Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Phantom 3 Standard. I have flown a few out of range missions with Litchi. The drone points in the direction but does not point camera down. I understand the app cannot angle the gimbal if the drone is out of range.

From my understanding, after reading many threads on the topic, you can set an action to angle the gimbal at each waypoint. That is great! However, If I have a set specific "Tilt Camera" angle under the "Actions" tab, what do I set "Gimbal Pitch Mode" to? Disabled? Since I have an action set..?

Also, for "MISSION SETTINGS: Default Gimbal Pitch Mode" what would I set? Disabled, as well?

I have my waypoints around a POI, Now I just need to configure the proper settings that will let me manually adjust each angle at each waypoint.

Please Help!
Thank You!

EDIT: Litchi PDF says, "Interpolate: You can specify the gimbal pitch angle at this waypoint. If two or more waypoints have different gimbal pitch angles specified and are set to Interpolate, Litchi will automatically adjust the gimbal pitch to start and end at the specified angles and smoothly transition while traveling between the two waypoints."

So will I have the settings for both, "MISSION SETTINGS" and "Gimbal Pitch Mode" to "Interpolate"? Once I choose Interpolate, the angle is able to be adjusted... So then I dont need and action for camera tilt? OR is the interpolate angle only going to work when the drone is in range of the RC?

Last edited:
The default setting is just that. The default. So in other words if you set default gimble pitch to interpolate, each time you dropped a waypoint while planning a mission, it would default to interpolate. That's all that does. More importantly for your line of questioning is interpolate vs poi at a waypoint. I have had the most success using interpolate. I have posted several times on here trying to help people sort this out because things have changed since I started using Litchi. In the "early days" POI wasn't capable of smoothly transitioning the gimble between waypoints. Now it is, I think, and that's what everyone tries to use. From my understanding, the controller must be in contact with the bird in order to, in real time, adjust the gimble. Interpolate uploads all the gps coordinates and headings just like any other mission but it also uploads the gimble angles preflight, therefore there is no need for the controller to communicate during the mission. Now the trick to get this to work is to set your mission up using POI at each waypoint(as you have been I presume)...that will set the appropriate headings and gimble angles. Then one by one switch them all to interpolate. Litchi will leave in place all the headings and angles but now will upload them all to the bird preflight. Hope that makes sense.

You only need to mess with the action tab if you are trying to perform specific tasks at a given waypoint. In other words, mid mission you want the bird to stop at a way point, face the sunset, and take a bracketed photo or a panorama or whatever. Then you use the action section. If you are simply flying a mission with headings, altitudes, gimble pitches etc that you've already set, yph just leave the actions section alone. Leave it blank. Furthermore, unless you leave the path curve at zero, you will be unable to perform any actions anyway. Think of actions as a systematic approach to completing different tasks at different points in the sky and think of POI or interpolate as a way of capturing smooth transitional video from waypoint to waypoint.

Last edited:
I have "MISSION SETTINGS" and "Gimbal Pitch Mode" both on Interpolate.

Most Waypoints have POI. I have already figured out to select FOCUS POI to get the angle then switch to Interpolate.. So the camera should angle at the POI.. I will try again tomorrow.. if no success then I will keep that same configuration + add the angle in the actions for those waypoints

Sorry I typed a long edit. Read the bottom half of my reply to understand actions and how they don't pertain to what you're trying to do.

Sorry I typed a long edit. Read the bottom half of my reply to understand actions and how they don't pertain to what you're trying to do.

Ok, I had the waypoints setup where each had an action for an angle.. I will remove those actions and test the POI and interpolate.. Will post back tomorrow morning with results.

There are also several cases where you can enter unrealistic changes for the speed and gimble angles between points and it appears that Litchi more or less ignores those commands. If you are set to fly at 15mph and have 2 POI's only maybe 100 ft apart at drastically different altitudes Litchi can definetly ignore the 2nd POI. I usually plan on at least 2, if not 3 tweaks and reflights until I'm 100% happy with the resulting video.

Three Waypoints are within 10 feet of each other... going from 200 to 100 ft then back to 150 ft.. All with the same POI. So I may not get the video I'm looking for?

The relation of one poi to the next isn't in and of itself an issue but the speed you are traveling and the proximity to the POI's and thusly the expected gimble pitch angle can be a problem. Again, this may not be your issue at all but just think of this. You are in a car that is moving and you're looking out the passenger's window. Something draws your attention to the driver's side so you look at that. Then you try to look back at something else on the passenger's side and it has already passed. You can only move your head and concentrate so quickly. This is the scenario that I find Litchi can't handle. The aircraft is capable of gimble speeds higher than what Litchi will achieve. Not all the time either. Sometimes it's fine. Now of course slow the car down and you'd have no problem seeing everything. A quick test I guess would be to slow your mission down and see what happens.

Reactions: JRC2552
The relation of one poi to the next isn't in and of itself an issue but the speed you are traveling and the proximity to the POI's and thusly the expected gimble pitch angle can be a problem. Again, this may not be your issue at all but just think of this. You are in a car that is moving and you're looking out the passenger's window. Something draws your attention to the driver's side so you look at that. Then you try to look back at something else on the passenger's side and it has already passed. You can only move your head and concentrate so quickly. This is the scenario that I find Litchi can't handle. The aircraft is capable of gimble speeds higher than what Litchi will achieve. Not all the time either. Sometimes it's fine. Now of course slow the car down and you'd have no problem seeing everything. A quick test I guess would be to slow your mission down and see what happens.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm excited to test litchi out again tomorrow!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan