licence

A license for what?

Right. You only need a license if you want to fly commercially.

Is it still a pilots license for commercial or did they develop a smaller course for a license?

You need at least a recreational or sport pilot license. That requirement will go away when the FAA releases their new rules (some year).

Last edited:
You need at least an recreational or sport pilot license. That requirement will go away when the FAA releases their new rules (some year).

Right after the kick on the registration... for which they were shooting to finalize by mid-November and start up mid-December. But hey.. they also said registration work would not interfere with the 4 month over-due regulations.

In the meantime... more and more illegal laws are being passed and drone fliers are being harassed.

You need at least a recreational or sport pilot license. That requirement will go away when the FAA releases their new rules (some year).
Just go away or replaced with more BS? Got a feeling it will be expensive.

It won't "go away". An Airman's Certificate will still be required for commercial flight but the Part 107 rules will create a new class of Airman's Certificate for UAS operators. There's still a written test, but you don't have to learn to fly a Cessna.

Right after the kick on the registration... for which they were shooting to finalize by mid-November and start up mid-December. But hey.. they also said registration work would not interfere with the 4 month over-due regulations.

In the meantime... more and more illegal laws are being passed and drone fliers are being harassed.
There's so much wrong with everything you said. The mid-november date was for the Task Force report which they met. The DOT has asked the FAA to finalize a registration process before the end of the year, but the FAA made no such commitment. The registration is simply a change in policy - not a new rule. Aircraft registration has been in the rules for decades but the FAA ignored them for model aircraft.

The part 107 rules are being developed in the FAA Washington offices and the registration policy is being developed in Oklahoma City.

The only illegal drone laws being passed are by the amateur legislators in town hall and state capitols.

There's so much wrong with everything you said. The mid-november date was for the Task Force report which they met. The DOT has asked the FAA to finalize a registration process before the end of the year, but the FAA made no such commitment.
I can only say, watch the question and answer portion of there announcement again. They states that they will finalize the registration process by mid November and hope to roll it out mid December.

"Hope... task force will complete it's recommendations by mid November [11/20]... and having some rules in place by mid December"

"With the goal of having some rules in place by the middle part of December".

The only illegal drone laws being passed are by the amateur legislators in town hall and state capitols.
Which is what I'm referring to. Most are doing it because they feel no current rules are in place. They are pretty much correct in that regard. It's kind of a catch-22... until the FAA comes out with regulations on drones, local law enforcement will continue to make these over-baring and illegal laws. Drone flying will also be painted as a wild west shoot out in the media as well.

What I stated is still all correct. Point being... the FAA is over-due on drone regulations and I suspect drone registration will be the same way.

Just go away or replaced with more BS? Got a feeling it will be expensive.
By go away, I meant you will not need a manned aircraft license. The FAA is working on creating a new "operator license". They didn't mention the exact cost or method to acquire it, but it will be easily obtainable by most people.

I can only say, watch the question and answer portion of there announcement again. They states that they will finalize the registration process by mid November and hope to roll it out mid December.

"Hope... task force will complete it's recommendations by mid November [11/20]... and having some rules in place by mid December"

"With the goal of having some rules in place by the middle part of December".

Which is what I'm referring to. Most are doing it because they feel no current rules are in place. They are pretty much correct in that regard. It's kind of a catch-22... until the FAA comes out with regulations on drones, local law enforcement will continue to make these over-baring and illegal laws. Drone flying will also be painted as a wild west shoot out in the media as well.

What I stated is still all correct. Point being... the FAA is over-due on drone regulations and I suspect drone registration will be the same way.
"Hope to have..." is not a commitment.

There already are federal rules in place:
49 U.S. Code §40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace
(a) Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit.—
(1) The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States.

Only the FAA may regulate flight.
Only the FAA may create a no-fly-zone.

"Hope to have..." is not a commitment.

There already are federal rules in place:
49 U.S. Code §40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace
(a) Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit.—
(1) The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States.

Only the FAA may regulate flight.
Only the FAA may create a no-fly-zone.
Which is why I said, "shooting for". My point is stil that the FAA has yet to put out their regulations on drones and that is 4 months past the due date. Now they want to set up registration. This thread is about getting ready for that registration. Well, no one should be holding their breath. The FAA told people they would expedite that plan but that holds next to no weight.

What I'm pissed about is that this feet dragging is allowing the media to continue with the hysteria and local law enforcement to create illegal laws. We both know those laws are illegal but that is not the big problem with them. The big problem is a person needs to turn prove they are illegal. I live in Utah. If I fly in Sullfolk County NY and they charge me under their local laws, I need to go back to NY and argue my case. Cheaper just to pay the fine... or not fly.

So it's little of a catch 22.. I don't want dones regulated (or at most, very little) but we need something from the FAA in order to stop all of this other nonsense.

The only news I see or hear is bad news from some dumb *** doing **** they are not supposed to be doing. **** like this keeps happening and they will choke us with regulations to the point it won't be fun anymore. Am hoping to place my order next week if xmas deals show up. Plan on flying responsibly.

They aren't "dragging their feet", but promulgating new rules is a huge task because of all of the legal areas that are impacted. The Part 103 rules for ultralight aircraft is pretty simple as a set of rules, but it took eight years from NPRM to final rules. Every line in the proposed rule has to be vetted by legal and enforcement divisions to make sure that line 135 of a rule doesn't contradict line 15. To make sure the proposed rule is in compliance with the law governing aviation rules. And a dozen other cross-checks, vetting and approvals. he rules also have to be flexible so that a minor change may be accomplished in the future with a minimum of new vetting work. If we get Part 107 next year, then the FAA will have been working at bureaucratic light-speed.

Registration is not a new rule, just implementing a policy to enforce existing rules with model aircraft.

If you want to stop all the stupid local laws, then don't come all unglued when the most logical solution is proposed. Operator certificates for everyone.

I wonder if Santa's got a FAA/CAA licence to travel the world:D

Bet he ain't.....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl