Litchi and the Wind

Reaction score
I have a question for anyone using the litchi app. What is the maximum wind you have used it in and still good decent video and stills? I'm not looking to push the limits, just define them before I start.

Also, overall, how do you feel it does in wind? I get it's fearless ;) It's more about MY comfort level!

Thanks!

Litchi has nothing to do with this. The movement of the P3 is always controlled by the controller or the P3 itself. So it does not matter what app you are using.

I've probably flown the P3 in 15mph winds. I've flown the P2V+ in higher winds. There are many people who have flown the P3 in 20+mph winds without issue. Keep in mind, 10mph winds on the ground can be much higher 300' up.

Reactions: Jtrjr and JBG
Thanks for the response. It did get me thinking!

I think it would actually has something to do with it, but I may be wrong. Litchi is able to, I believe, execute maneuvers more smoothly than I can. In addition, it doesn't have the emotional element to wind a human might. So that is one part of the equation.

I would think then, the other part, is exactly what you said. The characteristics of the P3 itself in wind.

So, to me, the combination is important.

In short, I just wanted to see at what point with wind, do you stop getting decent footage, taking out the human element.

Now, it may seem I'm asking to push the limits. Not in the least! I want to know at what point it becomes unsafe and unproductive. Is it 15 mph, 20 mph, 25 mpg, or 11 mph? I'm too new to know :) But I have been around forums enough to know, especially with this one, I bet someone knows! :)

Thanks again!

In short, I just wanted to see at what point with wind, do you stop getting decent footage, taking out the human element.
Frankly, I think this is very dependent upon the situation and pilot... the definition of "decent footage" will vary quite a bit... In my opinion, the only thing that can potentially jeopardize the results are propeller visibility... you either see them in the video/images or you don't.

So, from that perspective, your flight plan vs the wind direction and strength (and gusts) will determine whether the props might appear in the video/images or not... otherwise, all results will be decent in the eye of this beholder.

Also, overall, how do you feel it does in wind? I get it's fearless ;) It's more about MY comfort level!

AP4,

I think the other guys have mostly answered your question. Litchi isn't going to make anything "smoother" unless you're specifically talking about waypoint or ground station flying. For me, the higher the wind speed, the less likely I am to execute waypoint flights.

I can get extremely smooth video in higher winds (15-25mph) by flying into the wind and flipping to ATTI mode to float with the wind over the area I want to capture. The app itself isn't going to effect things very much in my opinion.

For me, 12-15mph is about the max I want to fly in unless I'm just trying to use the wind for the fun of it. The bird and the battery have to work a lot harder in the higher winds. It makes it a bit harder, especially when waypoint flying, to estimate battery depletion.

Just my opinions, of course.

Jerry

AP4,

I think the other guys have mostly answered your question. Litchi isn't going to make anything "smoother" unless you're specifically talking about waypoint or ground station flying. For me, the higher the wind speed, the less likely I am to execute waypoint flights.

I can get extremely smooth video in higher winds (15-25mph) by flying into the wind and flipping to ATTI mode to float with the wind over the area I want to capture. The app itself isn't going to effect things very much in my opinion.

For me, 12-15mph is about the max I want to fly in unless I'm just trying to use the wind for the fun of it. The bird and the battery have to work a lot harder in the higher winds. It makes it a bit harder, especially when waypoint flying, to estimate battery depletion.

Just my opinions, of course.

Jerry

Ha! Waypoints are exactly what I was wanting to know about! I obviously need to work on how to ask qeustions :)

This thread is already a goldmine of great info for me. Thanks much for taking the time to comment. You are answering the questions I didn't even know I had yet!

Thanks much for taking the time to comment. You are answering the questions I didn't even know I had yet!

AP4,

I've posted this many times before but since you're interested in Litchi waypoint flying, you might get a charge out of this. I can re-run it anytime I choose.

Jerry

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Dadcat
During waypoint missions Litchi isn't directly flying the Phantom, it just uploads detailed instructions to the Phantom with waypoints headings, gimbal angle, etc. Up to a point (probably 25 MPH winds) the Phantom can accommodate those instructions. You might see landing gear or propellers in your shots if it is really windy, the gimbal can only do so much in high winds.

JM, thanks for that info. That helps me a ton!

Jerry....wow! That is CRAZY cool! I never would have thought to do something like that! What a great use! Did you come up with that idea? SO cool!

Very cool indeed Jtrjr.

All it takes is Google Maps and Litchi and maybe some advance scouting for tall objects. One way to scout is manually fly just above treetop level, note the altitude, and do a FPV scan of the horizon. See if any objects are taller than the horizon and you know what to avoid or fly higher than.

Reactions: NRJ
Even if something doesn't show up on a satellite map, if you shoot the heading and range the target, you can send it on a mission to that and or multiple targets.

One way to scout is manually fly just above treetop level, note the altitude, and do a FPV scan of the horizon.

Jick,

Good point. I'll usually fly my first couple of runs way up high and then come down after viewing the footage from the higher runs.

Jerry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers