List of restricted airports/flying zones

Interesting. Looks like just bigger airports, not smaller airports or military facilities in the UK... Certainly is not showing CAA no fly zones.

Thanks for the link - I looked earlier but just could not find it !

Just to be clear - does this just applies to the waypoint functionality when it arrives ?
(unless it is the start of a slippery slope and our aircraft will not power up in one of these zones in tbe future)

It is of particular importance to me as all my local flying sites fall within the Liverpool zone :(
Edit: in the last 10 minutes the DJI site has been altered and now I am ok as thank goodness, we are category b :) Gave me quite a fright as the whole of south Liverpool looked like a no go zone !

Edit: it appears to be all flights within designated airspace to various extents ! No wonder the waypoint app was delayed.
I suppose it is in the interests of flight safety but it does feel a bit like big brother .....

Wait i just the video. http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc can you imagine flying or loosing the gps signal and making an incursion into an active airport and having the safety feature auto land this thing in the middle of an active runway? these peole think this will avoid a flyaway. they forget that the flyaway is a total loss of communication and lost gps signal meaning the phantom does not know where home is. just wait and see..

GMANNZ said:
LOL ... shows Wellington as CAT B ..... 0.6 mile ???? .... :lol: ... its 4 KM already under CAA rules here ... !!! :roll:

There's a lot of "CAT B" (per DJI) airports here too where .6 mile doesn't even cover the full tarmac, if the center point of the exclusion zone is right in the middle of the property.

slicknet said:
Gee, I can't find my cable. I guess I won't be upgrading my firmware for now.
Funny that, my cable also seems to have gone walkabout.

If this is what it needs for waypoint flying then I say you can keep it. I could never see the point of it anyway, quite fun to try once but then what use is it ?

I did a pre-order on friday, so will get the 3d gimbaled P2 maybe at beginning of may if lucky. 2 days after pre-order I read that safe zones are implemented. My hometown Tallinn, Estonia is a bit peculiar place because we have the airport near the center of town where I also happen to live. If my math is correct the open area where I plan to learn to fly it will have ca 200 feet ceiling. For beginner it's definitely enough. But later when wanting to do beauty shots of our old town that restriction will probably hamper it.

I do get the reasoning why you need to keep drones out of airports (and I would not want to fly there), but this safe zone does not take into account the flight corridors the planes actually use and seriously hampers the drone use for people who happen to live in cities with a small cat A airport nearby. So much even that they will need to decide if upgrading to the new firmware is viable.

evilfurryone said:
I did a pre-order on friday, so will get the 3d gimbaled P2 maybe at beginning of may if lucky. 2 days after pre-order I read that safe zones are implemented. My hometown Tallinn, Estonia is a bit peculiar place because we have the airport near the center of town where I also happen to live. If my math is correct the open area where I plan to learn to fly it will have ca 200 feet ceiling. For beginner it's definitely enough. But later when wanting to do beauty shots of our old town that restriction will probably hamper it.

I do get the reasoning why you need to keep drones out of airports (and I would not want to fly there), but this safe zone does not take into account the flight corridors the planes actually use and seriously hampers the drone use for people who happen to live in cities with a small cat A airport nearby. So much even that they will need to decide if upgrading to the new firmware is viable.

Yes, absolutely agree with you. If you read the sticky at the top of this page about firmware upgrades you will see that several other people also do not like this 'feature' so I am sure it will just be a question of time before someone hacks the code and removes the restriction.

I hate big brother ;)

Hello from sunny Benefice. Just a quick point to add to the P2V sellers and P2V+ buyers... As I read things over breakfast by the pool if you buy P2V+ it will have this latest firmware and therefore restrictions baked in, no way out. Keep the P2V (only losing out on 1080p60 as far as I can see on camera specs) and you have the choice... Until next firmware brings features you want anyway. ;)

This is super bad for all of us with Phantoms living in beautiful town of Tallinn, Estonia with a city airport. All old town is restricted :-(
It this restriction something that only is implemented on DJI Phantoms or most kind of quads/drones/etc? Feels like a real deal breaker if DJI fans will be discriminated and not be able to fly where others can!
Darn I am disappointed! Was so looking forward to catch this medieval city in it´s full glory when summer arrived. So sad!

XL-Studios said:
This is super bad for all of us with Phantoms living in beautiful town of Tallinn, Estonia with a city airport. All old town is restricted :-(
It this restriction something that only is implemented on DJI Phantoms or most kind of quads/drones/etc? Feels like a real deal breaker if DJI fans will be discriminated and not be able to fly where others can!
Darn I am disappointed! Was so looking forward to catch this medieval city in it´s full glory when summer arrived. So sad!

You can't use waypoints but you can get it up to ca 60-65 meters. Probably skipping the upgrade is best at the moment.

Pull_Up said:
Hello from sunny Benefice. Just a quick point to add to the P2V sellers and P2V+ buyers... As I read things over breakfast by the pool if you buy P2V+ it will have this latest firmware and therefore restrictions baked in, no way out. Keep the P2V (only losing out on 1080p60 as far as I can see on camera specs) and you have the choice... Until next firmware brings features you want anyway. ;)

Glad to see you have a wifi link out there. Trust you to be on holiday when this new quad lands :D A lot of people are already splashing the cash. I agree with you stay with the current rig and a Rotorpixel gimbal. See how this all pans out.

For anyone who wants the additional safety zone features without the limitations use this resource before you fly. It will keep you out of trouble in the UK.

http://notaminfo.com/ukmap

evilfurryone said:
XL-Studios said:

You can't use waypoints but you can get it up to ca 60-65 meters. Probably skipping the upgrade is best at the moment.

Thanks god for that! I realized I misunderstood the limitation a little. Just also realized take off is possible after 2,4km(1,5) not 8km(5miles) Did already the upgrade I am afraid. But at least I can still fly over Tall Hermann :) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikk_Hermann )

XL-Studios said:
evilfurryone said:
XL-Studios said:

Thanks god for that! I realized I misunderstood the limitation a little. Just also realized take off is possible after 2,4km(1,5) not 8km(5miles) Did already the upgrade I am afraid. But at least I can still fly over Tall Hermann :) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikk_Hermann )

Since you already upgraded your firmware. Can you confirm if the Safety zones feature can be disabled within the DJI Assistant app or is it permanently on. If its permanently on does it have options to edit the default distances in the safety areas?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20