Let's see your fvp set up on the phantom 2

Reaction score
Let's see your fvp set up on the phantom 2 ???
I'm about to get a the new phantom 2 just out & this is what I'm planning to use
600mw immersion vtx
Dji mini osd
& plug & play cable that first person view uk are making up
To run off my fat shark dominator goggles

Just wondered if anyone has done this yet & have any pics of where everything is fitted

Many thanks lui

So far I have the phantom vision & the phantom v1.1.1 in my collection

Cheers for all you thoughts & what you have done

I'm really hoping they might soon come out with some sort of fpv with iosd built in system. It would make sense. You've got a craft/gimbal/iosd from dji. Why not just make a complete system that's all dji and in turn can be tweaked from the same assistant software. Plus it would also mean they would make a mount just for the phantom for the fpv/iosd that would make for a clean setup. The demand is there. The product is there. Just a matter of getting everything to come together.

Ksc said:
I'm really hoping they might soon come out with some sort of fpv with iosd built in system. It would make sense. You've got a craft/gimbal/iosd from dji. Why not just make a complete system that's all dji and in turn can be tweaked from the same assistant software. Plus it would also mean they would make a mount just for the phantom for the fpv/iosd that would make for a clean setup. The demand is there. The product is there. Just a matter of getting everything to come together.

To right why not make a phantom all in one package my guessing next one there list

Ksc said:

That my friend would be called the Phantom 2 Vision :p

Vision lacks the gimbal. Plus the image quality on videos looks like it was taken from a kodak pocket camera.

Ksc said:
Vision lacks the gimbal. Plus the image quality on videos looks like it was taken from a kodak pocket camera.

True the Vision comes with a 1 axis gimbal that is not a brushless motor. Though you clearly have no idea of the video and picture quality the Phantom 2 Vision Camera produces. Having shot many videos in different areas and lighting conditions, and comparing that footage to footage i've seen of GoPro Hero and Hero 3 Black Cameras, as well as the input I've heard from other owners of both camera system. I can honestly say that the Phantom 2 Vision camera in daylight conditions is easily comparable to GoPro Hero 3 Black camera footage. Night time footage on the other hand is a different story. The GoPro has better low light and less noise and slightly better sharpness in the nighttime footage vs the Vision camera, but daytime footage is very close in overall quality and the colors to me look better on the Phantom 2 Vision camera.

And one last thing. A couple of different company's now have produced a 2 axis brushless motor gimbal for the Phantom 2 Vision Though I must admit that I kind of prefer the vision as it is not being super level and stabilized at all times. It makes you feel more as if you're actually up there in a plane and gives more of a thrill to watch and some anxiety factor if it becomes shaky or anything. Although from a professional movie making or videography stand point I can see how a 2 axis brushless gimbal would be the preferred choice. But if you're a professional movie maker you'd probably want a more capable camera platform than a GoPro.

BenDrone...do you have any names or links for the gimbals for the P2V? And...what sort of surgery would it take to add it to the P2V? I do mostly videos / stills from my bird, so the ability to move sideways with the camera staying level would be big help...

Also...does this gimbal require a GoPro camera or can it use the current DJI camera that is stock on the P2V?

Topeeka said:
BenDrone...do you have any names or links for the gimbals for the P2V? And...what sort of surgery would it take to add it to the P2V? I do mostly videos / stills from my bird, so the ability to move sideways with the camera staying level would be big help...

Also...does this gimbal require a GoPro camera or can it use the current DJI camera that is stock on the P2V?

The two gimbals for the Phantom 2 Vision use the stock Phantom 2 Vision camera, completely replacing the bracket and motor. Though still retaining the in app camera tilt function. My preferred one of the two I've seen will possibly be in the $300 - $400 price range and looks very good. Here are links to both.

The company is called Rotorpixel. This is my preferred and cheaper of the two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtE2FZc9_A

And here's the one by Drone Expert which is a bit over priced and I don't like the mounting design as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuoFxch4QSk

BenDronePilot said:
Ksc said:
Though you clearly have no idea of the video and picture quality the Phantom 2 Vision Camera produces.

if I didn't own a vision, I'd say that statement is correct. if you are a fan of the vision, I'm happy for you.

BenDrone....thanks for the additional info.. I think the first company to come to market with a "Plug and Play" gimbal conversion kit will find a good market. Ideally it would have interchangeable mounts for different cameras and could be easily removed to return the P2V to stock configuration if desired.

Ksc said:
BenDronePilot said:
Ksc said:
Though you clearly have no idea of the video and picture quality the Phantom 2 Vision Camera produces.

if I didn't own a vision, I'd say that statement is correct. if you are a fan of the vision, I'm happy for you.

If you do own a Phantom 2 Vision then you're clearly a fan yourself :p and just trying to correct your statement regarding the video quality as their isn't a night and day difference between the day time video quality of the two cameras. Yes there's a difference but it's not like the difference of going from a point and shoot camera to a DSLR, it's more like comparing one point and shoot to another slightly better point and shoot. And I do make emphasis on the word "slightly" better. At least from all of the footage I've seen from both.

Topeeka said:
BenDrone....thanks for the additional info.. I think the first company to come to market with a "Plug and Play" gimbal conversion kit will find a good market. Ideally it would have interchangeable mounts for different cameras and could be easily removed to return the P2V to stock configuration if desired.

Yeah I totally agree. It would be nice to have the option of mounting any camera so If I wanted to stay with the Vision setup I can, or If I temporarily wanted to use something like a Sony Action Cam or a GoPro I can easily do that too on the same Gimbal just by changing a quick release interchangeable bracket. Now the ultimate thing to me would be to be able to use the Zenmuse Gimbal with the Vision 2 camera, and be able to easily interchange between that and GoPro if I wanted.

BenDronePilot, I agree with you 100%. I am not a professional photographer. I just play around with cameras and think that the quality of the Vision camera is great. In fact, I am now at the crossroads. I ordered a Phantom 2, but starting to wonder what am I getting. I like the setup and extended range of 2.4. However, I don't need a better camera (than the Vision) or a two axis gimbal. In fact, to bring it up to Vision capabilities, it is going to cost me like $400+ plus the camera.

I am seriously thinking if this is the way to go for a second unit or whether I should consider one of the other models.

I'm just guessing here but, I think the reason for the Vision having only a single axis gimbal on the pitch axis has a lot to do with the FPV ability. Trying to fly FPV with a camera gimbal that stays level all the time is problematic in that the user can't really sense the aircraft attitude. By having no roll axis a safer flight is possible. I would prefer the ability to have a roll axis with the ability to lock it in a "roll stowed" position for fpv flight and an active position select to do video work. for good video you need to be more stable and slow is good.

I have a P2 on the way with the gimbal and plan to do the FPV with a separate camera. Little FPV cameras weight almost nothing. Just need to figure out how to switch cameras in order to frame shots which I don't think would be a major problem.

Sidewinder said:
I'm just guessing here but, I think the reason for the Vision having only a single axis gimbal on the pitch axis has a lot to do with the FPV ability. Trying to fly FPV with a camera gimbal that stays level all the time is problematic in that the user can't really sense the aircraft attitude. By having no roll axis a safer flight is possible. I would prefer the ability to have a roll axis with the ability to lock it in a "roll stowed" position for fpv flight and an active position select to do video work. for good video you need to be more stable and slow is good.

I have a P2 on the way with the gimbal and plan to do the FPV with a separate camera. Little FPV cameras weight almost nothing. Just need to figure out how to switch cameras in order to frame shots which I don't think would be a major problem.

I may eventually do that too. Get a P2 with the Zenmuse for stabalized video and so forth and the P2V for the FPV. Also their is a simple solution to the question you pose. One example of an FPV system you can use with the Phantom 2 is Fatshark goggles. It also includes a camera that you can use for the FPV OR attach the video feed to the GoPro instead. Tho the fatshark cam will only give you a limited ability to frame shots as it will always be pointing forward and not in the direction of the gimbal though at least you'd have an idea. Alternatively you could maybe attach and detach the power cable to the Zenmuse gimbal whenever you wanted no movement in the system.

You could also use the iOSD MK 2 which gives you the ability to switch between two cameras remotely. It has Video 1 and 2 inputs.

BenDronePilot said:
Though you clearly have no idea of the video and picture quality the Phantom 2 Vision Camera produces. Having shot many videos in different areas and lighting conditions, and comparing that footage to footage i've seen of GoPro Hero and Hero 3 Black Cameras, as well as the input I've heard from other owners of both camera system. I can honestly say that the Phantom 2 Vision camera in daylight conditions is easily comparable to GoPro Hero 3 Black camera footage.

I owned the Vision for a week before the P2 came out and I was able to shoot some video around my house. I ended up returning/trading-in my Vision for the P2 and am now flying the P2/Zenmuse/Hero3Black. I have compared the videos of the two with similar daytime (light) conditions and IMO the GoPro Video is noticeably superior to the Vision. However, IMO the Vision takes slightly better stills.

just my 2 cents

PitStop said:
BenDronePilot said:
Though you clearly have no idea of the video and picture quality the Phantom 2 Vision Camera produces. Having shot many videos in different areas and lighting conditions, and comparing that footage to footage i've seen of GoPro Hero and Hero 3 Black Cameras, as well as the input I've heard from other owners of both camera system. I can honestly say that the Phantom 2 Vision camera in daylight conditions is easily comparable to GoPro Hero 3 Black camera footage.

I owned the Vision for a week before the P2 came out and I was able to shoot some video around my house. I ended up returning/trading-in my Vision for the P2 and am now flying the P2/Zenmuse/Hero3Black. I have compared the videos of the two with similar daytime (light) conditions and IMO the GoPro Video is noticeably superior to the Vision. However, IMO the Vision takes slightly better stills.

just my 2 cents

I shoot video for a living and I too found the Vision footage lacking. The GoPro Hero 3 black specifically, when shot in ProTune LOG mode and then color corrected and graded offers significantly more dynamic range and image detail. I wouldn't say the Hero 3 black is great in low light by any means, but it's usable.

I can't speak for stills but the Hero 3 Black looked great in bright light. It's no 5D mark III but it's nice for the view.

Can you control the GoPro camera (start/stop) video and single pictures like in the Vision?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen