LIPo battery and 20c

Reaction score
So I am new to LIPo batteries and need to know, the stock battery is 2200mah 20c 11.1v. Can you use 30c or more and not hurt anything?
Thanks
Scott

As said above you can use it but beware, the higher the C value the bigger the size of the battery.
If you want to put the battery inside the Phantom you have to stick with the same small size as the
stock battery. I bought 7 packs from HobbyKing with the same size and just as important, the same
connectors.

this one:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... _Pack.html
Dimensions: 106x35x24mm

Personally, I'd recommend the Turnigy nano-tech 2200mAh 25/50

That with the Turnigy Accucel 6 charger will charge in about 37 minutes on "Fast Charge" mode. :)

For my Phantom and Trex450 heli 3S batterypacks I usually use this charger:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11170__Turnigy_4x6S_Lithium_Polymer_Battery_Pack_Charger.html

I do not really need any fastcharge as the charger has 4 ports, charging 4 packs at a time with
2.2A on each port, using less than one hour on balance charging.
I have bigger helis with 10S and 12S packs and uses ThunderPower charger for those.

TG4.jpg

telecaster said:
As said above you can use it but beware, the higher the C value the bigger the size of the battery.
If you want to put the battery inside the Phantom you have to stick with the same small size as the
stock battery. I bought 7 packs from HobbyKing with the same size and just as important, the same
connectors.

this one:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... _Pack.html
Dimensions: 106x35x24mm

so this one would work with DJI phantom's charger?
and all the connectors the same? (no need to buy additional connectors etc?)
hehe sorry just making sure, as im about to purchase it.
also, does it give extra flight time? or its the same as the phantom battery?

C is your dischange rate. I am not sure why that would effect your battery size.
Mah is how much charge it can hold, which I believe is what really effects the physical size.

My 20C and 30C batteries are all the same size.

For example, take a bucket of water.
The water represents how much time you can fly your phantom.
The bucket size is represented by your mah (the bigger the number, the bigger the bucket).
The C value is the MAX size of the hole at the bottom of the bucket can get(higher C, bigger the hole can get).
The hole will be at its largest when you give it full power.

You will probably see just a TINY bit less flying time with a higher C value....but instead you get quicker responses from your motors. It also depends on how you fly too.

at least this is how I always viewed it.

hi guys,

i was doing the same research.

i bought 3 pcs of 2200mah 20C turnigy Lipo batteries.

i am usually shooting videos, so i do not fly agressively, so i dont need a bigger C Value right?

Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 30C Lipo Pack

and

Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack

performances will make obvious difference?

You will see no difference at all. The C rating is just how much current can be delivered by the battery, but expressed as a multiple of the capacity of the battery.

A 1000mah 1C battery can deliver 1 Amp
A 5000mah 1C battery can deliver 5 Amps
So, a 20C 2200mah battery can deliver 2.2 x 20 Amps = 44 Amps.

Your 30C battery can deliver 66 Amps continuous, the 20C can deliver 44 Amps. Your Phantom won't pull anywhere near that.

With electrical circuits, your battery will only deliver as much current as your motors want to draw. So, if you motors draw 20 Amps. It doesn't matter if you have a battery that can supply 30 Amps or 300 Amps, they will both only supply the 20 amps asked for by the motors.

Well understood!!
thank you very much :)

rilot said:
You will see no difference at all. The C rating is just how much current can be delivered by the battery, but expressed as a multiple of the capacity of the battery.

A 1000mah 1C battery can deliver 1 Amp
A 5000mah 1C battery can deliver 5 Amps
So, a 20C 2200mah battery can deliver 2.2 x 20 Amps = 44 Amps.

Your 30C battery can deliver 66 Amps continuous, the 20C can deliver 44 Amps. Your Phantom won't pull anywhere near that.

With electrical circuits, your battery will only deliver as much current as your motors want to draw. So, if you motors draw 20 Amps. It doesn't matter if you have a battery that can supply 30 Amps or 300 Amps, they will both only supply the 20 amps asked for by the motors.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj