Let's Talk About Gains

AmosMoses said:
Here are my stock gain settings after the 2.0 update. Haven't had a need to make any adjustments since it flys and hovers nicely. Even with 15mph winds.
Sorry for the bad pic.
If you want to make a screen dump of the Assistant window just press the (Left)Alt+PrintScreen keys combo on your keyboard. Then open some basic Image viewer/editor (I use Irfanview) and paste the screendump that has just been copied to the clipboard into that editor and save it.

You don't need to photograph your monitor.

AmosMoses said:
Here are my stock gain settings after the 2.0 update. Haven't had a need to make any adjustments since it flys and hovers nicely. Even with 15mph winds.
Sorry for the bad pic.
asy8ahyp.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Your settings look the same as xgeek's save for the basic vertical gain is 120% vs 200%. I wonder what accounts for the discrepancy. Neither of you have changed your gain settings. Both of you are running 2.0 firmware and both of you have a Phantom 2 Vision. 120% vs 200% is not insignificant. I hope we can get to the bottom of this.

Big Ben said:
AmosMoses said:
Sorry for the bad pic.
If you want to make a screen dump of the Assistant window just press the (Left)Alt+PrintScreen keys combo on your keyboard. Then open some basic Image viewer/editor (I use Irfanview) and paste the screendump that has just been copied to the clipboard into that editor and save it.

You don't need to photograph your monitor.
Okay, thanks. Just snapped a quick pic with my phone to post with tapatalk. My daughter needed the laptop.

SlackerATX said:
AmosMoses said:
Sorry for the bad pic.
asy8ahyp.jpg

Your settings look the same as xgeek's save for the basic vertical gain is 120% vs 200%. I wonder what accounts for the discrepancy. Neither of you have changed your gain settings. Both of you are running 2.0 firmware and both of you have a Phantom 2 Vision. 120% vs 200% is not insignificant. I hope we can get to the bottom of this.

I have a P2Z not vision. Maybe more vertical gain from factory for the extra weight of the gimbal?

Is this more of a individual unit to individual unit type of thing or seems like there's a generally good range value to use?

I flew with the stock value and don't seem to have issue. Flew again today with basic gain increased by 20% and don't see any issue.

So I guess I'll keep turning up the basic gain until I see the P2V wobble then? I think I'll bring my laptop to the field so I can do a field adjustment.

yawnalot29 said:
Is this more of a individual unit to individual unit type of thing or seems like there's a generally good range value to use?

I flew with the stock value and don't seem to have issue. Flew again today with basic gain increased by 20% and don't see any issue.

So I guess I'll keep turning up the basic gain until I see the P2V wobble then? I think I'll bring my laptop to the field so I can do a field adjustment.

I think you can optimize your gains for your specific phantom, but those that have moded will see the greatest improvement. If you've moded anything that increased weight and/or weight distribution you should adjust the gains just to get the flying characteristics back to where they were from the factory.

A good example is the P2Z with the larger two axis gimbal ships with a 200% vertical gain vs the P2V with a lighter one axis "gimbal" ships with 120%. The implication here is the heaver gimbal needs more power available to maintain altitude.

SlackerATX said:
I think you can optimize your gains for your specific phantom, but those that have moded will see the greatest improvement. If you've moded anything that increased weight and/or weight distribution you should adjust the gains just to get the flying characteristics back to where they were from the factory.

A good example is the P2Z with the larger two axis gimbal ships with a 200% vertical gain vs the P2V with a lighter one axis "gimbal" ships with 120%. The implication here is the heaver gimbal needs more power available to maintain altitude.

Hmmm... Tossing in a wrench - If gains are set higher than they need to be, 200 v 120, will the p2V burn through the battery quicker?

These are the settings that I have after some trials with a laptop at the field yesterday. The settings seems to work ok, but the Phantom still drifts a bit. It looked to me like the P2V was drifting into the wind. So my guess is that it's trying to stay in position by pushing against the wind and causing it to over compensate?

I have a stock P2V with 0 modification (except for Fimware upgrade).

Attachments

• Gain.jpg
    Gain.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 842
  • Versions.jpg
    Versions.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 769
Can anyone help me with the gains on a fc40 I bought a ebay gimbal and have 8045 cf props should I a just the gains and witch way? Should I start with 135 135 125 145 standaard is 125 125 100 100
The gimbal weights 150 gram and I wil use the stock fc40 cam.

Many thanks from Holland. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

DJI PHANTOM FC40, HUBSAN X4 V2, CARSON RAPTOR 1:8 NITRO

I hope this isn't a stupid question, it's a no brainer that if you add weight then then I'm guessing you need to adjust the gains, I am gonna guess this is more weight specific rather that shape or size of your addition?
So new skids or a gimble , strobes whatever , is it all down to weight or drag to achieve the optimum efficiency , which if optimised should give you better flight times?

Just for grins I set my gains like the OP suggested he did on my stock P2V. My first video revealed a very twitchy picture. From the ground it looked like it was fine but the video showed a lot of roll twitch. I have reset it back and will make a new test soon.

Geo

OK. With gains reset to default values (after previously tweaking them) my Phantom is flying like new again. Locking in position well and piro's are tight again. Smooth video with little to no twitching.

BTW this phantom was in a lake a couple of weeks ago for 30 minutes. Lost the battery and camera which have been replaced. I can't believe it flying so well after all that!

Geo

ResevorDG said:
Very good stuff.

So if I increase my gains the phantom will be more more stable, and if raise my gains my phantom will be be more responsive? Is this correct?

Not exactly - the first 4 gain #s are how the craft reacts to conditions - wind, etc. The atti gains (bottom #s) are how it reacts to stick input - try this -> http://www.dji.com/info/spotlight/what- ... -gain-mean (about middle of page is NAZA explanation)

I have to say that after giving up on 3.0 firmware and playing with gains settings with 2.0 and 1.08 I'm convinced firmware matters a lot. The value of these numbers seems to mean something different with each firmware version. Ive gone back to 1.08 and the default works just was well as modified gain setting in 2.0 and 3.0. DJI is ******* with the kool-aid.

I'm currently developing a universal camera mount for my Phantom 2 Vision, and I believe I've hit the ceiling for gain increases.

The payload & drone takes me slightly above 1400gr and there seems to be some induced vibration from the dampeners ... my mount uses 6, in a sitting (rather than hanging) configuration. The symptom I'm seeing appears to be oscillation in roll, somewhat consistent rolling (and some pitching). With more tests I will be able to explain my results and issues better but so far:

Pitch\roll\yaw\vertical basic gains have been set at the stock 120%, 140% and 110%.

My best results were at 110%. My assumption is that as the gains slow down, they compound less, resulting in less counter-adjustment. Anyone with a TOW (and low centre of gravity) experiencing the same thing / have the same conclusions?

My P2Z H33D have a terrible oscillation with either of the default and from factory settings. I ended up with
Basic gain 90,90,130,150
Attitude gain 100 100
Im using the Black 50 rigidity.
Maybe it was too low for pitch and roll basic gains.

But as expected it doesnt react that fast with the wind. If I go 110 on pitch and roll it would oscillate again. Adding more gain in Yaw and Vertical dont show any oscillation.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj