LICENSE FOR COMMERCIAL USE

Hi, Tomm. There is an Advisory Circular that describes Part 107 a bit more succinctly than the full FAR. There are two versions available in the Library at www.UAVGroundSchool.com. You have to do the free registration, but after that you can download any of the files there (including another must have, the Airman Certification Standards). These docs are also available at FAA.gov if you prefer to go there instead.

The entire 107 commercial thing is silly if you also don't back it up with a big fat wallet for the expensive as hell daily permits needed by the boatload of agencies that get into the mix, and the aerial liability insurance demands too. I would guess that in LA there is a very high percentage of people who do not get permits to shoot video due to time constraints (Might take a week to four weeks for a permit.) and expense hence they are illegally shooting. One actor on Jimmy Kimmel admitted they didn't have the permits to shoot for a major film and just rushed about and shot it, and another troupe took off when the police arrived and the actress got busted. Welcome to LA where commercial permits cost dearly - even for students now too.

When you apply for a video permit in LA at FilmLA, you are automatically out $660 per day for commercial video work. Then it climbs from there. My last one exceeded $2K. No wonder people shoot 'gorilla style' in LA (i.e. Shoot on the sly and run like hell!). They are pricing it beyond what one can profit from it, especially for the still photographer people who might be lucky to make $500 on an article with photos (If they are lucky enough to be paid these days!), yet the permit process can cost $1K+.

Walk into your local film commissioner's office and tell them, "You'd like to shoot an aerial of City Hall from a drone" and see what it will cost you to do it legally with a commercial license in your wallet - and if they even would allow it. I'd venture that you'll say, "Forget it!" That $150 you paid for that license may be a bigger waste of money than you think if you follow sundry aspects that follow it. It will be good for bragging rights though and to hang on the wall, but if anyone uses it permit wise, I somehow doubt it.

Been there and /rant.

GMack while it does cost $$ to be in this industry it can be a very lucrative occupation if you are up for the challenges and work to make it happen. I will admit I'm speaking of it from a whole different region (I'm in Western NC and we don't have a significant film industry) but we are able to carve out a nice little profit here but it takes a LOT of work and preparation.

The entire 107 commercial thing is silly if you also don't back it up with a big fat wallet for the expensive as hell daily permits needed by the boatload of agencies that get into the mix, and the aerial liability insurance demands too. I would guess that in LA there is a very high percentage of people who do not get permits to shoot video due to time constraints (Might take a week to four weeks for a permit.) and expense hence they are illegally shooting. One actor on Jimmy Kimmel admitted they didn't have the permits to shoot for a major film and just rushed about and shot it, and another troupe took off when the police arrived and the actress got busted. Welcome to LA where commercial permits cost dearly - even for students now too.

When you apply for a video permit in LA at FilmLA, you are automatically out $660 per day for commercial video work. Then it climbs from there. My last one exceeded $2K. No wonder people shoot 'gorilla style' in LA (i.e. Shoot on the sly and run like hell!). They are pricing it beyond what one can profit from it, especially for the still photographer people who might be lucky to make $500 on an article with photos (If they are lucky enough to be paid these days!), yet the permit process can cost $1K+.

Walk into your local film commissioner's office and tell them, "You'd like to shoot an aerial of City Hall from a drone" and see what it will cost you to do it legally with a commercial license in your wallet - and if they even would allow it. I'd venture that you'll say, "Forget it!" That $150 you paid for that license may be a bigger waste of money than you think if you follow sundry aspects that follow it. It will be good for bragging rights though and to hang on the wall, but if anyone uses it permit wise, I somehow doubt it.

Been there and /rant.

Film Permits in Los Angeles are required for commercial motion pictures and not for real estate marketing.
See attached pdf.

Attachments

• LAFilmPermits.pdf
    74.2 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: GMack
Film Permits in Los Angeles are required for commercial motion pictures and not for real estate marketing.
See attached pdf.

Good to know real estate is excluded. Seems the code posted is for city properties only too. The "still photos" I always wondered about, as well as students who get hit for videos that likely will never be seen as a major motion picture. Of course, law enforcement may have other thoughts though if they ask you about it too, or someone complains about a wayward drone flying around nearby. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik