Lightening the load.

Reaction score
I decided to carry out some lightening surgery to my Phantom V1.1.1
Step one involved drilling holes in the landing gear(Being careful of radio wires and compass and not drilling any of the stuctural supports).
Step two drill out the go pro mount.(again staying clear or the strenght giving areas)
Step three, using a hobby knife cut out some internal moulding iregularities.
All up Ive saved a massive(Toungue in cheek) 7 Grams.
Flight testing tomorrow weather permitting.

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 894
  • photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 886
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    173 KB · Views: 902
Inb4ElGuano :D

I totally respect the lengths you guys are going to in the interest of shaving every gram you can, but that's probably over the line of how much effort I'll ever put in to that pursuit lol. I'm very weight-conscious of what I add on to the airframe, but I'm not adept enough to do the amount of trimming it would take to give me a worthwhile (for me) return. Maybe someday, but for now I'll just keep an eye on everyone else's creative efforts ;)

Lol. Nice to see another thread on weight savings. Personally, shell lightening in and of itself isn't my thing, I'm happy to do it if it accommodates another mod, but I leave it to others to hole the shell. Still, please keep us posted of your findings, I'm sure you'll make some insights that will benefit many of us!

I have also carved off the little ridges to the left and right of the go pro mount in the top pic. There are two at each end. Picture was taken before that surgery.

Done way too much of this in both sailboat and car racing. It can become an addiction. Very easy to get carried away and cut out something that turned out to be pretty useful where it was!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.