Lightning Storm

Reaction score
I know this is probably a stupid question but last night we had a huge lightning storm pass through Northern Virginia. Lightning was not over my home but could be seen brightly in the distance. Rain had stopped by lightning continued for the next 30-45 minutes. Had a strong urge to send the Phantom up to get some cool video of the lightning. Wouldn't had taken it too high but high enough to get the shot. Again, probably a stupid question but thoughts on that would be appreciated - I imagine most would be that it would/might be struck by the lightning.

I thought the same but after the rain and winds stopped it was still a great lightning show (cloud to cloud) for about 30 minutes. Was tempted to send it up but was afraid it would get struck.

It would seem to me that a direct hit would be the least of the worries as the electrical field that comes with lightening disrupts radio signals ala AM radio hash during a storm.
I'd be worried just a near bolt would be like an EMP and fry the Phantom...

All of the safety and concerns aside, I doubt the V+ camera would do a decent job. The low-light ability of the camera is pretty bad and the bright flash of lightning would likely overwhelm the sensor causing nothing but a large blur. I seriously considered it during our light lightning storm but I decided against it as I thought it would be a waste of time given the camera limitations.

kgarrison said:
All of the safety and concerns aside, I doubt the V+ camera would do a decent job. The low-light ability of the camera is pretty bad and the bright flash of lightning would likely overwhelm the sensor causing nothing but a large blur. I seriously considered it during our light lightning storm but I decided against it as I thought it would be a waste of time given the camera limitations.

I don't know these are both taken with the vision
just black tape over the leds by camera

Attachments

• rsz_2sunset.jpg
    rsz_2sunset.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 613
  • rsz_sunset3.jpg
    rsz_sunset3.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 621
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 610
I was flying so that I could photograph an area about 20 miles away that a storm was coming over. Where I was located was sunny but I didn't see any lightening strikes through the screen during video, even though I heard thunder so I started to descend. At about 300 ft lightening struck what felt like too close for comfort to where I was standing and freaked me out. The DJI was still video taping my return to ground. The drone landed fine, I never lost contact. I looked at the video when I got home and the video did have a blip in the screen at the time of the strike but you couldn't see any lightening strike, I think it was not directly in front of the camera anyway but to the right side. I wonder with a storm so far away why did that lightening hit so close to me. Was it because of the drone?

I love the go pro videos from base jumpers, and thank them kindly for sharing. Me? Nah... holding an electromagnetic transmitter near a flying electromagnetic transmitter in a lightening storm is best left to someone richer and wilder than me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub