Litchi height limit?

Reaction score
Hi guys
Do Litchi have height limit nowadays? Seen a few videos of amazing over the clouds shots. But are those days over when you can get over 500m?

Sorry but those amazing over the clouds shots are now in most countries illegal so to speak. The height restriction to keep hobiest out of controlled air space is a height limit of 400 ft. Have to be really low clouds to get down to there. Might get a few shots in the mountains that low.

Sorry but those amazing over the clouds shots are now in most countries illegal so to speak. The height restriction to keep hobiest out of controlled air space is a height limit of 400 ft. Have to be really low clouds to get down to there. Might get a few shots in the mountains that low.

400' is a recommended limit given by the FAA (US), it's not where controlled airspace begins. 400' is certainly a good catch all limit when flying. It should only need to be adjusted when flying closer than 5 miles to an airport.

clouds here in nyc usually start at 1 mile high. so your battery will be half dead by the time you get there (forget about getting through the thick clouds at that point, your p3 is also not waterproof). also you will be pushing the limits of the battery and will likely get low cell errors and it will start auto landing (potentially causing the p3 to land where you cant get it), especially in cold weather.

I think that there can be a sort of automatic limit lift based on region by gps. example near high mountain 800ft .. the gps could set limit automatically to 1200 fr or more with a limited radius so that we can shot on top of mountains ect .. specially mountains and placed where there are no plane passing by. Maybe dji could think about it :) :) :)

Keith : Those regulations do not apply to Drones less than 55#. All of the craft mentioned need Pilots license Here are the FAA guidelines from their site
  • Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

Really ?
FEDERAL AVIATION REGULATIONS
Home > Aviation Regulations > Parts Index > Part 91 > Sec. 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Sec. 91.119 — Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—

(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and

(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

[Docket No. 18334, 54 FR 34294, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91–311, 75 FR 5223, Feb. 1, 2010]

Nothing you posted shows anything in my post is incorrect and only confirms what I posted.

My point was it's not just a recommendation, you fly over 400ft you enter controlled air space and that is a law violation

Hello thanks so much for all the info you bring about law violation i would like to know if the law apply to isolated island on which planes do not pass by. Isolated island on which you shall travel by boat because there are no plane and not helicopters here. Does those rules applies ?

Really ?
FEDERAL AVIATION REGULATIONS
Home > Aviation Regulations > Parts Index > Part 91 > Sec. 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Sec. 91.119 — Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—

(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and

(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

[Docket No. 18334, 54 FR 34294, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91–311, 75 FR 5223, Feb. 1, 2010]

Hello thanks so much for all the info you bring about law violation i would like to know if the law apply to isolated island on which planes do not pass by. Isolated island on which you shall travel by boat because there are no plane and not helicopters here. Does those rules applies ? Thank you co much very instructive what you said. thanks a lot.

I suggest reading AC 91-57A which is likely more accurate than what you might read in some of the posts in this thread.

Absolutely. The 400ft is a guideline and not a statute as it applies to UAVs in the weight class of a Phantom/Inspire.

My point was it's not just a recommendation, you fly over 400ft you enter controlled air space and that is a law violation

And again, you would be incorrect. It's _not_ a law and "controlled airspace" begins 1" off the ground.

I'm not advocating flying above 400', I'm just stating that flying above 400' is not illegal and it's not where controlled airspace begins.

You are correct. I am also not advocating flying higher than 400' but when people claim the 400' limit is some sort of codified law and it is illegal to do so, (especially when they claim that with such certainty) - it truly shows how misinformed they are.

And again, you would be incorrect. It's _not_ a law and "controlled airspace" begins 1" off the ground.

I'm not advocating flying above 400', I'm just stating that flying above 400' is not illegal and it's not where controlled airspace begins.

Sorry dude - the rules you cited are for N-numbered aircraft, not UAS between 0.5lb-->55lb. That is why they talk about safety harnesses and crew members in the same subsection. You may want to actually read the rules in their entirety or consult with someone more versed in the area before assuming anything else.

But to help you out, I will quote the FAA rules here directly off their website:

"Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

• Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft"

Well must be Sec. 91.119 is a fantasy, so I'm going to email the FAA and tell them so, that part where it said "no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes" isn't really a law and the "so-called" Controlled air-space is where ever you say, I can rest easy now knowing the FAA Rules are just BS so I can fly where ever I want to, thanks for educating a dumbbell like me and I'm sure the FAA will enjoy hearing from me.

Reactions: Discoverydave
Thanks for your editorial Keith, but the issue originally was that it was a guideline, not a law. It's a guidelineAnd that was proven to you. You may also want to decrease the font size you use.

It's going to be a sad day when fines and jail time is handed down to those who are "strongly encouraged" but
decide not to go by any guidelines, I can hardly wait

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers