List of Steps to Fly a 1.1.1?

Reaction score
After sending the Phantom v1.2.1 back to Amazon, I'm ordering a v 1.1.1 tomorrow from another dealer. I know it says it can be flown "out of the box" but I also know there are downloads, calibrations and some basic understanding that is needed. Is there a list anywhere that explains what needs to be done and how?

I understand that there is little useful documentation included in the package and most rely on vids and info from the DJI website but how does one know which of the manuals to download?

From the reviews on Amazon, it seems like you're pretty much on your own to figure things out. I've read through most of the "helpful reviews" a few times but some don't give the version they have so what they say do may not be applicable to the 1.1.1 version.

I know these questions have had to be asked a thousand times before but I'm not having much luck with the search feature.

Thanks for any help!

1. Read the manual. I know that has been said many times, but it is really best advice.
2. Download the latest software and update the firmware on your Phantom.
3. Upon completion of firmware update, perform a calibration on the Naza software.
3a. Perform the basic calibration.
3b. Perform the advanced calibration. (Might not need it, but an extra 5 minutes won't ruin your fun)
4. Not really necessary, but you can also perform a transmitter calibration through the same Naza software.
5. Find a wide open field. Take all metal and electronic devices off of your body. Do the compass dance (lots of videos on this). You should get flashing green lights indicating you are good to fly.

I can't stress enough, read the manual and familiarize yourself with what the light patterns mean.

Good luck.

Order two or three Maddog 2700mah batteries from 2Dogrc.com. You will want more batteries and these are the best ones you can get to give you more flying time without modifying anything.

Look at YouTube videos of the phantom 1.1.1. Oddly there isn't instruction on where to put the two black top props and the two white top props. I had to search around before finally figuring out where they go.

You can go ahead and go to dji website and download latest drivers and software to save you setup time

I practiced flying a quadcopter on a U817C and learned a lot. Practiced in wide open field. The quadcopter flies fast.
Later practiced by home: recovered from roof. Dropped onto street with a car coming.
Learned a lot.

There is also an android app that gives practice on mode 2: Indoor Heli Sim
Flight training portion has 10 levels:
Intro Level 1, 2, 3
Elementary
Intermediate
Advanced
Expert
Custom (3D)

There are also great YouTube videos:
New Owner of DJI Phantom Video – Simon Newton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a0cZ_tp1Gk&list=UU1-HUeRKBGiKZrVhiOEtGjQ

How to fly a quadcopter
Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3E2pQnEDRI

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p6J8kgqyh0

Thanks guys! We live on a farm so finding big empty fields is not a problem right now. Hopefully, my hubby can learn enough before the corn is planted and gets too tall.

I got one extra battery for him. I'll let him order more if he wants them. I have a feeling I will be creating a monster and this is just the beginning of an expensive hobby. :lol:

I'll print off all I can before giving it to him and tell him he's got homework! Has anyone tried to save the vids from YouTube? Our internet connection at home is sometimes dicey for downloading vids and I thought downloading & saving them on my laptop at work might be worthwhile.

I really appreciate the all the info.

DaWife

Try keepvid.com to download the YouTube videos.

Btw how do I convince my wife to be more like you?? ;)

kydan said:
Try keepvid.com to download the YouTube videos.

Btw how do I convince my wife to be more like you?? ;)

Thanks for the keepvid link! I'll take a look at it.

As for part 2 of the quote... :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl