Lifting capacity

Reaction score
I'm also a ham radio guy and would like to use my P3S to run a lightweight (read, fishing line) over a tall branch in the big tree in my yard. This would allow me to pull an antenna up into the tree. Is this doable or even advisable? Previously I used a slingshot with an attached fishing reel to get the line over a branch at about 30 feet, but the tree is easily 70 feet tall. With the leaves off the tree, sometime before spring would be the perfect time to do this. I guess it would be good to use those blade guards as well...

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Oh I think you will be fine as long as you keep enough tension on the monofilament to prevent it floating up into a propellar. To demo the power of these drones, and I have given this advice many times, hover it in the yard about shoulder height, and without touching the controls, grab a leg and start to 'drag' it a few feet away. You will see your drone do it's best "Angry Bee" as it talks sh** all the way and indignantly hurries back to where you so unceremoniously removed it from as soon as it is released.

It will put up a pretty impressive fight as it says "Get your gladpaws off me! Can't you see I am busy?" Hrumpf

Last edited:
I'm also a ham radio guy and would like to use my P3S to run a lightweight (read, fishing line) over a tall branch in the big tree in my yard. This would allow me to pull an antenna up into the tree. Is this doable or even advisable? Previously I used a slingshot with an attached fishing reel to get the line over a branch at about 30 feet, but the tree is easily 70 feet tall. With the leaves off the tree, sometime before spring would be the perfect time to do this. I guess it would be good to use those blade guards as well...

you going for a full wave antenna?
But can't hurt to have a couple sinker weights on line to keep trailing line from getting tossed into props,

you going for a full wave antenna?
But can't hurt to have a couple sinker weights on line to keep trailing line from getting tossed into props,
I'm not dragging the wires up (1/2 wave dipole). The fishing line would be attached to a thicker line, then a rope, then pull the dipole up. Although I suppose once I get the dexterous the dipole placed, I could position the wires instead of just going for an inverted vee.

Oh I think you will be fine as long as you keep enough tension on the monofilament to prevent it floating up into a propellar. To demo the power of these drones, and I have given this advice many times, hover it in the yard about shoulder height, and without touching the controls, grab a leg and start to 'drag' it a few feet away. You will see your drone do it's best "Angry Bee" as it talks sh** all the way and indignantly hurries back to where you so unceremoniously removed it from as soon as it is released.

It will put up a pretty impressive fight as it says "Get your gladpaws off me! Can't you see I am busy?" Hrumpf
I'm going to have to try that...

I think that descending on the other side is where you will run into problems. No the trailing line will be above the bird and in danger of coming in contact with the props. If you are going to try this, you might attach a thin rod like a dowel across the bottom of the landing gear than extends well out past the props and attach your messenger line to that. Then as you come down, don't go straight down, but angle out with the rod pointed back toward the tree. That way the line too would be angled more and, hopefully, stay away from the props. It will be tricky and you should be very aware of the wind and how the line is playing out. If it snags any, it could flip the bird or pull it into the trees. Let us know how things go.

Reactions: microraptor
I think that descending on the other side is where you will run into problems. No the trailing line will be above the bird and in danger of coming in contact with the props. If you are going to try this, you might attach a thin rod like a dowel across the bottom of the landing gear than extends well out past the props and attach your messenger line to that. Then as you come down, don't go straight down, but angle out with the rod pointed back toward the tree. That way the line too would be angled more and, hopefully, stay away from the props. It will be tricky and you should be very aware of the wind and how the line is playing out. If it snags any, it could flip the bird or pull it into the trees. Let us know how things go.
I was thinking about the same thing after I wrote that above. I'd bet if you just went 10 or 20 feet down line rfom the bird and attached a fishing weight it would not interfere with your original operation, as you can have enough altitude to clear it, and fishing line is cheap. Then at landing just get plenty of distance from the tree to sit down. I'd think the sinker on the line would keep the line out of danger. I DO know that fishing line and propellers ARE somehow attracted to each other. :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl