Litchi is the killer of the drones

I don't want to start a new post and since there are some Litchi users here I would like to ask a question. I started using it yesterday and the auto pilot / waypoints worked perfectly. My only issues is the camera didn't turn on. (I added the turn on camera in the mission setup) but it was not triggered?....

If you fly in goggle mode and use the immersive setting, I believe you have to be in f mode to do so. I could be wrong but I thought when I did it, it prompted me to switch to f mode

I don't want to start a new post and since there are some Litchi users here I would like to ask a question. I started using it yesterday and the auto pilot / waypoints worked perfectly. My only issues is the camera didn't turn on. (I added the turn on camera in the mission setup) but it was not triggered?....

Did you have the video running? If so, that's the answer. You can't video and still photo at the same time.

SB

Has there ever been a documented case of Litchi causing a flyaway or crash that wasn't ultimately determined to be pilot error or mechanical/hardware failure? Only asking because I've never seen one. I just put a new mirror on my truck and the "check engine" light came on and it's running really rough. Brand X mirrors will screw up your engine!

Don't jump to conclusions. Logically work the problem.

Reactions: matti
If you had left it alone it would have finished the mission anyway. One of the great things about Litchis that it continues the mission even if it's so far away that it loses signal. It would have eventually come back into range and you would have been able to see it progressing along its path as pre-programmed.

I have let a mission keep going after a signal loss situation, but this time, I was a little bit concerned about the battery charge when it lost signal. I had 81 percent battery left, so I should have let it go. I didn't want to take a chance of a low battery situation. I guess I have become dependent on Litchi's voice telemetry updates and if I can't see what's going on, I get a little nervous. I'll fly the same mission tonight if it's not to windy and let her go.

Reactions: happydays
The op hasn't responded to anyone trying to help so why bother. Just another whiner who did something wrong and wants to blame an app. Pilot error is the killer of drones. Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

A thousand times this.

Sure, props can fail, as can ESCs, compass, batteries, etc... As well as other external exigent circumstances. But to my knowledge, on the P3 series, there hasn't been single "drone brain" failure. So far, all "fly aways" or other erratic behavior has been user error, or compass interference.

That's actually a pretty significant and often overlooked improvement since the days of the P1/P2/P2V+.

If you fly in goggle mode and use the immersive setting, I believe you have to be in f mode to do so. I could be wrong but I thought when I did it, it prompted me to switch to f mode

Your right immersive = F mode

Like I said, was not sure if it had anything to do with this issue. Just making a observation, that I thought if you use this app in FPV mode the controller was to be in P mode. And only in F mode for the auto flight features. Was thinking that maybe it would give you more controllability.

In FPV mode in Litchi you have 3 choices in
" aircraft head tracking "
Off = P mode
Immersive = F Mode
Joystick = F Mode

Aircraft Head Tracking: Choose between Off, Immersive or Joystick to enable rotating the aircraft using head movements (details below).

Aircraft Head Tracking
This advanced VR feature requires the RC's flight mode switch to be in F mode (or P for the Phantom 4) and the aircraft to be in the air.

In Immersive mode, rotating your head left/right causes the aircraft to rotate left/right mirroring the angle you are looking at relative to the reference which is established when VR mode is started.

In Joystick mode, rotating your head left/right is similar to using the left joystick's left/right axis (mode 2). As an example, the more you rotate your head to the left, the faster the aircraft will rotate to the left. The zero point, at which the aircraft will not rotate, is set when VR mode starts using the current mobile device orientation at that time.

This is what it sounds like to me. The phantom was doing exactly what it was told!
Looking at the AC in the video after recovery it didnt free fall from 40m. It landed. RtH was likely set to either land or hover. Riding that push bike towards the location depicted in the map may well have allowed connection to be restored and control recovered. 1000m with an unmodded standard is pretty good range.

Hmmm, I have used Litchi with great results; it allowed me to make some clips that simply would not have been possible flying manually, especially when tracking the course of a 32 mile canal that I filmed in stages using litchi and stiched together. Orbits are also fantastic and allow pre-programming. I find it a great app. Mind you, I haven't really used it for tracking or with headsets at all.

However, I wonder; when you say the link was lost OP, I assume you mean the FPV link, right? You still would have had operational control I assume. You would have been flying right on the limit of a P3 Standard at 1000m. Did you try pressing the RTH button, or even turning off the controller? I fine these things pretty reliable these days. Maybe you could confirm the settings that you had? Or even better, since you got the P3 back, post up the .DAT file from the flight so that the experts can analyse exactly what happened and rule out any errors.

Here's that canal clip btw - it's long, but strangely mesmerising!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very cool watched from start to finish, you were lucky after Madden Bridge or had you that one in control, think I spotted you definitely once maybe twice, nice stitching also

Reactions: happydays
Looking at the AC in the video after recovery it didnt free fall from 40m. It landed. RtH was likely set to either land or hover. Riding that push bike towards the location depicted in the map may well have allowed connection to be restored and control recovered. 1000m with an unmodded standard is pretty good range.

@ 16:47 in OP vid it looks like his RC is modded
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1467929403.575516.jpg

Yep. Looks it. I will happily confess i scrubbed through the video. Nice pickup but of no cosequence to the issue subject of discussion, litchi isnt further implicated.

I was excited to think he got 1km without mods....

Agree, but not knowing what OP was saying all I know is he sure can talk

A thousand times this.

Sure, props can fail, as can ESCs, compass, batteries, etc... As well as other external exigent circumstances. But to my knowledge, on the P3 series, there hasn't been single "drone brain" failure. So far, all "fly aways" or other erratic behavior has been user error, or compass interference.

That's actually a pretty significant and often overlooked improvement since the days of the P1/P2/P2V+.
The P3 is better yes, particularly with respect to genuine "fly always".

Don't agree on your absence of 'drone brain failure" though. Batteries being incorrectly reported with critical condition and subsequent auto land over water or falling out of the sky as well as .dat analysis revealing operator GPS position erroneously recorded by AC seem like brain failure to me.

Reactions: mrgoodwrench
Litchi doesn't kill drones. People kill drones.

Now where have I heard that saying before.....?

:rolleyes:

Reactions: cfd701
Very cool watched from start to finish, you were lucky after Madden Bridge or had you that one in control, think I spotted you definitely once maybe twice, nice stitching also

I was actually at the bridge and came across the cables. Everything was done at 50m and the cables are around 45. I did test before I set off! You can see me in quite a lot of the shots. I was using the wife's VW Golf to travel around as there's more room in it than my car. It's white so you can see it a lot and me beside it too...:D:D:D:D

I've found out some interesting fact. Controller of Phantom 3 Standard in F mode in Litchi application controles by the channel 2.4 Ghz. Now I fly much further to 1000 m. But be careful if drone looses controle it doesn't return!

I've found out some interesting fact. Controller of Phantom 3 Standard in F mode in Litchi application controles by the channel 2.4 Ghz. Now I fly much further to 1000 m. But be careful if drone looses controle it doesn't return!

If you are using Litchi it will complete its mission if it has sufficient battery left and doesn't hit something due to poor planning. The frequency of the signal has nothing to do with the mission.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers