Lightbridge, 14SG, 12.2in monitor - Need a Radio tray!

Reaction score
To walk around freely using the Lightbridge setup, a Futaba 14SG, and a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 in monitor for FPV (not using the HDMI Lightbridge Ground unit output), does anyone have a recommendation on what transmitter tray would be good? I want to mount it all as a single unit and be able to walk around/use it all while untethered to a table or seat. I'm not particularly interested transmitter trays that use a 2 point harness. I want a single point connection for a neck strap. If that's asking too much from current products I guess I can go with a multi-point harness (such as those offered from Seacraft).

Thanks!

isky172 said:
To walk around freely using the Lightbridge setup, a Futaba 14SG, and a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 in monitor for FPV (not using the HDMI Lightbridge Ground unit output), does anyone have a recommendation on what transmitter tray would be good? I want to mount it all as a single unit and be able to walk around/use it all while untethered to a table or seat. I'm not particularly interested transmitter trays that use a 2 point harness. I want a single point connection for a neck strap. If that's asking too much from current products I guess I can go with a multi-point harness (such as those offered from Seacraft).

Thanks!
I'm interested in the answer too

CRW_5344.jpg

And then you too could look as happy as this chap :)

I think I've figured it out. I went to eBay and found this (arrives sometime this week while I'm out of town). It appears to be able to support the 14SG along with a tablet for FPV. I'm just hoping it balances with a reasonable level of comfort:

Made by Secraft, 135 bucks - all inclusive.

Attachments

• FPV Harness and Tray.jpg
    FPV Harness and Tray.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,138
For what I've got in the setup, it's Perfect! It balances well, there's no tipping on flat surfaces (e.g., when I don't have the harness strapped around me and want to sit it on the table), cords are easy to plug in/remove, the 12.2 Galaxy Note Pro can be removed from its frame, the FPV portion can be removed completely or in parts, etc. etc. I'm extremely happy with the purchase, I must say. It's working like a dream and I'm completely mobile while flying - I could run or walk without worry about the thing coming apart. I even made a sun shade/hood too but it's not attached to the setup in those pictures.

I will note that I did some customization. If you were to order this exact tray you wouldn't be able to do what I've done "out of the box". I made a wood "box" that slips over the FPV plate that sits at ~ 45 degree angle to the tray itself. On this wood box that slips over the FPV tray, I secure it with two screws/wing-nuts. I also mounted the Lightbridge with industrial "super" velcro I found @ Home Depot (it's the kind that has a single strip as opposed to a "loop" side vs. "felt" side). I also mounted the 12.2 Galaxy Note Pro with the same "super" velcro and through the use of a Samsung OEM tablet cover (I cut off the part that folds over on top of the OLED screen, leaving just the bracket for the tablet itself).

I can take some photos of the wood box I made that slips over the FPV panel if necessary - let me know.

Photos, part 1:

Attachments

• Secraft-Tx-Tray-06.jpg
    Secraft-Tx-Tray-06.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 898
  • Secraft-Tx-Tray-05.jpg
    Secraft-Tx-Tray-05.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 1,050
  • Secraft-Tx-Tray-04.jpg
    Secraft-Tx-Tray-04.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 899
Photos, part 2:

Attachments

• Secraft-Tx-Tray-03.jpg
    Secraft-Tx-Tray-03.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 920
  • Secraft-Tx-Tray-02.jpg
    Secraft-Tx-Tray-02.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 894
  • Secraft-Tx-Tray-01.jpg
    Secraft-Tx-Tray-01.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 1,063
Awesome - thanks for the pics! I would love to see the wooden box as well if thats not too much trouble as I'm a little unclear how it fits into the mix.

Slightly off topic, how do you like the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2? I'm using an iPad 2 I happened to have and I'm getting a 1 second or more of lag time. I'm thinking about upgrading to the latest iPad (after they are refreshed) or going with an Android tablet of some sort since it seems everyone else is reporting less lag time and the iPad 2 is fairly slow overall.

Checking out your sig I noticed you're flying with a FlyTrex Live module. How do you like it? It seems like it would be very useful for recovery if need be not to mention for cool stats. Would you mind posting a photo of how you mounted that alongside the Lightbridge Air?

Various other pictures - mostly showing how the box is built and secured (part 1 of 2):

Attachments

• 01---Top-Looking-Down.jpg
    01---Top-Looking-Down.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 684
  • 02---Looking-from-the-Side.jpg
    02---Looking-from-the-Side.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 667
  • 03---Bottom-Up-View.jpg
    03---Bottom-Up-View.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 629
  • 04---Front-View.jpg
    04---Front-View.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 745
Various other pictures - mostly showing how the box is built and secured (part 2 of 2):

Attachments

• 05---FPV-Panel-View---showing-Velcro.jpg
    05---FPV-Panel-View---showing-Velcro.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 651
  • 06---Sliding-the-Box-over-the-FPV-panel.jpg
    06---Sliding-the-Box-over-the-FPV-panel.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 673
  • 07---Align-Screws-to-Secure.jpg
    07---Align-Screws-to-Secure.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 636
  • 08---Assembled-View-from-the-Back.jpg
    08---Assembled-View-from-the-Back.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 658
lklepner said:
Awesome - thanks for the pics! I would love to see the wooden box as well if thats not too much trouble as I'm a little unclear how it fits into the mix.

Slightly off topic, how do you like the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2? I'm using an iPad 2 I happened to have and I'm getting a 1 second or more of lag time. I'm thinking about upgrading to the latest iPad (after they are refreshed) or going with an Android tablet of some sort since it seems everyone else is reporting less lag time and the iPad 2 is fairly slow overall.

Checking out your sig I noticed you're flying with a FlyTrex Live module. How do you like it? It seems like it would be very useful for recovery if need be not to mention for cool stats. Would you mind posting a photo of how you mounted that alongside the Lightbridge Air?

Update/Edit:
I made the "box" that fits around the TX tray FPV panel (metal) out of balsa wood and very thin plywood I got at the hobby store (Atlanta Hobby). I just cut according to necessary dimensions and used CA glue (thick) to stick it all together. A fresh coat of black via a $4 can of spray-paint from Home Depot did the finishing trick (along with a 12 hr cure time).

Original Post:
Btw, I'm liking the Galaxy Note Pro. It does what I need it to do but I'm not a fan of tablets overall. I got this for the HD display it has and for the specific purpose of being my FPV monitor. I don't use it for much else. No lag whatsoever. Zilch. Nada. Nothing noticeable when using the Lightbridge system and setup I have pictured.

I love the Flytrex Live a lot. I figure it costs me about 40 bucks a year in data/maintenance fees for the 2G connection...which is nothing considering this whole setup. After some initial trouble getting the data to show correctly (it used to think it was 900 feet below the surface of the Earth), it hasn't missed a beat since. Never had a problem with reception. I have it mounted inside the frame and I've made an external switch for it too. That way I can cause the device to upload the data from the last mission without actually turning off the Phantom 2 battery. Strange that it works this way, I know. But you have to power down, and then power up, in order for the Live device/website to recognize/separate/create your latest mission. That's the reason for the external switch. If they've updated their process in the last month or so I haven't noticed - but if they do (or have) it would make the external switch unnecessary. Next time I take apart the bird I'll try and remember to snap some pictures of how I have it mounted along with the switch (which I got from Radio Shack...get there quick before they're out of business! If you're in the US, of course).

Thanks for the new pics! Love your mounting approach. It looks like you built the box out of something pretty thin/light - 1/8 luan? Nice touch adding the vecro fuzz inside to make it snug.

Its promising to hear that the Galaxy Note Pro is so responsive. I've been hoping to go with an Apple tablet if possible since my household is mostly iOS and it would be more useful beyond FPV alone.. but at the end of the day I want a lag-free display so might go Android if its superior.

Are you using T-Mobile with Flytrex Live? I noticed a comment echange on a FlyTrex FB post that T-Mobile is going to turn of their 2G network earlier than initially planned which makes me hesitant to invest in one at this point. Of course if it aided in the recovery of the rig in a dump just once it would have been a very worthwhile investment not to mention providing interesting stats along the way..
https://www.facebook.com/flytrex/posts/687455324680464

Hey Jeff,

Can you post a link to where you found this on Ebay? I found some similar things, but I like your setup. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers