Licensed pilots

I got an Astronaut Pilot License from a Corn Flake box or Weeties box back in the 70's when I was about 10yo. I've still got it, will that do? I mean, surely if I can go to the moon I can fly my Phantom right? I'm a fully fledged Space Cadet... lol

ATP, multi engine, typed in Lear 23 24 25 31

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I strongly suspect that licensed pilots will have the advantage when the FAA does open the gate for the start of commercial sUAV operations. The recent buzz about movie companies gives a hint in that direction.

I suspect there will be additional operator qualifications requirements, and insurance will be one of them. I suspect it could begin falling into place sometime between August and November.

At least that is what my imaginary crystal ball is telling me.

SEL + HPerf here. Not current on physical. Flew 172's and 182's when I was current. I learned to fly at SMO, which butts tight up against the LAX Class B airspace. The Los Angeles sectional was never far away, and I had most of the tower/approach freqs memorized.

Not sure how a Private Pilot's license translates to the quad world, but I do believe that people with a pilot's license generally make better choices about how to fly a small UAV than those without.

licensed pilot since 1985. As far as it translating into our world, it simply means we understand right from wrong, the same way the FAA does. I seriously don't think they could ever regulate operators, if they have absolutely no oversight capabilities on the UAV.
the Media however, will continue the misinformation campaign leaning towards the FAA. We just have to deal with that and call BS whenever and wherever we can.

I have about 65 hours mostly in the C172 and some PA28. Was going to do the UK conversion when I lived there but took up one design sailing instead. No longer current and forgot a fair bit of the practical but I think some of the basic skills are still there.

ATP currently flying for airlines with over 8000 hours which I suspect will mean nothing in regards to any new FAA rules flying quads.

cfionthefly said:
ATP currently flying for airlines with over 8000 hours which I suspect will mean nothing in regards to any new FAA rules flying quads.

Well, if you are flying quads for fun, probably not since I suspect not much will be required. However, if you want to fly them commercially it may save you from having to take the PPL written test :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers