LiPo storage for Vision Batteries

For storage, I thought that a LiPo battery should be stored full, or near full?

I believe that I read that they should NOT be stored at or near empty.

For many Lithium chemistry batteries (there are several major variations,
and many subtle variations), it is usually better to store them around half
full, I believe.

I would just put the pv2 in a hover just in front of you and watch the battery meter or view the battery percentage with the app. You can then land it when the battery gets to the level you want. Storage of the battery should be around 50%. That's what I do to get down to the 8% for a full recharge.

What I did was buy a 12 volt 1157 auto bulb holder and an 1157 bulb at Auto Zone. I soldered the 2 leads together so both elements would burn. Then soldered on a lead wire on the holder exterior as a ground wire. I tinned the ends of the two wires to make them solid, and insert them into the battery terminal slots. Bulbs don't care about polarity, so it doesn't matter which goes where. Then I let it burn the bulb until the battery discharged until the second led was flashing.
It worked for me. The battery didn't seem to care what it was running. Didn't get hot or anything.

The bulb gets hot though so don't let the bulb touch anything.

urgno said:
I wonder why nobody uses the search function ;)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4585

Thank you so much for the comment. That particular thread, which I saw, some time ago, did not answer my question to my satisfaction. Flying "on the bench" and using assistant software is rather cumbersome. That is the reason I started a new query. I sincerely hope it did not trouble you too much.

in fact if you go on second page you will find my pics and my way :roll:
hope it did not trouble you too much to go to second page :mrgreen:

urgno said:
in fact if you go on second page you will find my pics and my way :roll:
hope it did not trouble you too much to go to second page :mrgreen:

I went there. And I saw your solution. I have a different charger and did not want to risk messing around with the program. If I recall, you were not using a standard LiPl discharge program, though I could be wrong. I like the solution I found on this thread regarding using a simple automotive bulb. Not as "hi-tech' as yours, but I'm only a simple retired engineer from a brushless motor design house :p and hardly in your rarefied league.

lol i guess we are not so far in age ;) and I'm not part of any league, just have good lipo chargers for the hely I fly

the bulb of course is a perfect solution but be careful to use the right wattage
and always keep one eye on leds because going too low on lipo is very bad

on my charger in fact I'm using PB discharge program because don't need the balancer connected and can be configured on how much amps you want to draw from the battery and at what voltage to stop

peace ;)

As urgno said, I'd keep an eye on the gauge... I don't know if the SmartBattery is only "smart" when connected to the PV to self-terminate discharge, or whether there's a MOSFET inside the battery to break the connection standalone. One things for certain, if its the former & you're not watching, it'll be the last time you fly on that $159 battery.

iDrone :|

coloradosky said:
Nice work urgno and fizzviic- that conversation could have gone bad, and you both recovered like gentlemen. Good to see the respect!

:)
thanks coloradosky
well, I guess we are grown up enough to be gentleman ;)

urgno said:
coloradosky said:
Nice work urgno and fizzviic- that conversation could have gone bad, and you both recovered like gentlemen. Good to see the respect!

thanks coloradosky

Well, I guess one of us is a gentleman. :p Last time I looked, I was of the "gentelwoman" breed, hehe :eek:

fizzviic said:
urgno said:
coloradosky said:

thanks coloradosky

Well, I guess one of us is a gentleman. :p Last time I looked, I was of the "gentelwoman" breed, hehe :eek:

Oooooops... :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl