Litchi orbit on tall structure. Alt, orbit radius and gimbal angle?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Looking to setup an orbit in Litchi on a 250m high structure. I obviously don't want to go above 100m alt. What would you recommend for my orbit radius and gimbal angle to get the whole structure in shot with plenty of wiggle room?

Thanks in advance,

Z
DJI3A

You got to use your geometry to workout the details.

You should take two shots, one with short radius to get close views and other to get full view with lone radius.

Set the poi height as the height of the structure and keep flying at least at 125% of structure height. You can fine adjust in pre trials. Keep going away from the structure till you get full view of your liking.

Photography is very personal and involves lots of imaginations. See what you like best in your trials and then decide your settings.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: ZacM
Looking to setup an orbit in Litchi on a 250m high structure. I obviously don't want to go above 100m alt. What would you recommend for my orbit radius and gimbal angle to get the whole structure in shot with plenty of wiggle room?

I did a similar orbit a few months ago around a 65m church tower and after some trial and error I got a decent video.

After that experience I did the attached spreadsheet.

So to just cover a 263m tall object in 16:9 video you'd have to be at 250m distance. Set the POI at around 125m. AC altitude depends on the object -- I set it at 50m for my 65m object so the top was somewhat over the horizon.

250m.png

Attachments

• P3P_image_coverage.ods.zip
    12.1 KB · Views: 210
  • P3P_image_coverage.xlsx.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 202
Thank you alokbhargava and Matti. Its one of those scenarios where I'll be far from home with one battery and not too sure where I'll be able to take off from until I get there so will need some back of a *** packet calculations before I go. Matti that is very helpfull so thank you!

Last edited:
Matti I should add that its a chimney and I obviously can't go above UK CAA Guidelines of 120m alt.

Last edited:
120m alt.

At 120m altitude a little over half of the the 250m chimney should be over a flat horizon. If you set the POI at 125m and your radius is 250m, there should be 6+6m over the top+bottom of the chimney with 16:9 video.

Hey that is great footage!

Which altitude, radius, POI, speed did you use? Did you know the exact time when to start?

Thanks Matti. There was quite a big exclusion zone so I played safe with a 300m radius. Alt was 122m. Speed was 3min 56s/rev. I knew it was due to drop at 11am, but I only have one battery so I couldn't experiement before hand hence my post. Sorry If my OP was guarded, but I wasn't sure if droning a demolition would attract criticism on here. There were certainly no humans under my flight path and certainly no air traffic above so the risk was all mine.

Reactions: matti

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik