Litchi crashed my p4

Will DJI deny warranty because you are using a 3rd party app to control the Phantom? Does anyone know?

Wow brother, that's a tough one. Sorry about your crash. I don't understand why everyone is so down on the DJI GO app. It's meant for the Phantom. You won't find me using anything else.

Scary, my understanding is that even if any third party or DJI go application wanted to flip the bird over, that wouldn't be possible unless it's switch to manual.

Watching that video is like watching a nightmare happen. I cannot imagine what you were feeling as that thing was upside down and coming down quick. The way it was jerking almost looks like it was trying to flip back over.

I am not sure what happened to you, but your terrible experience reminded me an advise that my flight instructor always reminded us (trainees wanting to be drone pilots) when we were coming home quickly with low batteries. That flight instructor is also Spanish Air Force heavy helicopter pilot, and he was repeating us not to go down vertically for a long period with copters because sometimes, the propellers could stall if they were inmersed in the vertical airflow produced by the falling drone. I wonder if during your drone's trip down, a couple of propellers reduced speed to compensate some attitude, and then stalled causing the drone to flip.

I have recently started flights with my P4, received by the end of April. Since then I had always the "poor video signal" announcement and the camera "squeak" when initializing... Since last update of new firmware it seems everything is OK now.

I am not sure what happened to you, but your terrible experience reminded me an advise that my flight instructor always reminded us (trainees wanting to be drone pilots) when we were coming home quickly with low batteries. That flight instructor is also Spanish Air Force heavy helicopter pilot, and he was repeating us not to go down vertically for a long period with copters because sometimes, the propellers could stall if they were inmersed in the vertical airflow produced by the falling drone. I wonder if during your drone's trip down, a couple of propellers reduced speed to compensate some attitude, and then stalled causing the drone to flip.

I have recently started flights with my P4, received by the end of April. Since then I had always the "poor video signal" announcement and the camera "squeak" when initializing... Since last update of new firmware it seems everything is OK now.
Vortex Ring State
Tons of videos and information. This affected mostly Phantom 1 and 2. It's my understanding Phantom 3 and 4 introduced some algorithm to avoid (or prevent as much as possible) this.
However, I dont think that VRS will cause a flip over. I think it's more like a stall condition, just as you stated it.

Reactions: snowghost
From the vid and experience your propeller either fell off or you hit something that damaged one of the propellers.

From the vid and experience your propeller either fell off or you hit something that damaged one of the propellers.
The prop didn't came off as all props were broken and a half was still attached to the motors. It also didn't hit anything as there was nothing around it. It crashed down in the middle of the open river..

As i see it it was coming down with the return to home function and then it flipped over and crashed. I didnt had any control over the situation after waypoint one besides pressing the RTH button which started working after a couple times pressing. The fact that all waypoints were set at 10m altitude and the drone started to rise up towards 400m after waypoint one is when the nightmare started. The flipping over just made it complete.

If that was the case? (which is not because all 4 were still on the quad. Broken in half but still attached) the prop should fell off way earlier as it made some other more heavy manoeuvres before coming down right?

What about accidentally activating the motor kill mode with the sticks? sorry if that's not the right terminology.

What about accidentally activating the motor kill mode with the sticks? sorry if that's not the right terminology.

That would have been recorded in the log. There was no CSC. However, it appears to me that the motors did stop during the auto land - all motors stopped is the only explanation for a fairly stable inverted fall. Given that the aircraft altitude data are obviously incorrect at the end of the flight (indicating that it was climbing when, from the video, it was clearly descending), my guess is still that it did an autonomous motor shut down because it thought that it was no longer descending (i.e. had landed).

There was a similar crash a few weeks ago in Australia where a motor came off because of loose hex nuts it is suspected.

Sorry to hear that.

I use Litchi all the time. I've never had a problem with it (P3 not 4) but I have learned a lot.

#1 - Always, always, always fly with your finger on the F,A,P switch. If anything unusual happens don't mess with the app, just flick that switch to P. At that point the App is no longer in control and it will stop and hover until you fly it home.

#2 - If you're not careful is it easy to accidentally adjust the altitude of waypoints, particularly on small screens. It's not out of the realm of possibility that you were looking things over, brushed the screen over where the alt slider is and now that waypoint is super high or low.

#3 - Always, always, always fly with your finger on the F,A,P switch. If anything unusual happens don't mess with the app, just flick that switch to P.

#4 - Save all of your missions. It is very useful for debugging later. 99% of the time I had problems the mistake was mine. It is very powerful but can be finicky.

#5 - Always, always, always fly with your finger on the F,A,P switch. If anything unusual happens don't mess with the app, just flick that switch to P. I may have mentioned that before.

Hope things are up and running again soon.

I've used Litchi twice, I sent White Betty on a 14 minute mission, three miles away, in a densely populated residence. I had to wait for her to come back, as I lost signal with her 30 seconds after she took off. She returned, and the video I later watched showed that she followed the course I set out. All of this is to say that I haven't had an issue with the app.
This is how my missions work too. I get WARNING DISCONNECTED but the missions complete OK

Sorry to hear that.

I use Litchi all the time. I've never had a problem with it (P3 not 4) but I have learned a lot.

#1 - Always, always, always fly with your finger on the F,A,P switch. If anything unusual happens don't mess with the app, just flick that switch to P. At that point the App is no longer in control and it will stop and hover until you fly it home.

#2 - If you're not careful is it easy to accidentally adjust the altitude of waypoints, particularly on small screens. It's not out of the realm of possibility that you were looking things over, brushed the screen over where the alt slider is and now that waypoint is super high or low.

#3 - Always, always, always fly with your finger on the F,A,P switch. If anything unusual happens don't mess with the app, just flick that switch to P.

#4 - Save all of your missions. It is very useful for debugging later. 99% of the time I had problems the mistake was mine. It is very powerful but can be finicky.

#5 - Always, always, always fly with your finger on the F,A,P switch. If anything unusual happens don't mess with the app, just flick that switch to P. I may have mentioned that before.

Great advice. I follow these rules too

Looks just like when I had a esc plug to the mother board come loose on a P2, except it spun very fast coming down with the other motors still working. I lean toward total motors stopping, with a esc/motor failure still possible. Was the P4 descending by stick input, while in atti mode? Was RTH button pressed-see where this is going? And will RTH function if in Atti? I have used Lichi plenty of times no problem, why are altitudes not showing on your mission map? I would like to see screen shots of you mission parameters and wp1 and wp2. Sar104 I think is more on to it. Because of the conflicting altitude data, barometer issue? Like I said, used Lichi often, but for only missions, rest is dji app. Did you start in Lichi, if not did you close the dji app before starting?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack1926
Sorry to hear that.

Hope things are up and running again soon.

That's EXACTLY what I have done Every Single Time I have used ANY of the Smart Functions with the Go App, or Litchi. My finger Never Leaves the "Bottom" of the Switch, So I can Flip it up ASAP!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic