Litchi App..Should I Get It?

Reaction score
So, I'm fairly new to the P3S, got it about a week ago. I was browsing the forums to just expand my knowledge about drones and flying when I read about the litchi app. After looking for a while, I can't seem to find a thread that discusses its benefits and why one would want to use it over the DJI Go app.

Can you guys help me out? Why should I use the Litchi app over DJI Go? What are the differences between the two?

Thanks in advance.

So, I'm fairly new to the P3S, got it about a week ago. I was browsing the forums to just expand my knowledge about drones and flying when I read about the litchi app. After looking for a while, I can't seem to find a thread that discusses its benefits and why one would want to use it over the DJI Go app.

Can you guys help me out? Why should I use the Litchi app over DJI Go? What are the differences between the two?

Thanks in advance.
The short answer is, you probably will eventually want Litchi if they get the latest bug or two ironed out. But in the meantime, you could probably be better staying with something not as complicated as Litchi until you get good enough and familiar enough with your bird that you get a bit bored. Then think about it.

Litchi does have a few advanced features not available withDJI Go, but for now they are probably not real useful to you. You know that old walk before you run thing. That's my 2 cents anyway.

What are your goals? For manual Flight and exploration I so far find it a toss up. But don't have tons of hours.

But for me, my P3S is a platform for videography. So I use Litchi's ability to provide smooth preprogrammed (and repeatable) movements key to getting good video. Here is an interesting example of something I'm experimenting with. I shot video of a preprogrammed autonomous Litchi mission in a couple of occasions. Then I faded back and forth between the two. Interesting effect. My real goal is to run the mission through all the seasons and create a morphing video.

For me the deciding factor was the litchi missions. The fact that I could create a mission and it would go out and do it, regardless of whether it lost signal or not. There are other great features on it, but that's the main reason I bought it

For me the deciding factor was the litchi missions. The fact that I could create a mission and it would go out and do it, regardless of whether it lost signal or not. There are other great features on it, but that's the main reason I bought it

Yes, I bought a copy of Litchi for the same reason.

Haven't been game to try it yet.

Looks like a lot of fun though.

Thanks in advance.

Ok you have various posts in reply ... and I'll add to the pot.

I was testing combinations of GO with FW and finally I decided to try out Litchi.

First lets clear one thing ...... they both do similar but with slightly different screen displays. If you fly normally - then both do it and both do it well. There's no real advantage of one over other .... unless a) Google Maps are better where you live .... b) you are absent minded about starting video record ! The Litchi has it hands down.
But you will still have GO somewhere to give you updates and calibrations that Litchi cannot do ...

Normal flying differences :

Litchi has user selectable Auto Start video recording
Litchi has Google maps
Litchi does not have RTH icon but it does in Ground Station mode

GO has RTH icon
GO has HERE Maps

In the advanced features Litchi leaves GO behind and moves into another world.

To be honest - if you are happy flying with GO ... then flying with Litchi is about the same ... just remember switch S2 !! I don't see any reason to stay with GO even for a newcomer except to just have first flight or two.

But what I do think is imporrtant is to learn to fly the P3 so that any awkward events are not reasons to panic ... be able to manually bring her home ... its too easy to rely on the functions instead of learning what to do when it all falls apart.

Nigel

Reactions: Solly747400
@ bsartist great video...fab mission .earths garden beauty [emoji1374][emoji882]

Bought Litchi just today, planned a mission and went straight out and flew it flawlessly - wicked app :)

Love things this simple to use .......... well after you understand where the log in button is in the app, only thing not intuitive

Reactions: Andy-M
My first small Litchi mission yesterday, in a field watching my P3 Standard do it's thing without me doing anything but standing and watching.

Hoping my future missions will get bigger and better....

Last edited:
I'm starting to get silly mishaps with the Video recording .... but I think this is card based more than anything.

This weekend - went flying and first flight in a 400m radius was fine ... all recording good ... screen and on-board.
Second flight sent her out to distance and as she went out - video feed froze ... screen just stayed last frame ... then restarted .... stopped again .... restarted ..... it was only when flying back and getting close again that it sorted itself.

Here's first flight at the ex Soviet Fighter station with no problems (you get to see the Mig 17 ....) ...

Here are the two recordings of same flight ... first is the tablet screen ...

Second is the on-board camera recording ...

I have now formatted the card ... put the FW and Text file back (it then updates any new battery I may buy automatically) ... ready to fly again when weather improves.

Nigel

I alternate using an iPad mini and an Android Nexus 5 phone... I'm assuming that, if I wanted to use Litchi, I would have to buy it twice to use it on both devices... is that correct? What would happen to someone using, say, an iPad and an iPhone? Would in that case one license be enough?

I alternate using an iPad mini and an Android Nexus 5 phone... I'm assuming that, if I wanted to use Litchi, I would have to buy it twice to use it on both devices... is that correct? What would happen to someone using, say, an iPad and an iPhone? Would in that case one license be enough?
When I purchased the Litchi app google play downloaded the app to my android device.
I think if you want to add it to a second device you would have to buy the app again.

When I purchased the Litchi app google play downloaded the app to my android device.
I think if you want to add it to a second device you would have to buy the app again.
Pretty much every Google App I know of can be installed on any device where you are logged in with your account. I would be really surprised if you needed to buy Litchi more than once for Android devices (clearly you must be logged with the same account)

Reactions: Solly747400

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4