Limited distance

Reaction score
I own 2 Phantoms, both fly great, no problems, but both tend to lose signal at about 1000 feet high and 1000 feet out horizontal. My software is set up to limit it well beyond 1000ft both directions. As I said, this is on 2 different Phantoms. I've done no modifications to the antenna (yet) and I see people here getting 3000 feet out with a stock set up. What is going on here causing some to get those distances and others like myself top out at about 1000ft? Thanks....

J.

How many flights are on the 1000ft quad?

I've tried both fully vertical and horizontal, always have the wifi booster pointed at the Phantom(s).

Assuming you have set both controllers to FCC in the RC assistant? Probably a yes. That's all there is besides RX batteries, and leg antennas. Maybe check the leg antenna connections under the hood?

Is it the control signal or WiFi that's dropping off? Do you see 'Phantom Connection Broken' or is it 'Control Signal Lost' displayed?

I know the antennas are on the gear, but I'll check the connections. It is "control signal lost" and RTH triggers 3 seconds later.

I just find it strange that it is the same on two different Phantoms. I've thought perhaps environmental, but I've flown out in the boonies with no metal, houses or towers around, with flat land as far as the eye can see.

try turning the Phantom sideways when flying out away from you as a range test. Was doing some flying earlier and about 2500 feet was my best before FPV started dropping. Came back and swapped batteries in the phantom, tried a sideways flight out the same path..got to over 4000 feet distance at about 350 feet altitude before FPV began to go black and white/fade out

JWarren said:
I just find it strange that it is the same on two different Phantoms. I've thought perhaps environmental, but I've flown out in the boonies with no metal, houses or towers around, with flat land as far as the eye can see.

Two different Phantoms.... would that be two different controllers as well?

And are we talking about two vision + models?

But he's a 1000' high , you were 350' high doesn't that mean something ? What if he flys lower like your 350 , will it go farther distance ?

I've had the same issue - just got the Vision + last week. At about 400 ft (c. 150m) range I get the same "Control Signal Lost" and the Phantom begins to return home. Pretty consistent distance when I loose range. Still have clear line of site when it happens and the antenna is pointed right at it. Certainly is not 700m.

Dr. Telemark

Don't point the tip of antenna at it. You need to have the long side of the antennas facing it. That's why the antenna hinges. Tips weakest point of signal.

as others have stated, do NOT point the tip of the transmitter antenna at the phantom. The transmitter antenna should have the tip facing upwards/towards sky with the long "sides" of the transmitter antenna facing directly at the phantom.

The top horizontal surface of the range extender SHOULD be facing the phantom at all times

I have the same problem with my phantom vision plus. With a fully charged battery, fully charged wifi extender battery, and brand new batteries in the transmitter the most I have gotten out of the wifi transmission is only 1200 feet. Thats with the fcc maxed out, with the wifi range extender pointing directly at the bird with no obstructions. Fly it down the intercoastal waterway and at bear island today, same results both places. Im thinking that either not all wifi range extenders are created equally or maybe I should have never tinkered with the bottom pot maxing out the fcc. Whats the deal, I hear all these stories from people getting 3000 to 4000 ft wifi range with stock everything.

Ok guys before you panic.
When you turn on the RC does it beep ones or twice ?
When it beeps ones then its in EU mode and that would explain your 1000ft range. So put it in FCC mode to double the RC range.
And why is it 1000ft up ?
Look into a transmitting pattern of a omni-directional antenna, it has a chape that isn't a sphere.
So lowering the bird can get you a greater distance.

As for the wifi.
The ones stating to get more than the stock specs from dji are likely using the booster app for wifi signals doubling the distance.
I changed the antenna on the RC and i altered one antenna on the wifi extender and my bird has now more the 2km RC control and 1,8km FPV.
Thats more then 6561.88ft for the RC and 5905.51ft for FPV in a rural enviroment. In a heavy WIFI enviroment i lose FPV @ +- 1000ft.
I don't use any booster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31