Light patterns & compass calibration

Reaction score
Hi all

I have had my Phantom for about 2 months and am generally delighted with it. But I have a couple of issues which someone may be able to help with.

Living just over 5km from an airport and using firmware 3.06, I expected height limits to apply. When I start the Phantom the lights flash green 4-5 times, then briefly yellow and red, then repeat the cycle. Moving further from the airport I can get all green lights to remain on usually. Is this part of an undocumented feature to warn that you are within a restricted flight zone?

Also I have trouble getting the values on the Tools page in the Flight Assistant to come within acceptable limits - the Z coordinate has always been very high while the X and Y are sometime high.
I have regularly done the standard compass calibration (rotating the phantom etc), and have tried basic and advanced calibration in the Assistant without any improvement.
Image of Tools settings:
rK2GE2j.jpg

Is this difficulty with the compass related to my proximity to an airport? I can get noticeable drifting (especially on a windy day) while in a restricted flight zone.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks, but that doesn't answer either of my questions.
As I explained, I already know that I am in the orange zone of an airport.

It looks like it's telling you to calibrate your compass. I don't think there are undocumented light patterns. That would kind of defeat the purpose of having light patterns for diagnostic purposes.

Attachments

• Lights.png
    Lights.png
    657.3 KB · Views: 514
Ah OK, thanks. It does about 4 green flashes then one of the red and yellow flashes, then repeats the cycle. But that doesn't happen when I'm out of the restricted flying zone - I get only green then.

As I mentioned, I have recalibrated with the Assistant and also by rotating the plane, but can't get the X,Y and Z coordinates right.
I guess my only shot now is with a magnet?

Not to my knowledge - there are no high voltage power lines or mobile phone towers.

Can anyone who has seen the yellow/red compass calibration warning lights tell me whether they flash constantly?
I get about 4 green flashes, then 1 red/yellow, but only at some locations.

4 green flashes means GPS lock. Red Yellow alternate is bad compass data.

You might be seeing two sets of lights instead of one.

I'm fairly certain that the compass needs to be calibrated correctly and maybe an advance IMU calibration in the software.

Do the IMU first. Take it outside and then perform the compass. As soon as the compass is calibrated correctly, set the phantom down, turn it off, then back on again. Wait for GPS lock and see if the Red Yellow flash comes back.

Are you by chance launching from concrete? I've had issues with the metal rods in reinforced concrete affecting my compass. As soon as i move it to grass, it works just fine.

@amkorp thanks, I have often done the compass calibration, but never switched off after
@djfxprogressive no, it's on a grass filled reserve with no structures closer than 20 metres.

I tried to do an advanced IMU calibration with the Assistant, but it said too hot. I let it finish anyway.
Went to a different park, did the compass calibration then got four green flashes followed by one red flash (cycling). That doesn't seem to be listed in the light patterns at all!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1