Litchi app crashing my iPhone?

Reaction score
Since upgrading to iOS 10 on my iPhone 6, I've had a couple of Litchi outings where, in the middle of a waypoint mission, the iPhone shuts down. The phone works normally otherwise, when not attached and running Litchi. It did this several times on Saturday. I checked and found a Litchi update, so I updated. I flew 4 routes with it yesterday, but on the the 5th route, the phone crashed again. Naturally, the drone completed the mission without difficulty, but it's a little disconcerting. Since that last mission I did re-sync my phone and hard-restart it but haven't flown it since. I did change cables, switching to an actual Apple cable since I've noticed that since the iOS update, there is more of an issue with third-party cables.

Anybody else seeing issues with iPhone and Litchi? Any other ideas?

Did your phone receive a call or text during the Litchi mission? Mentioned because I was reading the competitor's manual and it said if an incoming call comes in, the app will drop and the drone will go into hover mode. If the call is declined, the phone screen may go dark and app may not resume if it isn't using its own flight system.. Second would be to completely uninstall Litchi and reinstall clean.

Did your phone receive a call or text during the Litchi mission? Mentioned because I was reading the competitor's manual and it said if an incoming call comes in, the app will drop and the drone will go into hover mode. If the call is declined, the phone screen may go dark and app may not resume if it isn't using its own flight system.. Second would be to completely uninstall Litchi and reinstall clean.
Interesting thought. Not that I'm aware of. No incoming calls or messages that I can see. The phone just completely shuts down right in the middle of the flight. The drone flew and and landed as if nothing had happened.

Thanks for the idea though. My fear is that the Litchi app is causing the problem. I always close all the other programs before flying so that Litchi is the only thing running, but next time I'll try flying the mission in Airplane mode with wifi/cellular/Bluetooth turned off after I load the map.

I have the iPhone 6 Plus and had Litchi shut down on FPV just a minute ago. It closed and the phone was not hot with all the apps shut off. I just got fpv goggles just for this and that worries me.

This is a problem I've been having for awhile, but it was particularly intrusive this morning. I'm wondering if you've seen this kind of issue before....

I went out this morning for a couple of sunrise missions on one of my commercial ventures. It was a little chilly...about 38 degrees F. My iPhone 6s running iOS 10.0.02 had 51% battery. Good signal. Wifi and bluetooth off, all other apps closed. Litchi version 1.12.4 (latest). I've flown this mission several times before. After the latest Litchi and iOS update...that's when the phone started crashing mid-mission. The phone works perfectly with all other apps, including DJI GO. This Phantom 4 has the most recent drone and transmitter firmware and has never given me any trouble. Flight battery was fully charged, transmitter battery was about 55% charged.

So, this morning, everything starts up normally. Loaded the mission, started the mission...all went well until, again, part way through the mission the phone just shut down. I didn't do anything, just let the drone finish the mission, which it did, no problem. After landing, I restarted the phone, found that Litchi had crashed and apparently shut down the phone at the same time. No warnings, no dialogues. So, I restarted Litchi, had to re-load the same mission, ran the mission again. Same result...Litchi crashed and took the phone with it, only sooner into this mission this time.

Interestingly, while the drone was still flying, on the third flight after the phone crashed again, I restarted the iPhone and it flashed up the dead battery icon. I hit the ON button on the phone again and it restarted normally, but after it booted up, the battery level read 48%.

So, I wonder if Litchi isn't somehow screwing with the iPhone's interpretation of its battery level, making the phone think the battery is dead and shutting it down. I'm going to try charging the phone to 100% and see if it still crashes, and if so, how far into the mission.

Any ideas?

Howard McCollister

Sent from iPad

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31