Lipo Charger

Reaction score
Have any of you used a standard Lipo battery to charge your Phantom 3 batteries?

Came across this connector:

Charging Cable Adapter for Phantom 2 Phantom 3 B6 B6AC Charger

Just wanted to know if it is safe to use...Since these batteries have chips, not sure if they some how would stop working if using a lipo battery.

I have a top range charger Icharger 406 Dou, so would be awesome if I could use it for charging the phantoms batteries.

Thanks!

Since the batteries contain 'intelligent' circuitry the 'charger' is basically a power supply. You'll need to be able to select Lead-acid or a similar setting to provide a constant voltage at the correct level.

Charging is when most non-crash LiPo accidents (fire) occur.
Tread carefully.

I seen two videos on youtube, one showing them charging them as 3s and the other as 4s.... Which one is it? or doesn't matter since it has a built in balancer?

I would strongly recommend against using your charger. As mentioned above, the balance charger is actually built inside these batteries, you can't bypass it so you need to supply a constant voltage (17.4V IIRC). ANything else would be like connecting your charger to another charger and is very likely to result in magic blue smoke at some point.

If you want an alternative to DJI's overpriced single battery 'charger' (really just power supply), consider this, its what I have been using:

DJI Phantom 3 Battery And Transmitter Charger Plates 110-240V Input 4 In 1

Reactions: FlyingUser
@Vertigo
Thank you for that.... I understand what you are saying, but couldnt I set my charger to 17.4V and do charge only and let the built in balancer do the rest?

Ive never seen a charger that puts out a constant voltage. Some people configure it for 18V lead acid battery, but that is not a constant voltage and let me quote a review from the very page you linked:
  • My original dji battery did not like to be charged with my lipo charger. The battery started an endless rebooting loop, no way to power on more than 2 sec, good for trash. It was an almost new battery in perfect condition. My charger is a Turnigy Accucell 8 used in Pb mode (18V) It stopped immediately and showed "Finished 21.50V" (!!) just after start. The adapter itself is good, my case is perhaps a bad coincidence but I feel more secure to use it on a regulated DC supply.
He still gave it a 5 star review :/

Reactions: Swifteagle
Ive never seen a charger that puts out a constant voltage. Some people configure it for 18V lead acid battery, but that is not a constant voltage and let me quote a review from the very page you linked:
  • My original dji battery did not like to be charged with my lipo charger. The battery started an endless rebooting loop, no way to power on more than 2 sec, good for trash. It was an almost new battery in perfect condition. My charger is a Turnigy Accucell 8 used in Pb mode (18V) It stopped immediately and showed "Finished 21.50V" (!!) just after start. The adapter itself is good, my case is perhaps a bad coincidence but I feel more secure to use it on a regulated DC supply.
He still gave it a 5 star review :/

I read that review, that is what prompt me to ask the question here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj