Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Lets talk about the AMA, My review.

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by Migmon, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Migmon

sounds like a good organization to be a part of and support. Here are two things i dont like:
    1) i purchased a membership for a year on the 18th of march. I recieved my membership card today and it says it is only good till 12-31-14 so thats not a year. I checked the website to reread the fine print today only to see now they are offering 25% off on memberships. thats irritating.

2) I have left 2 voice mails regarding insurance coverage and how it pertains to us and no response back a third voice mail was left today.

so while on paper it looks like a worth while organization but not really sure what happens if you actually had a claim or when you just need to speak to someone. what I am saying is buyer beware, my experience so far has been less than satisfying.

2. F6Rider

Hmmm, I just joined with a 3 month trial membership, haven't had any reason to contact them but after your report I will make a stab at it just to see if they either respond or answer the phone. I joined mainly for the insurance coverage if ever needed, but if you can't get a hold of them it is useless. Thanks for the heads-up.

3. onfourblades

i also am a member and was upset about the expiration in 12-31-14 .... Please let me know your findings when u are contact, if ur contacted

4. Cominsk

I've been an AMA member for a few years now, flying Helis. You're correct, every membership expires on 12/31. It keeps the costs down in trying to get out renewal memberships at different times throughout the year. Do wish they'd pro-rate the membership fees though. I've never had a claim but from reading other forums the insurance is good protection and does include multi-rotors. In fact the AMA Magazine this month has a front page picture of a DJI on the cover. Well worth the membership fee for a $1 million liability policy and the print and online magazine. Finally, AMA has been a great advocate for the multi-rotor niche and has been working with the FAA in trying to slow down or prevent the onerous restriction on "drones".

5. SilentAV8R

I've been an AMA member for over 45 years. Not sure what number you were dialing, but the insurance person is Ilona Maine. You can email her at: ilonam@modelaircraft.org

You can also find answers to loads of questions in the documents: http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx

Specifically, the Insurance covers you no matter what or where you are flying as long as you following the Safety Code.

Membership is on an annual basis, ending on 12/31 aech year.
    Here is the dues policy: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/912.pdf

From that document:

6. kloader

Good info. Thanks for posting.

7. DesertFlyer53

Subcribing to this thread. I've been contemplating joining the AMA for the insurance coverage.

8. Migmon

I received a call back last week and they were happy to accommodate me and address my pricing concerns, they also said they want to welcome drone pilots and insurance will be honored as long as we are flying to their safe code of conduct. So faith restored, still disappointed in the way memberships are handled but they will offer deeper discounts on a quarterly basis as the year moves on.

9. SilentAV8R

Two things to keep in mind. The Safety Code requires that you comply with all applicable FAA and FCC regulations. Not so much from the FAA right, but consider that FCC rules have some very specific things to say about modifying certified Part 15 radios. Bottom line is you cannot do much. Even a simple antenna change violates the FCC rules. But having said that, there are still many ways to operate legally and have a load of fun !!