Like the phantom 4s part 107 and night flying??

Reaction score
Ok so I'm still new here, but I looked at the phantom 4s yesterday at bestbuy along with sampling some new video game technology.

Are the phantom series uavs more toward Apple? I noticed the Yuneec is more of android drone.... at least that's what I took from it, I do like the black color of Yuneec but I want one for Apple devices...do they make the phantom 4s in black?

I was thinking of getting the part 107 knocked out first before buying my drone just to get the technical knowledge and book stuff out of the way first? Would any members on here disagree with this route? I already know I'm going to like this.

I've gotten mixed knowledge of weather or not you can fly at night...can you fly at night?(legally I mean) I read something about some kind of waiver..

Any input is appreciated:)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Not sure why you'd want to fly under Part 107. There are certain advantages to flying under Part 101. One is night flying. There is no night flying under Part 107.

Of course, it's a federal ruling.

Edit: OTOH, if you did get a Part 107 certification and your UAS was registered that way, you could still fly that UAS under Part 101 provided the entire flight was under Part 101.

Last edited:
is part 101 a test or exam, or just rules?
It's just rules you fly by. No test or certification.

If hobbyist you fly by either Part 101 rules or if you don't fit into that box you need to get your Part 107 and fly by those rules. If you don't fly completely within the Part 101 rules your flight is Part 107 (commercial) by default.

Reactions: Sparta Jr
You are only allowed to fly thirty minutes after sunset, thirty minutes before sunrise. If you submit a request and it is approved then you can fly within your request. Both, running lights are necessary.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hi and welcome,

Regarding your colour choice you may be able to get an adhesive wrap (sticky back plastic) but I've not seen any.

You could also (with only a little DIY abilities) spray paint the body parts of the Phantom, either take them off and spray them or mask it up and go for whatever colour you like. But do make a few practice sprays on 'say' plastic tube or similar beforehand. It could be a nice creative project.

Have fun.;)

If you really want to get involved, take the whole bird apart and dye it what ever color you want with RitDye. That way it won't scratch or wear off

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ok so I'm still new here, but I looked at the phantom 4s yesterday at bestbuy along with sampling some new video game technology.

Are the phantom series uavs more toward Apple? I noticed the Yuneec is more of android drone.... at least that's what I took from it, I do like the black color of Yuneec but I want one for Apple devices...do they make the phantom 4s in black?

I was thinking of getting the part 107 knocked out first before buying my drone just to get the technical knowledge and book stuff out of the way first? Would any members on here disagree with this route? I already know I'm going to like this.

I've gotten mixed knowledge of weather or not you can fly at night...can you fly at night?(legally I mean) I read something about some kind of waiver..

Any input is appreciated:)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If you want to fly at night under part 107 you can request a waiver here:
Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)

I got my 107, you can still fly as a hobbyist.
I would recommend studying for the 107 in any case as you will learn a lot of useful information about flying (not just UAV's). It will give you the knowledge to be a safer operator.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic