Litchi: Initial Gimbal Pitch Angle

Reaction score
I am a new Litchi user. I have some experience using other similar apps.

I created a simple Waypoint mission: two points separate 18m

Mission settings
Heading: custom
Finish action: none
Straight lines
Cruising speed: 2.5Km/h
Default Gimbal Pitch mode: Interpolate

Point 1
Heading: 149º
Gimbal Pitch angle: -20º
Actions: Take photo

Point 2
Heading: 80º
Gimbal Pitch angle: -60º

Photo #1 was taken in the right direction but Gimbal Pitch angle was 0º
Photo #2 was correct.

I repeated the mission (I have to load it again despite it was still on screen) but recording video before start.
Arriving to point #1 the camera took the position set, including the Gimbal Pitch angle and turned (smoothly, interpolation) to position and setting #2.

What am I missing to get the correct pitch angle at point #1?

Mission settings
Straight lines

Point 1

Point 2

Photo #2 was correct.

I repeated the mission (I have to load it again despite it was still on screen) but recording video before start.
Arriving to point #1 the camera took the position set, including the Gimbal Pitch angle and turned (smoothly, interpolation) to position and setting #2.

How close is WP 1 to your start? Assume that it didn't take photos at each WP when you started video before the mission, bird can't take photo while filming. You shouldn't have to, but try adding a 1-2 second delay (use the wait action) between the gimbal pitch and take photo actions.

Works for me, Litchi 3.10 on android 6.
Is your point 1 out of RC signal? Gimbal pitch auto adjust on interpolate mode only works when aircraft is within RC signal range.
I am using an iPad Mini. This is a test, all points are close, 30m high

How close is WP 1 to your start? Assume that it didn't take photos at each WP when you started video before the mission, bird can't take photo while filming. You shouldn't have to, but try adding a 1-2 second delay (use the wait action) between the gimbal pitch and take photo actions.
WP 1 is close to home point, 30m high.
This is a P4P, GO4 is able to take photos while filming but I understand other apps don't. No problem. The video was done just to record how the camera interpolation acts.
Main problem is that at WP1 (not filmming) the photo is taken but pitch angle is not what set.
I'll try adding a pause action before the photo and let you know. Thanks

No way.
I tried adding "wait 1 sec" before take the photo.
I also tried "take a photo" -> "Wait 1 sec" -> "Take a photo".
In both cases all actions are perfomed and THEN the camera pitches to -20.
I think this is because Interpolation acts between waypoints, so AFTER WP1 actions were performed.
The only way I have to set a fixed Gimbal Pitch value is setting mode to Interpolate.
So I deduct I have to add a new waypoint #1 near the present WP1 to get a real interpolation.
But another surprise, as far I can see I only can add a new WP AFTER WP1.
How can I create a new one BEFORE?

From Litchi manual:
For "Interpolate" to work, the previous or next waypoint need to be set to "Interpolate" as well.

So your assumption is correct. The -20deg was to interpolate WP2, not WP1. WP1 interpolation never took place as it doesnt have "previous" WP.
Simple workaround to your problem will be to add WP0 before WP1, set WP0 gimbal pitch interpolate and to any angle, preferrably -20 or some value near. This is just to make WP1 "interpolated".

I was wrong in my previous answer because I misunderstood your problem; i never took actions at WP1.

Reactions: Pharm and marciano
From Litchi manual:
For "Interpolate" to work, the previous or next waypoint need to be set to "Interpolate" as well.

So your assumption is correct. The -20deg was to interpolate WP2, not WP1. WP1 interpolation never took place as it doesnt have "previous" WP.
Simple workaround to your problem will be to add WP0 before WP1, set WP0 gimbal pitch interpolate and to any angle, preferrably -20 or some value near. This is just to make WP1 "interpolated".

I was wrong in my previous answer because I misunderstood your problem; i never took actions at WP1.
So, how to add WP0?

And by the way, if you are taking actions in WP then i assume you use straight line in your mission configuration.
If this is the case you would miss the point of "interpolate" which is to ensure smooth, slow transition of gimbal pitch between WP.
For photo you dont need that, you might as well set your gimbal pitch as one of WP action.

Sent from my SM-N910H using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: marciano
The only way i know is go to your wp1 menu, tap insert waypoint in the header, it will add new waypoint between wp1 and wp2. Move your wp1 to somewhere near (or anywhere you like) and move your new waypoint to where wp1 previously was.

... then copy all WP1 settings to the new WP2 and maybe change some WP1

And by the way, if you are taking actions in WP then i assume you use straight line in your mission configuration.
If this is the case you would miss the point of "interpolate" which is to ensure smooth, slow transition of gimbal pitch between WP.
For photo you dont need that, you might as well set your gimbal pitch as one of WP action.
Yes, of course, photos/straight lines. Interpolate is smooth (FPV) between points, not at the point themselves, of course (straight)

BTW, It is raining now I cannot check but yesterday I put a mission on hold but I didn't find a quick way to stop it but quitting the app

And another problem: At WP3 I set: Wait 1 sec; Take Photo; Start Recording
Photo was taken but it didn´t start recording

And another problem: At WP3 I set: Wait 1 sec; Take Photo; Start Recording
Photo was taken but it didn´t start recording
Actually, I would have tried to the wait between the photo and start recording just to make sure that the camera had finished storing the photo.

Last edited:
I thought that. Setting J+R takes a time. I don't know how the app works but It seems it does not wait until the photos are stored, 'start recording' acts immediately after the previous action is triggered no matter if it has finished. I'll try this evening.
The iOS manual user is very good. Anyway I'd add some tips.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I added Hold for 5 secs and it worked!

I asked this before:
"It is raining now I cannot check but yesterday I put a mission on hold but I didn't find a quick way to stop it but quitting the app"

I added Hold for 5 secs and it worked!

I asked this before:
"It is raining now I cannot check but yesterday I put a mission on hold but I didn't find a quick way to stop it but quitting the app"
You can stop a litchi mission anytime by switching the PAF switch back to P (for the P3 A/P).

Mission settings
Straight lines

Point 1

Point 2

Photo #2 was correct.

Add an action: Gimbal pitch -20 at WP1
before action: Take photo

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj