Lifetime of props?

My P2NV has two original props from May '14.
The other two I ruined painting them.

Without trama or other abuse the lifetime is in the years not hours.

Changing them for no reason is a bit like superstition.

My P2NV has two original props from May '14.
The other two I ruined painting them.

Without trama or other abuse the lifetime is in the years not hours.

Changing them for no reason is a bit like superstition.
N017RW,
You may misunderstand the unit... My "20 hours" is counted by the flight record, actual running time of props.

The reason I think I must change is, because DJI 2312 motor is 960KV, that means props rotate over 14000rpm on 14.8V maximum. Say average rotation be 50% of that, 7000rpm means 480K rotations per hour, almost 10M rotations per 20 hours. During that, the nylon props are pulled by force, and when flying I give stress (sudden turn) hundreds of times per an hour. And, hit by tiny sand or insect maybe stress.
Also jet engine has 2000-9000 rpm turbine props (however that's much bigger than P3), and one the focus on maintenance is finding invisible cracks of turbine blade. P3 don't have redundancy as commercial jet airplane has - one of 8 foils broken then P3 drops.

From these reasons, I don't believe changing props by running time is superstitious, rather feel superstitious if one believes props have eternal life. :)

You should enjoy this toy in any way you see fit.
Replacing props by such a subjective manner is just wasteful and increases your per-flight costs.
But if it is what you enjoy that's what's important.

Reactions: Meta4
P.S. I personally defined hours to change "healthy" set of props by maintenance for 20 hours.
20 hours is about 6-12 month for my flight frequency, and $40 (2 sets of 2 props) for 20 hours is not expensive as a hobby. Any opinion?
If it was important DJI would have advised.
You asked them and they said nothing about 20, 40, etc hours.
Hitting hard objects is what damages props. Spinning in air isn't going to wear out small nylon props.

Reactions: bobmyers
If it was important DJI would have advised.
You asked them and they said nothing about 20, 40, etc hours.
Hitting hard objects is what damages props. Spinning in air isn't going to wear out small nylon props.
Hmm, my 20 hours maybe too short, I agree. :) Maybe 200 hours, but I don't think that's 2000 hours (1000 hours is continuous 40 days flow of Phantom, or 3000 times change of battery!!).
IMO the reason that DJI tech cannot tell the lifetime is, not they did 1000 hours of running test but don't open to us, but they simply have never done 1000+ hours of prop running test. DJI test pilots maybe in much better condition than we are, they can use free new props - I believe no DJI test pilot had been using using single set of props more than 1 hour. :D

I'm worrying not yet happened sudden death of healthy props, because, not I'm nervous (my friends always say I'm optimist :) ), but I'm flying with 2 sets of props this 5 month (200 times, 15 hours total), without crash. It's surprising - I've been flying traditional RC helicopters for decades of years, and some multi, but never experienced single prop flying est. 30+ times (maybe 3 hours) without crash. But P3 is a great machine - It never crashes this 5 month and continue flying 15 hours. Maybe more in future, and I'm afraid the first crack of a prop, burnout of a motor or an ESC will come earlier than first crash by mistake, and that'll cause first & last crash of my bird. I think I can sense a glitch of motor or ESC in pre-flight check. But prop breakage is catastrophic; I don't think if a small crack by material fatigue begins when takeoff, the prop can hold to the end of that flight - 20 minutes, 100 stress by turn/ascend/descend, 140000 rotations. And, some "mysterious" falling reported here maybe because of that... much suspicious than "IMU bug" or "no calibration of compass"... :p

Props aren't brittle.... if you are changing your props... free money into DJI's pockets. But if it makes people "feel" better.... I suppose why not?

198 flights ... 30½ hours total flight time. Orig stock props still fine! Of course at the FIRST sign of ANY defect ... IN THE TRASH THEY GO!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl