Letter from Homeowners Association

Ksc said:
I...r in Florida, the land of HOAs (I think we have more HOAs in South Floirda than the whole country combined). Items that are completely legal were banned in some communities. I've seen HOAs ban skateboards, rollerblades, electric razor scooters, basketball hoops, and even flying a kite. When you purchase a home in the community, you are given a list of bylaws and documents to sign....

I think the environs of Montgomery County Maryland, can match that HOA for HOA... ask the folks that live in Montgomery Villiage in Gaithersburg/Rockville how they like not being able to park "trucks" at their home... that's right- no trucks allowed... any trucks and especially "work" trucks like communications vans or parts delivery pickups or anything. Some people have to park a 1/4 mile from their home on a main thoroughfare and walk a few blocks back to home.

Personally, I would never buy, or invest in any property where a bunch of busy bodied moral indignation riddled mouth breathers can manufacture outrage over whatever catches their sociopath ire at the moment.

I lived in S. Fla... and maybe Inverrary competes... perhaps Boca Raton has a spot or 2... but I bet they are not that draconian.

Ksc said:
It is not the "law" that matters here but the "bylaws" of your HOA. I spent many years as a realtor in Florida, the land of HOAs (I think we have more HOAs in South Floirda than the whole country combined). Items that are completely legal were banned in some communities. I've seen HOAs ban skateboards, rollerblades, electric razor scooters, basketball hoops, and even flying a kite. When you purchase a home in the community, you are given a list of bylaws and documents to sign. While it is very likely that "drone" is not actually worded in the bylaws (since drone is a new concept) it definitely talks about nuisance and privacy.

I would go with option 1 but seeing your replies to some of the other posts, I have a slight feeling you may be going with option 2. To each their own but before you get in a pissing match with the HOA, you might want to take a step back and see that you don't have a leg to stand on. You can go to your attorney and he can draft some letters to send back to the HOA but the irony is, he will then be billing you for nothing.

KSC, you seem very knowledgeable, so I ask you this question. Do HOAs have jurisdiction on airspace around their HOA?

HOAs have jurisdiction over anything they can get people to agree to. For instance, I am a licensed ham operator. Yet my HOA prohibits antennas of any kind (exception is Direct TV). The FCC has made it clear that this is not legal to do, yet as long as I agreed to it then I am stuck. Which is why it is worth going over your HOA with a fine tooth comb before signing it.

SilentAV8R said:
HOAs have jurisdiction over anything they can get people to agree to. For instance, I am a licensed ham operator. Yet my HOA prohibits antennas of any kind (exception is Direct TV). The FCC has made it clear that this is not legal to do, yet as long as I agreed to it then I am stuck. Which is why it is worth going over your HOA with a fine tooth comb before signing it.

I actually looked into that very issue because my group in Maine would not allow even a dish. Sent the FCC a letter, they sent a violation letter to the HA fixed the problem. The down side to that would have been if they got fined, part of it would have come out of my pocket.

WeaponsHot said:
SilentAV8R said:

I actually looked into that very issue because my group in Maine would not allow even a dish. Sent the FCC a letter, they sent a violation letter to the HA fixed the problem. The down side to that would have been if they got fined, part of it would have come out of my pocket.

You had better luck than me. FCC responded to me that generally it is not legal unless I agreed to it. Well, I was given no choice and we needed to close on the house. So..... No antenna for me. :cry:

WeaponsHot said:
SilentAV8R said:

It'd be interesting to know if their dish restriction was in effect when you bought the property, or was enacted afterwards. Perhaps a fine point but if it was a requirement before you "agreed" to it, it probably doesn't make you popular with the neighbors.

I'm guessing the FCC could hold sway because although an HOA can enact virtually anything the association members agree to, they can't enact anything that's unlawful. Not sure what it would be but the FCC must have some regulation that precludes such restrictions ... then again they may be acting like the FAA was, and are enforcing regulations that don't actually exist.

Hiway said:
I think the environs of Montgomery County Maryland, can match that HOA for HOA... ask the folks that live in Montgomery Villiage in Gaithersburg/Rockville how they like not being able to park "trucks" at their home... that's right- no trucks allowed... any trucks and especially "work" trucks like communications vans or parts delivery pickups or anything. Some people have to park a 1/4 mile from their home on a main thoroughfare and walk a few blocks back to home.

Don't forget North Potomac/West Rockville/South Darnestown (all the same place) :D I grew up in Gaithersburg, and left just as the planned community explosion started in Monkey County. What's funny is how even the crappy run down neighborhoods have HOA's that are just as restrictive as the fancier places to the west and north.

WeaponsHot said:
KSC, you seem very knowledgeable, so I ask you this question. Do HOAs have jurisdiction on airspace around their HOA?

No the airspace is something they cannot control. BUT, if you live within that community they can in a way control it. Like the issue that Larry is having. Now if someone that doesn't live in the community was to drive to a public park near the community and launch the quad from there, the HOA cannot do anything. They have no control over that person. The residents could call the police and at that time the police would need to determine if you were breaking any laws. If you were flying 200 feet above and just taking pictures of the sunset, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. If you were flying 20 feet above someone's pool while they laid out topless, then that would be a big deal. Yes technically that person is nude in public but if they have a fenced in property then they have done all that is required for the assumption of privacy.

Now if you were to do the same thing and launch the quad from the park, fly over the community, land back at the park, and return home. Technically the HOA could send you a love note because you agreed to their laws. Even though you were not on their grounds, you broke one of their bylaws.

Laws/rules are a funny thing. We have the normal laws that everyone in the USA is used to. The laws that many young men die to protect year after year. But those laws are only applicable if you have not agree to other/additional laws that would supersede the USA laws. Two example, one is if you were in an S&M relationship. If an individual was to tie up and whip another in a normal situation, the whipper could be charged with kidnapping and physical abuse. The whipper could be arrested and it would surely go to court. Take the same situation with two people in an S&M relationship where the whips and chains are a normal way of life. The person being whipped cannot press charges against the whipper (well they could but wouldn't go anywhere) because they whippee consented to the acts of S&M. In that example, the "law/rule" has been pushed beyond the laws that most Americans agree upon. But they haven't broken any laws because both have consented. Sort of like it isn't stealing if someone said you could borrow their car.

The second example is walmart and photography. This example is more applicable to the HOA situation. If you go to the public park with a camera, you can take as many pictures as your heart desires. Take that same camera into Walmart and you will be asked to put it away. This is because you are on their property and the rules on their property state that you cannot take photos. In this situation, the laws and rules that Americans are used to have been limited beyond what is normal yet that is totally ok. You agree to the rules when you walk in the building. If you have ever gone anywhere in which you sign a waiver, the reason you sign the waiver is because you are waiving you right to some laws/rules that other would deem normal. The same thing happens in an HOA. When you join the community, you sign on the dotted line that says you are agreeing to whatever laws they make up, no matter how crazy they are. Most HOAs will have HOA meetings and will allow you to vote on the laws and changes. If you want to fly your quad, get people to say its ok. Get enough votes and you can pass the new law saying its ok.

Side note. It is pretty common to not allow work trucks to be parked in your driveway. The truth is, they are ugly. All the ladders and crap hanging off of them.

OI Photography said:
Hiway said:

Don't forget North Potomac/West Rockville/South Darnestown (all the same place) :D I grew up in Gaithersburg, and left just as the planned community explosion started in Monkey County. What's funny is how even the crappy run down neighborhoods have HOA's that are just as restrictive as the fancier places to the west and north.

Ah yes... I had forgotten. I moved away in 1997 from that ...place. (Germantown- Stratford Knolls, right by the 355/ Damascus Rd intersection. Near Fox Chapel)

Ksc said:
Side note. It is pretty common to not allow work trucks to be parked in your driveway. The truth is, they are ugly. All the ladders and crap hanging off of them.

Common? I will say it is common. (if common means asinine)
I cannot agree less... but that is why I choose to not ever live in a planned community or sub division- the ideal of a HOA is fine- in practice, we all know what sorts of people dominate those things- the people with no job, or menial mentality work, over developed amygdala, busy body, cannot mind their own business, and adept at manufacturing outrage type wastes of oxygen.

Ben Franklin said, "The world is full of fools and faint hearts; and yet everyone has courage enough to bear the misfortunes, and wisdom enough to manage the affairs, of his neighbor."

LarryLeisure said:
This was from 10 a.m today....turned out decent i thought

20aug6d.jpg

We must be neighbors. I know where this is. Nice shot.

I'm expecting my letter any day now. I've been flying out my back yard for the last month or so. There is a large green belt behind us between communities with no homes in it (the land is reserved for the local water wells and sewage treatment facilities (nice to know they are co located). I try real hard not to fly over people's houses or to loiter as though I am videoing anyone. It's just a very convenient place to fly with a minimized chance that a crash would hurt anyone or cause any property damage. But I'm sure the same people that were just breaking my chops about weeds on my lawn or painting my mailbox are just fuming every time they hear my phantom buzzing around.

If I get the letter I will most likely at least have it reviewed by a lawyer just to see what my risk is. But most likely I'll just have to pick up my toy and go play somewhere else. I agree with most here that when you move into a neighborhood with an HOA you are agreeing to abide by the rules

The rules and laws are coming whether its an HOA or even a city ordinance. While I was researching for an upcoming court case I found out in the city Laguna Beach CA, where the OP's pic was taken, you can't fly a kite, dig a hole, have any shade/umbrella over 6', or throw a football on the beach. For 10 mil on the beach you have a little pull at city hall.

Camera or not, California civil code 1708.8 requires an intent to invade your neighbors' privacy. I think it's pretty easy to demonstrate that your intent is to fly your RC and not spy on your neighbors. Otherwise, a private pilot in a Cessna at 500ft with a GoPro sticking out the window would also be breaking the rules even if their intent was to film their flight.

A person is liable for physical invasion of privacy
when the defendant knowingly enters onto the land of another person
without permission or otherwise committed a trespass in order to
physically invade the privacy of the plaintiff with the intent to
capture any type of visual image, sound recording, or other physical
impression of the plaintiff engaging in a personal or familial
activity and the physical invasion occurs in a manner that is
offensive to a reasonable person.

If your intent is to traverse the airspace to get to somewhere else and not to spy on your neighbors, then you are perfectly legit under California law. HOA is another matter.

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy
"Wow...go back into your trailer in Kentucky and crack another Olde English. Cre8tive leo or whatever...baha...what a Douche you are!!

you brought nothing of substance to this post. nada..zip. Law says 2 things: "not over 400 feet...not within *3 miles* (I think of airports.

Suck it Junior...."

Hey Larry, thanks for the Kentucky crack...Not every one from Ky is trailor trash, try not talking crap to people you don't even kow. Hello from Kentucky

I live in a HOA community in Florida and yes they can force foreclosure. This is a homestead state. Our homes are protected. Liens can be placed but the only right to foreclose on my home is:
1) mortgage.
2) IRS. no state/local tax in Fl. AND
3) HOA. I didn't believe it at first but yes they can. $100 check lost in mail while i was on a one year hiatus resulted in nearly $5,000 to stop court house steps auction. The only reason i still own my home is that a bidder went to my neighbors house accidentally to "view" it b4 bidding. He called my cell phone. I was California. 3 hr time diff. Friday evening. Monday morning auction. No bank hours. Fortunately i have family with that amount of cash on hand to stop auction.

Not relative to this thread. But caution about getting into a "pissing match" with HOA? How about a loose your home match.
My case was rare. They sent mail to my address. Registered mail, return signature required never found me. Just sent back. Add in local paper about locating me. Both failed. So almost "SOLD"

Two other things caused your problem
1. Knowing you signed into an HOA
2. Leaving for a year without notifying anyone or forwarding address or watching your home

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik