Litchi or any other app?

Depends if Mission Hub is using G.E. data which sometimes has a slight horizontal shift where the altitude may be in error and jump greatly. Odd altitude jumps sometime happen just moving a mouse pointer on a G.E. map.

In the above GIF, which generates 4 waypoints off the KML (i.e. The four vertical red bars in the green area), the third one at the cliff's edge puts you inside the mountain where the 4th is correct on top of the mountain. The terrain is slightly shifted when it goes through the calculation process for the mission verses what it draws for some bizarre reason.

I'd like to see the test flight icon reporting the altitude since we cannot really put the mission horizontal and see the z-axis or vertical height from the flight mission making. Might show things like trees and building clearances better too. A sharp cliff wall is another matter since the G.E. map should be accurate. Too bad these mission maps are only in 2D where we fly in 3D. Probably better off dropping your own waypoints and checking than using a KML generated G.E. file to do so.

Why do you use GE to plan your missions?
Don't you have to pay a fee to get elevation data from GE?
Mission Hub seems to provide everything necessary without messing with KML files and importing them to Mission Hub.

I'm just curious the advantages you perceived with GE over Mission Hub, enough to warrant the extras steps, and GE anomalies.

I used Litchi a lot. One advise and I think it is very important. DJI will not honor their warranty while using this app. I had long battle with them when I experienced fly away. So be very careful

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: gholland22
The biggest feature of Licthi that got my attention was the ability to setup waypoints without having to fly around to each one and waste the battery to set them up. I don't see why DJI can't put that into their app.

I used Litchi a lot. One advise and I think it is very important. DJI will not honor their warranty while using this app. I had long battle with them when I experienced fly away. So be very careful

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Fly@way is very unlikely. The problems I have seen were always related to improper elevation settings. If you set up your mission correctly you should not have a problem.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Just be careful when flying by mountains, Litchi will not adjust height of the P4 as terrain rises . There is a way to do that by using google earth I believe .

For more advanced waypoint missions and control check out UGCS. It got altidude over terrain, etc...

I've been using Litchi for about 6 months and love it, automated flights ROCK. My one piece of advise would be take great care when you are loading that pre-planned mission you don't accidently hit that device screen and ad a rogue waypoint. It's very easy to do in the bright sunlight working on a small screen. Just when your are expecting to return to your home location it suddenly climbs 75 feet and hit's a tree. It happened so fast I was not able to gain manual control quick enough. While it was not the fault of Litchi per say it would be nice if they had a feature that allowed you to LOCK in the mission on the hub so it could not be changed accidentally. It was a $150 learning lesson, it's could have been much worse. Just keep this in mind and it might save you some grief.

The screen should have been locked at default after loading a mission, with the ability to edit by tapping a button / draging a slider or something. Like you point out, adding a rogue waypoint is very easy. My bird was pretty much on it´s way back to China the other day after accendentaly adding a waypoint far out....

When flying Litchi missions, the MODE SWITCH is your defense. NEVER take your finger off the switch, ready to turn off the mission on a seconds notice of anything going awry.

@MacCool. I think he's talking about using Google Earth to show the elevation (height) of the trees, buildings, light poles etc. At least that's what I use it for to plan my advance missions.

The biggest feature of Licthi that got my attention was the ability to setup waypoints without having to fly around to each one and waste the battery to set them up. I don't see why DJI can't put that into their app.

They did in the past, but removed it with later versions.

If I were to rely on the height provided in mission hub, I would have crashed on the hill next to my house long ago.
Can you elaborate on your Litchi mission hub elevation errors?

So far my in Litchi mission hub (6 of them) flights I haven't seen any significant elevation errors. I expect 10' error at times. How much error did you detect? When flying I've had times where the P4 altimeter had up to a 40' error in elevation, saying it was 50' AGL at launch point when it was actually 10' above it's take off point. So I'm curious if that's the error you experienced from the craft, not the elevation data from Litchi.

I think if you don't pad your numbers with 50' tolerance that you're asking for trouble. That's the way I look at it anyway.

Last edited:
There are several waypoint-enabled apps available. AutoPilot, Litchi, & Ultimate Flight come to mind. I own the latter two but have only used Litchi. Litchi will complete your mission even if RC contact is lost. You can plan your missions on your device or on your computer on the Litchi Mission Hub. Saved missions are instantly available on all of your devices. Litchi works fantastically & with careful planning you can do some incredible flights:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is Litchi or any advanced app worth the money? I am mostly hobby flying, like to go long distances in the mountains and will be filming a golf course for a friend soon. How much better is Litchi or any other app than DJI GO?

Last edited:
Are you sure Litchi has support for Mavic? You say your friend has a Mavic already?
All you need is an account to start creating missions , you dont even need the drone yet. He does not have his Mavic yet. 2 more weeks. I told him to get on there and start creating missions for when Litchi is available for the mavic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers