Lipo Bags for a trip on a plane

Reaction score
Are there any Lipo bags out there that are a good size for an individual P3 battery? If not, how about roughly the right size for 3 P3 batteries? I am traveling by plane with my P3 and want to have the bags in case it is required. The only problem is, that I have a backpack made for the P3 and accessories and every space in it is filled. If I can't keep my batteries in the holes carved out for them because they won't fit if they are in a bag, I'm not sure what to do with them.

I leave Wednesday, Sept. 9th, so any input or experiences you have had would be great to hear ASAP. I will need time to track down the right bags and get them delivered.

My goal is to not have to use them, but I don't want to have to sacrifice my batteries in order to go on the trip.

Thanks in advance!
Bob

There are many good options here.

Last edited:
Do you know of any sized close for the P3 batteries? Also, not sure what to do with them if they no longer fit in my carry on because of the bags.

No -- but, you could measure one of your batteries and compare them to the bags at the link above. The bag measurements are list.

Has anyone else traveled in a plane with these batteries? If so, what did you have to do? Were Lipo bags required?

Lipo bags are not required. You just need to ensure the connectors on the battery aren't touching anything. If they are in your case, then all will be fine.

I don't have my batteries with me and the specs on the DJI website don't include the dimensions of the battery. Before I try to purchase a rush order of these bags, I will need to know the actual dimensions of a Phantom 3 battery. Does anyone know, or can someone measure theirs without too much trouble? Thank you. I'm afraid if I wait until I am by my batteries again, I have lost a day for shipping and may not get them in time. Thanks again!

I didn't see your post until after I replied. That is good news. Since the batteries don't have exposed contacts, and they are sitting in cutouts in a case and can't move around, they should be happy.

I am, however, still worried that some TSA agent didn't get the memo that they are OK and won't let me through without bags. I would rather own them and have them with me just in case that happens, even if I don't use them.

I don't know what size to buy, however as I can't find the dimensions in the specs.

Lipo bags are not required. You just need to ensure the connectors on the battery aren't touching anything. If they are in your case, then all will be fine.

Flying from Boston to Vancouver, then From Honolulu back to Boston with a cruise in the middle. There will be long,extended flights.

there is no special care these batteries need when flying on a puddle jumper...at 1000 feet...for 10 minutes, right?

I don't have my batteries with me and the specs on the DJI website don't include the dimensions of the battery. Before I try to purchase a rush order of these bags, I will need to know the actual dimensions of a Phantom 3 battery. Does anyone know, or can someone measure theirs without too much trouble? Thank you. I'm afraid if I wait until I am by my batteries again, I have lost a day for shipping and may not get them in time. Thanks again!

I have never seen a lipo bag that is designed to fit an individual P3 battery.

I use the generic rectangular ones. You can fit 3 Phantom batteries inside. They're all pretty similar, and they all add enough bulk that they will not fit in any foam case. Even if you got a lipo bag that perfectly fits around a P3 battery, the extra bulk would prevent you from fitting batteries in the case without cutting the foam.

With the bags above, 3 batteries is just right. I have 2 facing up and the middle battery facing down. You can technically fit more inside, but 3 is just a good fit.

I flew to France from the UK

I just taped across the terminals with insulation tape and had them in my P3 Hardshell backpack and made sure they were over 25% discharged.

I also carried the CAA info details on travelling with Lipos inside my backpack in case some official was unaware of the current regs.

I needn't have worried - they barely glanced at them going out OR coming back.

As long as you're legal you should be OK

Have a good flight!

Damage

Personally I have flown several times (long haul international) with 3x P2 batteries.

I wouldn't fly without lipo safe bags. It's not that I expect to need them, it's just extra safety. A lipo fire in the cabin will be a very very bad thing... And remember it's not just your own life to protect, it's everyone else on board.

I flew with my backpack and batteries multiple times. Never had an issue with the batteries.
They once confiscated a screwdriver which I had in the backpack - but that's about it.

Click here for actual FAA requirements.

4.480Ah x 15.2v = 68.1Wh < 100Wh --> OK
And there is no limit on how many of those you can carry.

As you can see, according to these requirements, the phantom 3 batteries are OK and do not need any special attention.

I do understand that if I have to use the bags, I won't be able to carry the batteries in the case. I will have a personal case with my laptop in it. The case is over-sized and I think I can fit the batteries in that in a bag if I have to.

I will look up and print the CAA regs as well and have them with me.

I have never seen a lipo bag that is designed to fit an individual P3 battery.

I use the generic rectangular ones. You can fit 3 Phantom batteries inside. They're all pretty similar, and they all add enough bulk that they will not fit in any foam case. Even if you got a lipo bag that perfectly fits around a P3 battery, the extra bulk would prevent you from fitting batteries in the case without cutting the foam.

With the bags above, 3 batteries is just right. I have 2 facing up and the middle battery facing down. You can technically fit more inside, but 3 is just a good fit.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj