes sense now. The Smart battery makes an RTH decision based on power needed to go home. Man, almost a year of flying and I'm still learning things lol.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
... I didn't even know what Smart RTH was but it makes sense now. The Smart battery makes an RTH decision based on power needed to go home ...
What I'm finding out is that it's not so smart as it doesn't take head and tail winds into consideration. I had a smart RTH the other day that came back and when it landed, I still had more than 50% of the battery left.

What I'm finding out is that it's not so smart as it doesn't take head and tail winds into consideration. I had a smart RTH the other day that came back and when it landed, I still had more than 50% of the battery left.
Yeah, I have heard about that. I've never actually had a Smart RTH before except recently when it ended up crashing into trees. I either RTH it myself or I have had signal lost RTH with just normal GPS flying. Waypoint mission times aren't always accurate either. I had an 18 min mission complete in 14 mins.

No matter what mode your flying in always set your RTH altitude above all surrounding obstacles.
Not to be rude but thats a Phantom pilots RULE # 1 where there are absolutely no exceptions

I see the same thing happen with my P4. Back in the early P3 days mine would return with 15 to 20 % every time and that was awesome I was amazed by that.

Yeah, I have heard about that. I've never actually had a Smart RTH before except recently when it ended up crashing into trees. I either RTH it myself or I have had signal lost RTH with just normal GPS flying. Waypoint mission times aren't always accurate either. I had an 18 min mission complete in 14 mins.
I have a 14 minute Litchi mission that only takes 10 minutes, but I've got curved waypoints, so to speak, so it just cruises past waypoints, rather than pausing, there are about 30 waypoints in the mission. (I'm attempting a time lapse over the local woods, to cover all four seasons in the year, starting in the winter, and completing the next winter, got 30 missions flown in the last 3 months)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub