LICENSE FOR COMMERCIAL USE

Here's a thought. Part of the commercial license process includes a background check by TSA. I could envision that part of that check might include looking at an applicant's social media material! Wouldn't it be interesting if someone got denied because they had posted (or even commented on) some some stupid, dangerous or possibly illegal drone activity?

No offense :confused:, but a bad one IMO..

Here's a thought. Part of the commercial license process includes a background check by TSA. I could envision that part of that check might include looking at an applicant's social media material! Wouldn't it be interesting if someone got denied because they had posted (or even commented on) some some stupid, dangerous or possibly illegal drone activity?

It wouldn't be the worst idea LOL.

Also it wouldn't be the first time someone's social media came back to haunt them.

I've been wondering if going the commercial route with the drone could also require one to have liability insurance, where recreational might not?

Much like some pro photographers do to shoot in certain locations where they have to show some general liability bond in case of injury just to get permission to fly over people, parks, etc. I know when I looked at some permit application that anything airborne had the liability insurance as an additional requirement, some up to $5 million.

Mack-

Blanket statements like this can get you into trouble.

Uber is an example. You can carry passengers for hire with no CDL.
I've been wondering if going the commercial route with the drone could also require one to have liability insurance, where recreational might not?

Much like some pro photographers do to shoot in certain locations where they have to show some general liability bond in case of injury just to get permission to fly over people, parks, etc. I know when I looked at some permit application that anything airborne had the liability insurance as an additional requirement, some up to $5 million.

Mack-
the faa won't require insurance, but many potential customers might. And it is really a good idea to have it anyway because you could be held liable for any damage caused by your bird. I'll be doing my work through an LLC ( I also registered my phantom through the LLC) so I will be somewhat protected, but will still get a separate policy just to cover drone ops. And while recreational use doesn't require insurance, there is still the liability issue. For recreational I use, join the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics). Their members are covered under a group policy and it's only $65 a year. Note AMA insurance does NOT cover commercial use.

Liability insurance is just plain SMART. Most of the work I do requires a minimal liability policy and some require a lot. One job I applied for (but didn't get) required a $5M policy and I would have increased my coverage HAD I gotten that job but I didn't.

I'll be doing my work through an LLC ( I also registered my phantom through the LLC) so I will be somewhat protected, but will still get a separate policy just to cover drone ops.

You're VERY smart to get it. The LLC offers a good degree of protection but that "veil of protection" can be penetrated in some instances and a good attorney can usually pierce that veil if they try long and hard enough. This way you're doubly covered which is exactly how I do it and highly suggest it.

I use my drone as a hobby but if I get a friend of mine asking me if I could film their wedding and they pay me it's got nothing to do with having a license or safety at the end of the day it's my buisness if I get money or not I think the commercial bit of the rule is stupid.... I have took pictures of a restaurwnt with permission without getting paid but what if I did ?

La Rocca's Photography

Here we go again! After all the work that this community has done to get the FAA to come out with Part 107, we still get these guys whining and making comments like the rule being stupid (the commercial aspect isn't just a bit of the rule, it is the rule). I suspect that the FAA isn't going to be very happy with anyone not playing by the new rule and could come down pretty hard on them. And like I mentioned in another post, businesses that might hire you are likely to be reporting what they pay you as part of their business expenses which means a paper trail with the IRS! Just way too many potential bad outcomes to not get the license.

Reactions: Falcon900
With all of the discussion here and on other threads about getting a license, let's not forget the second requirement for operating commercially - that is that the aircraft has to be registered as well! That's not the hobby registration that many of us did back in Dec/Jan - that registered you as a drone operator. this is specifically registering the aircraft with the FAA just like the manned ones do. Two ways to go, go to the FAA drone registration site and click on "Commercial". that will open up the page for you to enter aircraft type, serial number, etc. You then get a registration number which MUST be displayed on the outside of the aircraft in letters as large as possible. I wanted a traditional "N" number for my bird, so I went the paper route. got the number and the aircraft certification form with has to be with the aircraft. Paper route takes longer, but it was a lot easier to put that number on than the much longer one from the website. And if we want to be treated like real aircraft, it's nice to have a 'real' aircraft registration number.

The real purpose of the new 107 certification and test is to ensure that commercial operators have the necessary knowledge of the National Airspace System and the regulations. That's the reason that the "old" 333 required a pilot to operate the controls. The pilot had that training. Now, drone pilots (Remote Pilots) can get the same training and can move on with their operations.
If I am a commercial real estate agent and sometimes use my drone to take aerials to put in a marketing package. Is that considered commercial use? I do not sell my books or sell the pictures. Any thoughts?

From everything I've read, Yes
Agree! That is exactly the type of application considered to be "commercial". You may not be selling the pictures, but you are using the pictures to sell real estate.

Thanks. I did just research and clearly you should have one of the pics are not just for personal use but for marketing materials. Thanks. I would will get the certification regardless just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Richard is spot on. The purpose of the flight was to produce a commercial result. Whether or not money exchanged hands is irrelevant.

Better talk to a lawyer about the protection afforded by an LLC. It is practically none. Even a full corporation will offer little protection in a liability suit. If you have any personal assets, you darn sure better have professional liability insurance.

I use my drone as a hobby but if I get a friend of mine asking me if I could film their wedding and they pay me it's got nothing to do with having a license or safety at the end of the day it's my buisness if I get money or not I think the commercial bit of the rule is stupid.... I have took pictures of a restaurwnt with permission without getting paid but what if I did ?

La Rocca's Photography

Just be aware that the FAA has a long history of enforcing its own definition of "commercial operations". And, they carry a big stick. Whether or not you think it is commercial is irrelevant.

Newbie here. After reading every line of every post, can some one please put the new 107 rules in English.

What do I need to fly my drone commercially in WI and MN?

How and where can I take this pilot test?

Thank you

YOU need to go through the CATS site (FAA test, Private Pilot Exam & Aviation Test | CATS) to schedule your UAS Pilot Certification test. Cost is $150. They will schedule for the test at a local Test Center. As a Newbie, you will need to do some serious studying before the test. After you take (and hopefully pass) the test, you go online at https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/Default.aspx to fill out and submit your certification application. After a TSA background check you will be issued your sUAS certification. At that point, as far as the FAA is concerned, you can fly commercially. What Business hoops such as business license your state may require you'll have to research through their various sites. Most have a small business page with information about incorporating, requirements and obtaining a EIN from the IRS, etc. That's all separate and different form satisfying the FAA pilot and aircraft requirements.

Reactions: N017RW
Also you'll need to register your aircraft "Commercially" which is a piece of cake but totally different than the HOBBY registration.

Also you'll need to register your aircraft "Commercially" which is a piece of cake but totally different than the HOBBY registration.
Yep, go to the same FAA page and click on "Commercial" instead of "Hobby". then fill in the blanks. Note: there are some differences when you register your 'aircraft' commercially. In this case, you are actually registering the aircraft and not the pilot! Also, now you have to have the registration # on the outside of the aircraft in as large of lettering as physically possible. And finally, since aircraft registration #'s are kept by the FAA, if your bird is lost or destroyed, you have to report it, just like the big boys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues