Litchi destroyed my PS3

Sorry for the loss of your Phantom, the tree must have been pretty close to your take off point if you did not have time to switch the flight mode back to P.

I'm hoping on reflection you wished you set the subject of this thread to "I crashed my Phantom using Litchi"

Reading this thread though is still slightly amusing that people need to explain that flying around or over an object requires multiple waypoints, it reminds me of the lawsuits about hot drinks years back.

Caution_hot.jpg

Reactions: Signals
General aviation rules,
"When things don't go as expected-TAKE OVER"
" Use proper level of automation for the task"

Sorry for you lost.

Common sense - an oxymoron?
It seems someone has to create a "Litchi for dummies" book and I don't mean that as a demeanor of the OP! To the contrary. The dummy books have been created to take newcomers and explain in depth even the most basic details, the manuals often forget as they are written by people knowing the topic very well. For them, not knowing some basics, doesn't exists. As long as such comprehensive manual doesn't exist. Common sense should have lead the user to acknowledge he doesn't know for sure. Nothing helps more than an open field and finding the issing answer by taking babysteps and check every function on how it behaves.

Btw. The hot coffee lawsuit that became a mokery of the US legal system around the world was with a well know hamburger franchise not Starbucks. Good for sdharris he lives in England so Starbucks is less likely to sue him for defamation Just lovin' it ☺

A lil common sense would had saved your phantom 3... But it's alot easier to blame an app right?
I don't totally agree with this. Common sense would be trying out the functionality in a suitable environment. After knowing what to expect the app should do as promissed. Other wise why use an app in the first place if one can't trust it's functioning.

Btw. The hot coffee lawsuit that became a mokery of the US legal system around the world was with a well know hamburger franchise not Starbucks. Good for sdharris he lives in England so Starbucks is less likely to sue him for defamation Just lovin' it ☺

Yeah I know - but who wants to be reminded of hamburgers at 10am in the morning? Couldn't risk even seeing a picture of one in the background!

I don't totally agree with this. Common sense would be trying out the functionality in a suitable environment. After knowing what to expect the app should do as promissed. Other wise why use an app in the first place if one can't trust it's functioning.

The app performs exactly as advertised..... Just like the vision app gs.. This is why you set your first waypoint as close as posible to the home point. Then again like i said.. it's easier to blame an app. by the way the app did what it was instructed to do by the pilot.

Note to self...
Never talk bad about litchi app.

Can you please explain how you come to this conclusion as it seems you think some posters are biased toward Litchi?

In this case there is 100% failure on operators part and 0% fault of Litchi. I also don't see where Litchi didn't perform as promised as mentioned above.

If people need an idot proof quad/app they are in the wrong field as flying quads is surely not meant to be done by idiots (although it happens every day with the results to match).

I find it safer to take off manually and confirm craft is working properly, then rise above treeline or other obstacles before initiating auto missions. I also prefer to set last waypoint above home and then land only when I know the landing site is clear.

Last edited:
ok, let me understand because tomorrow I'll receive my first phantom 3 and my intention is to use litchi in automatic mission...so, before to make troubles....when are created an auto flight mission, is necessary to put above or very close the home point a waypoint with an altitude >near obstacles? same also for last waypoint before to return in homebase?

because if I set the first waypoint too much far from homebase with a specific altitude, the phantom in auto takeoff go directly to wp1 in a diagonal climb, right?

Reactions: ViperNuke
ok, let me understand because tomorrow I'll receive my first phantom 3 and my intention is to use litchi in automatic mission...so, before to make troubles....when are created an auto flight mission, is necessary to put above or very close the home point a waypoint with an altitude >near obstacles? same also for last waypoint before to return in homebase?

because if I set the first waypoint too much far from homebase with a specific altitude, the phantom in auto takeoff go directly to wp1 in a diagonal climb, right?
correct.

I'd never heard of litchi, looks cool, is there any IOS version? I can't find it in the app store...

Android only.

And to the OP its a good thing it flies a line between WPs. If it did everything by doing elevation and horizontal movements individually it would not look cinematic. The whole point is to have fluid shots.

Sucks for original poster and this behavior was mentioned on litchi's Google group, though searching those groups are not fun, you really have to keep up daily over there for changes and these type of behavior. Also this is exactly why I never use auto take off to start a mission, I always get the bird in the air at altitude, make sure nothing with it is irregular and then load mission, flip to F and then start mission

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sergio:
It is pretty simple and makes a lot of sense the moment you understand the basic principle.
Every waypoint represents a location In 3 dimensions. Everyone has no trouble to understand the first 2 dimensions as it is clearly shown as a point on the map. Therefore it is not hard to understand the quad is flying in a straight line towards this point from where ever it is at the moment you start the mission.
BUT in reality the waypoint is a 3 dimensional point in space. The height of the waypoint is the 3rd dimension.
As explained before the quad will fly to the waypoint in a straight line in all dimensions!
As soon as this s concept is clear, you should have no trouble setting up safe missions in either DJI Go or Litchi or others apps. Don't forget, the moment you start the mission the quad will fly from the current location to waypoint 1. It is your responsibility to make sure your mission is flown in a safe environment, clear of any obstacles, not only in regard to the mission from the first to the last waypoint but also for the start before the first waypoint.
If using automated launch, make sure nothing is in the way between your launch point and the first waypoint. The safest and easiest way to do so is to have the first waypoint close to your launch point and also to end the mission close by. This way you avoid most problems. If you choose differently, it is certainly possible just use common sense and due diligence and you will have no problems.
Enjoy your flying!

Reactions: sergio76x
Sorry to hear about your crash. I wondered about flying to the first waypoint and at what height it would fly. As a precaution I always set my first waypoint above my homepoint and at the height of my intended first waypoint. Seems I did the right thing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Man.Of.Kent

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31