Lipo fires

Not something to be too concerned about IF you handle your batteries with caution.
-try not to charge them unattended
-don't leave in the back of a hot car,.etc.
-don't drop them in water or puncture them with a nail :D

But lipo fires seem to e very uncommon, that or they haven't been reported much.

Actually yes... we had a guy at the track smoke 2x 4s batteries in a bag... he was doing all the right things except the bag was open... so we had a bit of a flash fire...

Dont let your batteries get below 3.2v per cell...(the actual threshold is 3.0v) and try to never charge at over 1C... I realize that the stock charger allows you to charge at 3A which is 1.3C... I wouldnt advise going over that... even with a better charger... also its safer to always balance charge... and ALWAYS in a lipo safe container...

With running an oval/offroad track we see hundreds of charges a weekend... the fact that only one time we have had a fire is a miracle... but it does happen... and you should be diligent about containing the potential... its not worth losing your house over charging a battery...

Boy. That is not what I wanted to read. I really do not have someplace safe to store lipo batteries that would not be catastrophic if they decided to go off.

The reason I ask is I have been messing with the idea of building a hex with the help of a buddy who is deep into this stuff. I like the hobby and I can see the fun when shooting video. But, I'm not sure it is for me considering the lipo battery thing. It seems to me the risk might out weigh the rewards.

Thanks for the info!

I charge and store my batteries in an ammo can. I made a hole on the side for the battery connector to fit through and for ventilation purposes should a battery flame up.

Take it like this... Knowledge is power... I also store my lipos in an ammo can... Perfect storage location... You should be ok between that and having a Lipo charging bag which is available at most RC stores...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers