limp gimble after water

Reaction score
Over water P3S kept dropping by half a meter. I took my eye of it for a moment looking at the S tab 2
and the camera and gimbal only, went under water. I immediately took it up and brought it home no problem. Dried it, took the battery out and gave it plenty of air on the way home. Now the gimbal is limp, happens to all of us eventually :) I get a disconnected message when I try to perform a IMU. I can still start the props and probably lift the bird but not taking any chances till I sort it out. Looked every where here and elsewhere but can't find a solution. All the cables seem intact.
Any help would be appreciated. Was hoping to take it on holiday in two weeks time.
John

Your main board might still be good, but something in your gimbal might have shorted out, or one of the leads on the cables might have pulled out, and that could cause loss of signal. Are you getting telemetry readings in DJI Go?

Do you have DJI Refresh or other insurance? You were lucky that your battery didn't bite the dust, they usually do when submerged even for a short time.

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks for your help.
The battery does seem to be ok. The gimbal was only under water for a few seconds. Still a lot for sensitive electronics I know. I have not taken it apart, feel no where near enough confident to do that. But the cables from the outside seem ok.
I am not sure what you mean by
getting telemetry readings in DJI Go?
Yes I have just insured two weeks ago for damage or loss to a number of devices.
The outlet I bought it from will send it back for repairs and will take some time. Not sure if they will pay for it. But insurance company will charge first few hundred dollars.

Telemetry readings are your altitude speed, and battery levels, for example. Are you getting any video feed?

No altitude speed or battery levels no video feed. Says camera not connected and all stays limp.
The reading I have done is to leave it in a warm place for a few hours. But I am starting to think it is more serious.

Yes the whole assembly. Did you know that DJI has a great facility on Melbourne with quick turnaround times, from what I hear. Even if they had to replace the whole gimbal camera assembly, it might only cost $150usd. They will let you know the price before you decide to let them fix it.

Not dead because your battery is still good, main board maybe good, but just a gimbal and/or wifi problem. They can fix it and get you flying again.

If you do send it in to DJI, you might consider getting DJI Care insurance, or drone insurance in Australia.

Did you mean

"C_LUU Posted at 2016-7-14 15:14
Thanks Labroides,

Are you referring to Eehobbies?
View full quote
I dealt with DJI online chat and they had me send the warranty job to:
DJI TECHNOLOGY AUSTRALIA PTY LTD
12/125 Highbury Road
BURWOOD
VICTORIA 3125

They paid and arranged the courier both ways and it only took a few days.
Hard to complain about service like that."

I will phone them tomorrow. Then my insurance company and if they are difficult get
DJI Care insurance.
Thanks so much for your help Thunderdrones.

Thunderdrones Angel, If I had any sense and not taken too many risks so early or if I had a 4 pro, this would not have happened.
Wonder if I can get a loan...$2,600 Australian!
Thanks

You should get the P3S fixed and then fly it. Cheap lesson.

The P4P helps avoid obstacles, but not always water, so theres always a risk factor with any DJI drone..

You should get the P3S fixed and then fly it. Cheap lesson.

The P4P helps avoid obstacles, but not always water, so theres always a risk factor with any DJI drone..

Thanks Thunderdrones

DJI Melbourne are not at work until tomorrow. I have sent them an automated email which they will read tomorrow. I am going to send the bird and the RC for repair and refurbishment. My insurance company will cover any cost. Took it out a few weeks ago just incase. I want to keep the P3S.
But I am seriously considering the P4P+ with case and spare batteries etc. I know I should be a lot more patient and have more than a month with drones. Was planing two holidays in the next year. If I forgo one of them I could buy it. I am just blown away with the vids these things can do. I was going to post in the P4P section about how many crashes they have compared to other Phantoms.
I only work part time but life is short.

John

Reactions: Phil56
John, if you are planning vacations, you might want to consider a Mavic as your next drone. The Mavic is easier to carry around, it's got a 4k camera and obstacle avoidance, plus its $400 cheaper than the P4P.

I have agonized over that one, Thunderdrones. I've had a look at this the specs and I don't really need the pro the standard P4 would be fine but The Mavic looks very enticing for the reason you point out, so much smaller. I do like the Phantom though, its got a solid feel to it, good for the wind and just feels good. Got to be a fetish thing. Hell, does it stay still high up in turbulance. But you have made me think again. Thanks.

I have been looking at this
Buy Phantom 4 (Refurbished Unit)
What do you think of refurbished ones? Some seem sceptical but those who have been buying them for a while swear by them. I would have to get the DJI care. I try to pull myself back but am a bit too impulsive. I have to work on that one.
My P3S is away for evaluation and they are convinced it will cost more to repair than send me a new one. I dont think DJI will pay but my insurer will.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl