Let's see your IRC 600mw Installs please

MrC

Reaction score
Phantom 2. I'm probably going to install underneath with antenna straight down. Just wanted to see this and other installs of this transmitter.

Have you left the shrink wrap on? Which way up? What have you used to attach it - velcro, 3m tape, 3m foam? Which ones?

Iosd mini will be inside the shell.

Anyone with horizon nimrod antenna on it?

Thanks for any help.

here's mine, also got a Flytrex Core 2 underneath. Wrap is stick on & used foam tape (sure it was supplied). Wish it was further back so i could fit my rv-16 under there as well

IMG_2118_zpsdcabbbe5.jpg

MrC said:
Phantom 2. I'm probably going to install underneath with antenna straight down. Just wanted to see this and other installs of this transmitter.

Have you left the shrink wrap on? Which way up? What have you used to attach it - velcro, 3m tape, 3m foam? Which ones?

Iosd mini will be inside the shell.

Anyone with horizon nimrod antenna on it?

Thanks for any help.
I have the same gear. I followed a video on YT. Just search for it. I have the Nimrod set of 3

This needs a tidy up, as I have only just added it...

but it is an Immersion RC in a tic-tac box, fastened with some 3M dual lock velcro and a tie-wrap to the rear leg. vTx is still in its shrink wrap, I have drilled some holes for heat release in the tic-tac box.

One other thing, about the IOSD mini. There is a nice YouTube video which shows how to solder the vTX/IOSD mini to the P2, and it fits the IOSD mini at the front of the craft. There is a nice space for it there just in front of the battery. I was all set to solder, but at point of order there was a plug and play cable on offer so I got that. When I came to fit it, there is no way the cable run from the IOSD mini will reach the vTX if it is positioned at the front. In the end I 3M dual locked the IOSD mini on the main board next to the CAN bus socket which I moved from the left hand leg.

Attachments

• FPV1.jpg
    FPV1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 789
  • FPV2.jpg
    FPV2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 840
I could show you my setup, but the video tx and IOSD mini is inside the phantom :)

Thanks chaps, tictac box, interesting :D

I have a plug and play cable too so will have to see how far it will reach. I can extend if necessary.

Any more people with it mounted at the rear facing the rear?

Mines on an extension out to the side with bottom of the antenna pointing down level with the bottom of the skid - no blind spots on a turn.

Noël said:
I could show you my setup, but the video tx and IOSD mini is inside the phantom :)

Very interested to see how your install looks. Even if its only photos of the outside! :D

Here is my set up, I am a big fan of having a very clean look and feel, as well as I think keeping it looking clean loos a bit more professional then having stuff taped and Velcro to the outside., gets plenty of cooling with the vent there. have new antenna's getting in tomorrow.

10885271_769286763106462_7170378123943662695_n.jpg
10690199_769286759773129_8569077381703121230_n.jpg

Travel_adam said:
Here is my set up, I am a big fan of having a very clean look and feel, as well as I think keeping it looking clean loos a bit more professional then having stuff taped and Velcro to the outside., gets plenty of cooling with the vent there. have new antenna's getting in tomorrow.

10885271_769286763106462_7170378123943662695_n.jpg
10690199_769286759773129_8569077381703121230_n.jpg

The great thing about that set up, is that you would have to try VERY hard to turn your vTX on without an antenna attached :)

Pleased to hear you are getting plenty of cooling, although the heatsinks will be facing the battery, not the vent ? Does this pose any risk for the Lipo I wonder because the vTX can get very hot ?

Nicely done anyway.

How did you attach the vTX to the craft? Velcro ?

Also curious how you created or where you bought the "extension" to relocate where the antenna mounts to the leg hole. I like the install overall!

well, it does not touch the battery, as there is almost a inch between the TX and the battery, I did that so if i needed to get in and change frequency i can just pull the top off real fast and change it out. my tx does not get very warm at all, most likely because it is 15 degrees here and there seems to always be more then enough air circulation between the top vent and the bottom vent with the rotor pushing right through it.
as far as attaching it it just sits in there very nicely no velcro, the way that the P2 was designed it fits snugly right in there with the extension wiring heavy enough it holds it in place so it does not move. I was going to put a zip tie on it but i can't move it if i push on it. I would avoid velcro in its location as that would limit airflow and there is not a flat spot on the back side to hit it is kid of suspended, which also helps with cooling. I have already picked up a small fan to install on the vent to pull air in if it gets to warm during the summer time.

I got the 10cm SMA Male to SMA Female RG316 Extension Cable from GetFPV when I ordered the TX. I would recommend a good set of antennas as I can just get 300m out of this set up before i loose video. Mine come in tomorrow so i will see if i can get some more distance out of it.

I forgot, I also have the Mini Iosd in there also, the wiring for that needs to come from DJI short, or so we can plug it right into the cam port, which now also lives inside. there is a good amount of coiled wire that i would like to get rid of if i had the chance.

Travel_adam said:
well, it does not touch the battery, as there is almost a inch between the TX and the battery, I did that so if i needed to get in and change frequency i can just pull the top off real fast and change it out. my tx does not get very warm at all, most likely because it is 15 degrees here and there seems to always be more then enough air circulation between the top vent and the bottom vent with the rotor pushing right through it.
Thanks for posting very interesting, and a neat job.

The only thing which dissuades me from doing this sort of thing, is that the vTX *does* get very hot when it is turned on sitting on the bench (e.g. doing updates etc). I read in another forum that once you can smell the transparent heatshrink it is time to turn it off. I cant help thinking it would get hotter quicker when on the bench if mounted internally.

I am still tempted though ;)

last week i had a video issue from the go pro not sending, end up being a bad ribbon cable that plugs into the camera, but i would work on it of half hour to forty five minutes at a time powered up on my desk, my TX got warm to the touch, never got hot, and definitely never got anywhere near hot enough to melt plastic. you could always add a inline toggle switch to the power wires and toggle it on and off if needed. it would only be a small drill hole in the hull of the craft.

Adam,

I like that set up! I was looking for a way to mount the Tx inside. I broke a Tx antenna off on a rough landing when the antenna came into contact with an obstacle. I think mounting it like this could allow me to add some silicone to the base of the antenna which would help support any potential trauma to the tx board. Very nice!

How are people storing their antennas? I want to put my screen back in the case when i'm done flying so need to remove them. I was thinking something along the lines of a plastic tube with a bit of foam in top and bottom..
I have a horizon Skew planar and black hawk micro.

Any ideas on antenna storage? Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31