limited range

Reaction score
Hi folks
I am new to the world of the Phantom and currently the new owner of a Phantom 2 vision. I have primarily brought this the filming surf kayaking. I have not yet been brave enough to use it out over the sea but will soon when the weather improves. I have had lots of successful flights and really pleased with it. My main concern is the limited range it seems to have. The maximum height I can seem to get is about 80 m. And the maximum distance around 120 m. I have tried the aerial in various orientations. I am running it in the higher power FCC mode. I am running the latest software on both the Phantom and the controller, and the control has new batteries. I’ve also tried it in various locations in case of local interference. Has any one else experienced similar problems? I have written to the UK supplier explaining this. And here’s contacted DJI but I am still awaiting a response. Fortunately the return to home works fantastically. Ideas anyone?

Below is a link to some of my earlier flights this was in windy weather and has been run through the go pro stabiliser program to remove to shake.
http://neilewins.com/wp2/arial-photography/

Dangermouse uk

Make sure your antenna on the controller is straight up. Make sure you are pointing the top of the repeater at the PV.

dangermouse said:
... I have tried the aerial in various orientations. I am running it in the higher power FCC mode.

Hello there. Have you opened up the transmitter to do a firmware update? If so there's a chance you may have damaged the antenna cable. DJI and dealers have replaced some users transmitters in these cases as it's the design of hiding the usb port inside that's causing the breakages.

If you haven't opened it up then you've pretty much done all the right things so it's looking like a bad transmitter or a bad receiver. Either way it should be a warranty issue - who's your dealer in the UK?

HI WOW

This a really excellent forum incredibly fast reply from every one. I have updated the transmitter. I know it involved taking the case apart and i did it after research on the various forums on how to do it. I was very careful about the Arial. This problem was also there before i had even tried firmware update. I have brought it from buzzflyer and they are i guess awaiting a replies from dji. They have asked for serial number ect to pass on to dji so i am not running down this company, i am just looking for independent advice as to weather this is an unusual low range. On a side note the firmware update for the camera allowing .dng raw photographs has made a big difference to the photographs.
Cheers for all of the input

Dangermouse

Check out More Powerful Repeater thread. Mods for your repeater and antenna upgrade mod. ;)

The distances you are getting are not typical. I run the same setup as you and get control to 1000ft in any direction (including up) in fairly cluttered environments. Buzzflyer are an approved dealer (which was why I was asking who) so they should certainly see you right - something's definitely not ok with your range.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.