LICENSE FOR COMMERCIAL USE

Yeah, I can't see how North Carolina can control operations in the National Airspace System. It's a Federal issue. And like BigAl said, operating with a 333 exemption requires that the >operator< be a "real" pilot, but when Part 107 goes live next month, you can get an FAA airman certification for commercial drone ops. Here's a video:

If you fly your drone for compensation you must be a commercial Pilot,That is the law in N.C.I'm a Commercial Helicopter Pilot..

Why couldn't someone just film an event and get paid cash under the table and show no record of payment? For small little projects this would be a fine approach.

If you fly your drone for compensation you must be a commercial Pilot,That is the law in N.C.I'm a Commercial Helicopter Pilot..

I appreciate your conviction but unless you mean until the end of August 2016 I think you may be behind the times regarding this.

Why couldn't someone just film an event and get paid cash under the table and show no record of payment? For small little projects this would be a fine approach.

Absolutely.

I bet this happens in all type of businesses.

Do you have a Drivers License?

I mean if you never intend to get caught on short trips why have it, what a hassle!

Reactions: BigAl07
Call Chris at NCDOT Aviation Division

Michael, please PM me Chris's # and I'll call him right now. No big deal but you're still wrong. I've been doing this for 40+ years but don't take my word for it. Here's directly from the NCDOT Aviation Division's website:

NCDOT: Commercial Operators
Federal Restrictions & Requirements
  • Commercial UAS/drone operators must receive a Section 333 Exemption from the federal government. This is a case-by-case exemption that must be applied for and approved by the FAA.
  • As an alternative to a Section 333 Exemption, a UAS operator may apply for a federal Special Airworthiness Certificate from the FAA. Once an operator receives either a Section 333 Exemption or a Special Airworthiness Certificate, the UAS must be used in accordance with any restrictions or limitations included in the FAA's authorization.

Now if you want to delve into the requirements of a Section 333 Exemption I'm more than happy to oblige as I have mine handy and I can provide numerous FAA approved ones just like it for you to read over. It ONLY requires a min of a Sport Pilot rating and that's IT! We're not talking about manned aviation so those regs do NOT apply in this case what so ever.

Because it's the law?

What is a Commercial Operator?
A person or company using UAS/drone technology for compensation or business purposes. This includes any person or company using a drone in any way to advertise, promote or demonstrate a product or service – even if the product or service itself does not include a UAS, UAS-derived photography, etc.

For example, if a real estate agent uses a drone to photograph a property in order to advertise or promote that real estate for sale or lease, then that UAS operation is commercial: the UAS was used for business purposes.

Reactions: cfd701
Except in some oddball circumstances, 333 operations will virtually evaporate the day that the Part 107 certification goes into effect.

Except in some oddball circumstances, 333 operations will virtually evaporate the day that the Part 107 certification goes into effect.

In the sense that most of the operators today know yes. The Exemption 333 process will still be valid for some instances where "off the shelf" approval can't be granted. My understanding is that in time there will also be a similar "Exemption" process for Part 107 operations that don't fall into the catch-all bin as well. Regulations require exemptions or nothing would ever get done LOL!

My understanding is that in time there will also be a similar "Exemption" process for Part 107 operations that don't fall into the catch-all bin as well.

Yep, these would be in the form of waivers. The waiver system is already in place for FAA operations and will help standardize Remote Pilot operations with other pilot operations.

Remember, that in order to operate any vehicle (Truck, boat, car, plane) for commercial purposes you have to have a commercial license. And the FAA has decided that UAS's operating commercially are, in fact, aircraft. After everything is said and done, the new part 107 rules are pretty easy to accommodate and they do offer some expanded flexibility that the old 333 exemption doesn't.

Reactions: N42742
It's a huge improvement over the 333 exemptions!

Remember, that in order to operate any vehicle (Truck, boat, car, plane) for commercial purposes you have to have a commercial license. And the FAA has decided that UAS's operating commercially are, in fact, aircraft. After everything is said and done, the new part 107 rules are pretty easy to accommodate and they do offer some expanded flexibility that the old 333 exemption doesn't.

I'm not sure I understand. Is this statement a North Carolinia law? It certainly is not the case in Maryland. So N.C. pizza delivery personal have to have a CDL to deliver pizza's????

Reactions: VFA22Bonefish
I'm not sure I understand. Is this statement a North Carolinia law? It certainly is not the case in Maryland. So N.C. pizza delivery personal have to have a CDL to deliver pizza's????
CDL as with other drivers licenses are issued by the states so their rules apply. Aircraft operate in the NAS and the FAA has jurisdiction. Hence the part 107. And states are usually the regulatory agencies for businesses, etc. SO states may have laws or regulations about business operations. Sounds like NC is just mirroring the federal statutes. I don't think anyone stated that NC was issuing commercial pilot license, just requiring them.

They are mirroring Federal regs AND requiring the operator to take a state knowledge test and be granted a state Commercial UAS Operator Permit.

CDL as with other drivers licenses are issued by the states so their rules apply. Aircraft operate in the NAS and the FAA has jurisdiction. Hence the part 107. And states are usually the regulatory agencies for businesses, etc. SO states may have laws or regulations about business operations. Sounds like NC is just mirroring the federal statutes. I don't think anyone stated that NC was issuing commercial pilot license, just requiring them.
I understand what your saying, however that does not answer my question. Based on your statement earlier; are pizza delivery personnel in NC required to have a CDL?

I'm trying to determine the scope of your statement, as I wasn't aware of such a requirment not based on vehicle weight.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Reactions: VFA22Bonefish
Remember, that in order to operate any vehicle (Truck, boat, car, plane) for commercial purposes you have to have a commercial license.

Blanket statements like this can get you into trouble.

Uber is an example. You can carry passengers for hire with no CDL.

Reactions: Falcon900
Remeber the jerks that interfered with the fires in California? Morons ruin it for us all.

Another one just happened yesterday, I am so pissed. People are so stupid, this is no different than driving your car straight or around a ambulance/fire truck/ police vehicle.

What part of fly responsibly people do not understand.

this is what was on the headlines this morning "

DRONE OPERATOR SOUGHT FOR POSSIBLY HAMPERING EAGLE ROCK FIREFIGHT"

Drone owner sought for possibly hampering Eagle Rock firefight

Here's a thought. Part of the commercial license process includes a background check by TSA. I could envision that part of that check might include looking at an applicant's social media material! Wouldn't it be interesting if someone got denied because they had posted (or even commented on) some some stupid, dangerous or possibly illegal drone activity?

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4