Let's Talk About Gains

Hrmm, interesting findings. It really can be counter-intuitive sometimes.

What is Black 50 rigidity?

I think we've ended up with settings like this because of the additional weight we're carrying.

MonsieurAnon said:
Hrmm, interesting findings. It really can be counter-intuitive sometimes.

What is Black 50 rigidity?

I think we've ended up with settings like this because of the additional weight we're carrying.

Its the black rubber absorber.

I am still a little lost, I read the first thread and a few below. My issue is since going to NAZA mode my Phantom doesn't have that take off power it had in Phantom mode, once its up in the air though and I flip the throttle up it will shoot up like a rocket.. Would adjusting my gain help this take off issue and if so what gain am I actually adjusting?? And I assume adjustments of only 10% right?

Thanks for the help

Has anyone added a Rotorpixel gimbal to their Phantom 2 Vision, and if so, did you adjust any of your gains? I suspect with the additional weight and possibly a change in the centre of gravity, adjusting the gains might be worthwhile. What I would like to know is if anyone has done so and I might be able to learn from past expeience(s). Thanks.

I added the RP and changed my gain settings after reading a thread about gains for the Vision +
Basic Pitch 125 - Roll 125 - Yaw 120 - Vertical 140.
ATTI Pitch 260 - Roll 260.

The Vertical gain helped with a more consistent hover.
I raised the ATTI gains to match what others had and didn't notice anything bad.
I did reset them back to default once and the hover issue returned. (dropping)
It's flying well with these settings.

Geo

Geoelectro said:
I added the RP and changed my gain settings after reading a thread about gains for the Vision +
Basic Pitch 125 - Roll 125 - Yaw 120 - Vertical 140.

The Vertical gain helped with a more consistent hover.
I raised the ATTI gains to match what others had and didn't notice anything bad.
I did reset them back to default once and the hover issue returned. (dropping)
It's flying well with these settings.

Geo

Thank you Geo....I'll try those settings.....especially the hover as mine tends to drop very slowly when no throttle change is applied.

Hi guys, I need some help here with my gain settings. After I upgraded to the latest firmware, my P2V started to display signs of vibration during flight. The thing would fly normally, and then suddenly the craft would be shaking (quite violently). You can see the camera unit bouncing around from the ground. It would stop after 10 - 15 seconds, only to return whenever it feels like it. Even in a steady hover, it will come and go so it's unlikely due t aggressive flying.

I can't remember what my oringal gains settings was, and I've never touched them so I assume they are on factory stock. Following the upgrade, the default settings are as follows:

Basic Pitch 165 - Roll 165 - Yaw 165 - Vertical 165

I've tried changing the basic pitch settings to 120%, and then 110% but the issue is still present. Any help would b appreciated.

MonsieurAnon said:
imelda; what camera unit are you using?

120/120 is the stock value for a P2V, and I find that I need to use 90/90 for my 390g Samsung NX 1100.
I'm using the stock camera that came with my vision. The shaking (you guys call it oscillation right?) looks like the sort you'll get if you quickly wiggle the cyclic stick around slightly.

Here's list of DJI stock gains:

Phantom 125/125/100/100 125/125

Phantom II 120/120/120/200 220/220

Phantom Vision 120/120/120/120 200/200

Phantom FC40 125/125/100/100 125/125

Phantom Vision+ 120/120/120/120 200/200

These are the #'s I work with when doing repairs.

PhantomKid,

I've prototyped a series of camera mounts for my Phantom 2 Vision, that are quite non-standard. What I'm discovering is that weight is not the biggest factor. The centre of gravity and effective dampening is most important, as these tend to feed back into oscillation. If the gimbal you purchase is well constructed and has the correct dampening balls you might even be able to go higher. If not, you may need to go as low as 80/80/150/200 200/200.

imelda1804 said:
Ok finally managed to capture a video of my P2V doing the jingle.

I've tried all gain settings from 90% all the way to 170%, but the problem still persist. Is this even a gain issue or is it something deeper? I only started getting this after I upgraded to the latest firmware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yHX_tZsNFU&feature=youtu.be

Any help would be appreciated. Getting desperate.

I watched your video and indeed there is some "jingling".....the FC200 is bouncing about quite a bit. First of all, have you balanced your props? I did mine and although they were close to balanced out of the box, they nonetheless were slightly off and I found my flights smoother after balancing.

Also, your video shows one green and three yellow lights, so I believe that means GPS mode is on. Initially I get some wandering a few feet when I take my P2V into the air in GPS mode, but after a minute or two, it settles down nicely. I can only assume the satellites have locked in better even though at take off I usually have 8+ satellites. I have never had your "jingle" and am running V2.0 of the software, not V3.0 because I heard some poor feedback about it......not the restriction on flight areas, but rather less steadiness when flying. If you are running V3.0, you can downlevel the software as mentioned in other areas of PhantomPilots.com.

I watched your video and indeed there is some "jingling".....the FC200 is bouncing about quite a bit. First of all, have you balanced your props? I did mine and although they were close to balanced out of the box, they nonetheless were slightly off and I found my flights smoother after balancing.

Also, your video shows one green and three yellow lights, so I believe that means GPS mode is on. Initially I get some wandering a few feet when I take my P2V into the air in GPS mode, but after a minute or two, it settles down nicely. I can only assume the satellites have locked in better even though at take off I usually have 8+ satellites. I have never had your "jingle" and am running V2.0 of the software, not V3.0 because I heard some poor feedback about it......not the restriction on flight areas, but rather less steadiness when flying. If you are running V3.0, you can downlevel the software as mentioned in other areas of PhantomPilots.com.
I did the video in an enclosed area so there isn't full GPS coverage. But this occurs even when I'm out in the field, and when I have full GPS lock.

The 'jingling' doesn't happen all the time. It comes for 10-15 seconds, then disappears, only to return as an when it likes. I've gone full flights where nothing happens, and I have flights when it comes and goes every few minutes.

This might sound noob, but how do you balance the props?

imelda, I don't think your props are the issue. They would be if this was constant, but what I think I was seeing was your camera servo turning rapidly. Have you ever disassembled your FC200? If so, how confident are you that you put it back together correctly? If not, have you tried flying with the motor disconnected, and perhaps some duct tape holding the camera steady? That could confirm whether or not the vibrations begin with the camera.

MonsieurAnon said:
imelda, I don't think your props are the issue. They would be if this was constant, but what I think I was seeing was your camera servo turning rapidly. Have you ever disassembled your FC200? If so, how confident are you that you put it back together correctly? If not, have you tried flying with the motor disconnected, and perhaps some duct tape holding the camera steady? That could confirm whether or not the vibrations begin with the camera.
Actually it's not really the servo that's moving. From the video it really isn't clear, but the entire platform is jingling around. Very small movement, sort of like the phantom is trying to keep correcting itself. It's just that the movement is most clearly visible at the camera.

I'll try another test flight with the camera unplugged just to confirm this.

I've set gains up, down and even sideways (well not sideways).

My P2 is doing exactly the same as in imelda1804's video. It was all fine before the latest update.

I have since gone back to v1.08 and it's still the same !!

I think it's the last main board update which remained as the new version and not the v3.04 even.

imelda1804 said:

I did the video in an enclosed area so there isn't full GPS coverage. But this occurs even when I'm out in the field, and when I have full GPS lock.

The 'jingling' doesn't happen all the time. It comes for 10-15 seconds, then disappears, only to return as an when it likes. I've gone full flights where nothing happens, and I have flights when it comes and goes every few minutes.

This might sound noob, but how do you balance the props?

I use the Du Bro prop balancer which is covered in this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5PgZ-UePZo
However, because the Phantom props are threaded, I ordered the following rod to assist with balancing..... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2048016

Even if this is not the cause of your jingle, it is still a good idea to have balanced props.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20