Life expectency of a P3

A

AbsPapa

Based on the fact that a fully charged P3 battery will give you 20-23 minutes of flight. How many flights can/should a P3 owner expect his drone to last before it has mechanical failure? What on a P3 will have the shortest life expectancy; what can be expected to wear out first; the motors, the batteries, the esc's, the main board, the camera, etc? P3's have been out now for what, 3 or 4 months now? I doubt anyone has worn one out this soon yet. If one did wear one out, can they be rebuilt at a reasonable cost?

Based on the fact that a fully charged P3 battery will give you 20-23 minutes of flight.
This is more like 18 minutes.

It's kind of early to tell which parts will be common replacement parts on the P3. On the P2, batteries, props, ESCs, and gimbals are very common replacement items. Props and gimbals are most likely being replaced due to pilot induced damage though.

I would say the batteries are the most consumable part of the bird (besides maybe the props) - then everything else should have a pretty long life - I'd guess the motors would be the next concern. Once DJI has these out for a while spare parts will be easier to come by... but based on my Phantom 2 and my brief time with the Phantom 3 - I would say you have years if you don't wreck :)

I did an endurance test and got 22mins with 39secs to go before an imminent auto land.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435685762.466909.jpg

Reactions: AbsPapa
It was good you were at 3.3' LOL

I did an endurance test and got 22mins with 39secs to go before an imminent auto land. View attachment 23486

I think PhantomHelp is referring to landing when you hit the low battery condition rather than the critical battery condition. I think the way DJI advertises flight time is a little misleading as it is better to land under your own control once you've reached the low battery warning.

Yeah, sure was. Pressure was on to land smartly, and I like a nice soft landing. [emoji6]

I would go out on a limb here and suggest "operator error" would be the number one cause of the early demise of a P3. I think there are a few people that have a hundred or more successful flights on theirs. But when will it break? That's the question. Everything has a life expectancy. What should we expect from our P3's?

I think PhantomHelp is referring to landing when you hit the low battery condition rather than the critical battery condition. I think the way DJI advertises flight time is a little misleading as it is better to land under your own control once you've reached the low battery warning.
I would agree. But as you can read on here people are wreckless trying to determine what they can max out on. I would rather baby mine and keep it around.

Agreed, but that aside, I prime battery will give you 23 ish minutes, even if the landing is enforced [emoji3]

I flew at sunrise this morning. 19 minutes with I think 20% left or 2-3 minutes before auto return. Was pretty happy cause I was afraid I was running it too hard having only one battery

Reactions: AbsPapa
I would agree. But as you can read on here people are wreckless trying to determine what they can max out on. I would rather baby mine and keep it around.

I'm the same way - fly well within the limits and only use the extra juice in emergency situations.

Of course... I have 5 batteries :)

I flew at sunrise this morning. 19 minutes with I think 20% left or 2-3 minutes before auto return. Was pretty happy cause I was afraid I was running it too hard having only one battery
You have to stay on your toes when in the RTH mode. It might RTH through a tree or a building. RTH isn't foolproof.

I've had 73 flights in 10 days, no issues at all. An long as you maintain the components, especially check for prop health, including the thread, and maybe replace the engines every two years or so, and don't fly in rain, they should last years.

Reactions: Akrosfer
I've had 73 flights in 10 days, no issues at all. An long as you maintain the components, especially check for prop health, including the thread, and maybe replace the engines every two years or so, and don't fly in rain, they should last years.
What do you base that on? No one has proved that yet. That would be reasonable to expect but not provable, is it?

Reactions: Bret Lucas
You have to stay on your toes when in the RTH mode. It might RTH through a tree or a building. RTH isn't foolproof.
A smart person would determine the highest obstacle in the area he/she is preparing to fly in. Then set the RTH altitude above that. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers