Litchi almost made my P3 crash!!!! (Waypoints is dangerous!)

Reaction score
Hey i had an very scary and unacceptable flying experience today! So i made this 6000 m route.
7cdc6352b0bf99a4caf99c5e18883451.jpg

I trusted it to go with no problem cause i just watched a video who flew the P3 Pro 13 km(Total) He flew 6.5 Km out, and i had 6.8 km in total and he came back with 15%. The litchi app said that it will take 10 min in total. So i didnt worry. So i set it on its mission. I walked inside as my friend was inside. We walked out at '':27 as it started the mission at "":19. And expected it to come back at "":29. But i saw nothing and no buzzing. I simply thought it was a little bit late. But at "" :40 i was very scared and lost hope. It was 10 min to late!! Finally i heard buzzing and i saw the drone!!! I was so happy ! Just one problem... Litchi sucks when it comes to video range. So i still didnt see the battery life. But it stopped a totally other spot than the last waypoint. I tried to get it back as it was landing. My heart even started hurting and i stressed. When i moved my stick to right (The way to get it towards me) But it just was descending faster when i did that. I had lost orientation but i finally made it point at me. I made it fly to me, I saw that it had bad battery as both back and front LEDS was flashing red. I took over and flew it fast down myself. I hand catched it but the video signal still haven't come back !! When finally inside the video signal came and i had 10%!!! I trust the app as much as before, it almost made my 600$ Phantom 3 Standard crash.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'll start by saying that I've never used Litchi but I'm pretty sure from reading your post that its not the apps fault. From your description, it did exactly as it was told. I would say that basing your mission on a video you just watched was probably a bad plan. I would guess that wind likely played a factor in the time difference. Was it windy out that day?

I'm surprised you can get that distance with wifi on a standard.

That looks like a pretty heavily populated area your flying in. Glad no one was injured.

I'll start by saying that I've never used Litchi but I'm pretty sure from reading your post that its not the apps fault. From your description, it did exactly as it was told. I would say that basing your mission on a video you just watched was probably a bad plan. I would guess that wind likely played a factor in the time difference. Was it windy out that day?

I'm surprised you can get that distance with wifi on a standard.

That looks like a pretty heavily populated area your flying in. Glad no one was injured.

No wind, and the drone Even tried to land in a totally diffrent spot. And the P3 S dosent have that much range, in litchi i just got 100 meters, in DJI go app i can way more, litchi will make the drone fly the mission without signal.

Go to Litchi's Mission Planner, set this mission to public and give us the link.

I've been using Litchi for months without a hiccup. Have you read the Litchi Manual perchance?

SB

Reactions: banjo gro
I think you were flying at 350 meters (correct?) or about 1,000'. Trust me, there's a lot more wind that high than on the surface.

SB

I just Found out something, at every waypoint i put 54km/h as cruising speed. But i now checked the square With settings thingy and it said " missions" at the top and the cruising speed was set to 22km/h.

I would estimate you were attempting to fly at max power in the neighborhood of 35 mph to cover that distance in that time. Not to criticize, but I believe you are over estimating your batteries ability. Litchi just did what it was instructed to do. Never have I had a problem with it so grave to call it a bad product.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Digdat0
I would estimate you were attempting to fly at max power in the neighborhood of 35 mph to cover that distance in that time. Not to criticize, but I believe you are over estimating your batteries ability. Litchi just did what it was instructed to do. Never have I had a problem with it so grave to call it a bad product.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

OK, but Why did it try to land 40 meters away?!

If the battery reaches critical set level, it will land automatically at its current location.

Litchi as I experienced is a reliable app provided you spend time in planning each way point correctly and set correct cruising speed. Consider wind speed, ground elevations and time to complete the mission.

You have the answer to one of your questions. The AC was landing 40m in front of you as it was almost certainly performing an auto land, expected with 10% battery level.

I saw a bloke on YouTube driving a car on two wheels, same make and model I have and said to be standard. I have no illusion that I might perform the same feat without considerable practice and experience.

Please do us all a favour and practice with simpler missions within LOS and get an appreciation of how things work. Learning the capabilities and performance of the AC in general might prove to be of great benefit also.

I'm pleased this had a happy ending. Could have been a lot worse.

I see no reason to suspect there is an issue with Litchi or the AC here.

Auto land? Battery was almost out. When the battery is under load, in the air powering the motors, the voltage drops. So an in flight battery reading is going to be lower than an on ground idle battery reading. It might have reached critical battery level and did the auto land failsafe. When you cut stop the motors, the voltage rises, that is probably why you saw a higher voltage reading than the failsafe voltage, which is 10% I think. Check the flight logs to be sure. Just because Litchi will let you plan out a mission for 10 miles , 20 or 100, does not mean your quad has the ability to do it. Plus you have to factor in wind etc.

Reactions: Traveler

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers