Like a good mystery? This will make your head hurt.

Swell. As I said before, it's not just this one Phantom. It's been three or more, with all sorts of different parts. The only common denominators are the laptop I use to run the Assistant app, including calibrating the IMU, and my house, where I'm doing the IMU calibration. I'm doing the calibration on a professionally-leveled pool table, and the only source of electrical interference I can think of is the ceiling fan overhead, but I keep that turned off. The other source would be the laptop, but I keep that 2-3 feet away. (And I would think that DJI has accounted for a computer being close by)

My Mac is too old for the Assistant App.

Hi,

I had a similar problem that now seems to be resolved.

It could be a combination of things; I wondered if the other common denominators for you are the props, RC gain settings and/or firmware version?

With regard to the IMU calibration, I have a 3m cable and place the quad on a wooden stool, levelled with a spirit level. I do a compass calibration each flight. Not sure if these things affect the tilt but it's in my procedures now.

I've been experimenting with the RC gain settings and as mentioned previously, my tilt and video wobble appears to have now gone. I've attached a video of my settings. I've also purchased a set of jewellers scales and weighed the props, writing the weight (in grams) on each. I then match the props front and rear as close as possible; each one is only a few grams out against the other.

Hopefully the gain adjustments and equalised weight of the props makes the quad as balanced as possible.

I hope that helps.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm not sure but if you read the help text on that page it could be interpreted as having an impact. I guess if the IMU is receiving lots of inputs in the 3 axis it also has to send corrections to the gimbal to maintain horizontal, so maybe there's some interaction.
Given that you've had the same issues with different quads, it's got to be either you've got default settings which may be a factor, environmental or maybe a combination of things.

Yes, I saw all that. I tried to enter values, but they showed up in red and apparently didn't save.

Okay, here's the latest in the saga.

In researching the gimbal, I learned that it uses MEMS gyroscopic sensors on the main circuit board. From my understanding, these are very coarse in terms of value. They also seem like they would be fragile.

I've tried to think of every possible common denominator amongst the various Phantoms, gimbals, F/C modules, remote controllers and other parts I've been using. One denominator I hadn't considered was that, with each bird/gimbal combination, I would roll, pitch and yaw the gimbal to its extremes. That's where I'd see the odd behavior.

With the idea in mind that the MEMS gyroscopic sensors might be fragile, I bought a brand new gimbal, with the intention of not taking the gimbal to its extremes. I mounted the new one, and it started up perfectly level. I started the motors and walked around the house with the bird, rolling, pitching and yawing it, but not to its extremes. It has stayed level throughout all this.

The next test will be to fly it and see what happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers