Limp Gimbal-Still

Reaction score
So I crashed my Phantom 3 Pro about a month ago and the camera separated completely from the gimbal-along with a few broken/bent legs. I did some research and ordered the replacement parts (flex cable and gimbal attachment piece). I was able to get it all put back together and also inspect the components and logic board while I was doing it and it seemed to look good-no burnt or black areas or lose pieces. After I reassembled everything I turned the Phantom on and it did it's regular start up beep but the gimbal doesn't move at all. It's completely limp. I even double checked all of the connections with both the flex cable and also the two white cables going from the gimbal itself to the body of the drone and it all looks good. The Phantom will connect to the controller/app and I have ability to fly but the overall status says that the gimbal isn't connected and "gimbal gyroscope error-hardware malfunction. Contact DJI support for repairs." Also the critical error solid red lights are on. I know I have updates to do but I am at a lost of what to do next. How do I know if the gimbal needs replaced completey or if it's something else? I would appreciate the help!!!

Two questions:

1. Did you replace the ribbon flex cable with a genuine DJI replacement part or a 3rd party flex cable?
2. Did you put the camera back on in the correct orientation. (it is entirely possible to put the camera on upside down)!

Many people have said that 3rd part flex cables do not work.
If the camera is on upside down it will look totally fine, but won't work. When looking at the drone from the front (facing you) the camera should be slightly to the right of center. If it is on the left side, it is on backwards.

I would start with the ribbon cable. Order one directly from DJI. It costs more, but may fix your problem.

Also, photos of the broken piece(s) and the camera on the drone after the repairs would be helpful.

Much is not known about these gimbals. In all the gimbal failures I noted, all of them fail together. Unless it's power, how can ALL of them fail at the same time.

Can I still get djiapp on mobile device for phantom 3 advance if camera is totally limp as motors don't even start up. Thanks guys.

1. Did you replace the ribbon flex cable with a genuine DJI replacement part or a 3rd party flex cable?

Some 3rd party cables are causing problems; only 1-layered ones, and still not all of them.

2. Did you put the camera back on in the correct orientation. (it is entirely possible to put the camera on upside down)!

This is true. Though reading your description, the "upside down" I faced was probably different than yours. Mine was more "front-to-back" - the screw which blocks the sensor case (screw over which the flat flex cable is wrapped around) was screwed in incorrectly. I got a gimbal which was assembled like this by OEM. But this didn't make the gimbal limp - made it violently try to break its limiters and turn to its rear. So it continued to dance and jumped between its limits.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20