Litchi; Google Earth show no altitude for ...

Reaction score
Can someone verify that both Litchi and Google Earth Pro show no altitude on Monhegan Island, Maine? I have a flight planned there and was there doing a preflight recon yesterday. It has a lot of moderate altitude changes but these GIS systems do not seem to provide any data. I did the Google Earth Path with Elevation showing but there is no variation. This will be hard to script in Litchi without some elevation data methinks ....

It was 89 degrees on the mainland and 58 degrees on the island with winds 220/32G48 and 6 foot seas. Nice "green" ferry ride back. The ferry is a 60 footer - tossed like a salad.

Thanks ....

Island must have sank. ;) G.E. shows -25 feet on average here.

G.E. isn't to be trusted at times. I've flown inside of mountains at times relying on its data. Probably using DJI barometers for their data. :D

Reactions: pomonabill220
That's what I was afraid of. Litchi reports the first waypoint as being -25 feet below starting point.
Sigh ... I suppose I would need a paying client to get me back out there with ANY hopes of finding a calm enough day to send a device into the air. I will look at my topography app I have and see if its any better.

Sheesh, the bloody place was first settled in the late 1600's ... ya'd think someone might wanna know how far outta the water it sticks!

The Maine Office of GIS has LIDAR derived 2 foot contours of the island. I have converted the shp file to Google Earth KMZ format in my GIS software. Link to the 5mb file is below. I've included attributes, so left clicking on a contour will show elevation data. You should see a "3d" view of the contours when you open the file in GE. I'm not sure yet how to create a Litchi path based on this data, I'll leave that up to you.

MonheganIsland_KMZ.kmz

The Maine Office of GIS has LIDAR derived 2 foot contours of the island. I have converted the shp file to Google Earth KMZ format in my GIS software. Link to the 5mb file is below. I've included attributes, so left clicking on a contour will show elevation data. You should see a "3d" view of the contours when you open the file in GE. I'm not sure yet how to create a Litchi path based on this data, I'll leave that up to you.

MonheganIsland_KMZ.kmz
Thank you sir!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj