Let's see some videos!

neoneo said:
Big Chips said:
i have distance! 4100 feet yesterday and then a few hours ago busted out 4300 feet! both vids below

4100ft

I uploaded the complete vid and it is long...but I reach the 4100 and loose fpv at 7.25 and the bird spins and comes home. This is over some really dense forest...I was nervous...

when the bird turns around you really get a sense of how far out this **** thing was....I was at 730 ish feet to get it to go this far...

I also removed the fish eye on the vid also

link below

http://youtu.be/jtvby_hcnfI

4300ft

here is the 4300ft vid... now this is what i am talking bout.....we have a very overcast evening and the footage shows it...link below....this time I go into the field...I dont think i can go farther in stock config in my area...

http://youtu.be/MpHkCeZHhX0

you went 4100 then 4300 feet out on a stock p2v+?

i just used Google Distance Measurement Tool and realized that i went much farther than what i thought...4967 feet!

My Pv2+ is stock out of the box...I just have it in FE Mode..simple unreal the power of this tool

Attachments

• phantom record small.jpg
    phantom record small.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 386
http://youtu.be/tg7KJAw27YE

EDIT : Man, Youtube add so much glitches and artifacts on the video... Stupid codec issues... >_< The original file was in PHOTO-JPEG and I forgot Youtube doesn't like it...

My very first post, so first a Greetings to all on the forum and thanks for the help you all silently provided me when I was hesitating, fearing, envying and waiting for my own P2V+
It finally arrived, though the wait hasn't been as long as most of you in the USA since i'm in Shanghai and Shenzhen isn't that far.

I thought I'd post this here to give my own contribution to the forum. This is simply another personal experience and a quick edit of the videos I took during my first flight, as well as a few basic guides and directions for post-production.

I hopefully will get more as soon as the weather clears up a bit, but in Shanghai this is never a sure thing. Luckily enough, i'm heading back home to my island of Tahiti in just a few months, i.e. the drone in my bags before heading out.

I work as an independent motion designer / video maker, mainly interested in music videos and creative nonsense, but I do a lot of corporate shenanigans as well, in order to eat something else than instant noodles. The DJI P2V+ did tickle my interest.

This is my very first flight and attempt to understand the settings of the camera and, mainly, how to fly the drone.

Obviously, this shows just how easy it is. Though i've practiced before with some toy copters and other Hubsan +100Rmb toys, this is even easier than any of those lighter versions, the GPS being a tremendous help. Though, in Shanghai, it's hard to find a place far from building or lines or wifi or any other interferences to lock enough satellites...

The controls react with absolutely no latency, even on such a disgusting windy cloudy post-dirty-rain colorless miasma of a day...
The drone is fast enough to surprise you if you're not careful but from what i've seen, it does what it's supposed to when it's supposed to. Including Return To Home etc...

The gimbal is impressive. Never owned one before, though I use a Glidecam system with my Canon 5DII, but this is stable. Period.

As for the video itself...

The camera is indeed inferior to the higher end GoPro, but it's about the same as my GoPro2 and most likely entry level GoPro 3, so makes no difference to me. I need to sort out the settings and do different tests to see what's the best option for post production.

+ I used :

- 1080p/30fps
- Cloudy White Balance (Shanghai default mode)
- 100 ISO
- 60Hz

These are just for information. In no way the BEST settings so far.

+ It NEEDS to be color corrected and adjusted. After Effects is your friend.

+ I did a lot of basic desaturation using the traditional cocktail of Tint, Curves and Hue/Saturation.

+ I've noticed some of the color shifting some mentioned online, especially there amongst the trees. It seems the light changes, even by simply going into a shadowy area, affect the lens more than we'd like to. But then again, nothing some post production can't play around, or you can simply cut off the switching part during your edit.

+ I used the CC Lens applies to an adjustment layer to correct the fish-eye effect as I was too lazy to export the whole video as a picture sequence, import them in Lightroom to use the Adobe correction preset provided by DJI, export the **** sequence again and reimport it...
I will probably try that later though, for the sake of experimentation.

+ There is NO STABILIZATION used at all. And I had to do a short edit, so didn't leave 2 minutes of fixed angle but this is really impressive. The gimbal works perfectly.

+ I don't mourn the lack of microphone since I would take the sound away anyway for music video purposes. Or throw in a voice over telling a well written story and a bit of sound-design and voila !

Finally, for those who hesitate between the Vision model or a GoPro system... Here is a short version of my decision making :

Well, had I own a fancy GoPro 3 BE++++, I would have most likely used it and experiment my own DIY adventure. But not having that model of GoPro as well as being pretty much a newbie when it comes to RC hobby and drone and copters and all those sort of things, I consider the all-included OTB experience provided by the P2V+ to be a pretty good alternative on my side.
I have built several hackintoshes and can be geeky in more than one trade, but i'm lazy to learn the world of RC, so shut up and take my money ! It's my choice, make yours.

Also, I don't think the difference is that gigantic between the two and only those picky enough to complain about 1080p over 1080i will really care.
Like in the console system world, the argument between 720p or 1080p version depending on Xbox or Playstation... Seriously ?
Most people won't know the difference anyway, unless told. Yet, experienced eyes will see the defaults, but considering most people will watch video on their little screens, sometimes in screener quality, your nice 2k or 4k video will still be down streamed. And if ever you live in China, where internet is leashed, be happy if you can watch a 360p video without spending the day waiting.

Anyway, to sum up, I don't think the creativity is allowed by one camera more than the other. As usual, it's what you do with it.

That said, later on I hope to get a bigger model and attach my Canon 5DII under it - or a BlackMagic, if I managed to sell a kidney by then - and then the quality will be waaaaaay better, with proper lens and all, but that's for another time.

CONCLUSION :

Man... This bird is enjoyable to fly... :)

Bless !

photomikey said:
[vimeo]93047444[/vimeo]

Hi photomikey, nice capture of the marina.

Just caught my eye that your viddy looks bouncy (not jello/rolling shutter, but bouncy)....is the gimbal itself (i.e. everything below the rubber dampers) bouncing during flight? I'm asking because I had the same problem with the Vision and Rotorpixel gimbal. I found the fix was to tighten the thumbscrews on that gimbal (i.e. stiffen the rubber dampers to be less bouncy). see http://vimeo.com/91132582

It's strange to see the same bounciness with a vision+. You can do a quick check by flying the vision+ about 9 feet off the ground and observe the gimbal frame to see if theres any vibration/bounciness

Another quick edit of some footage from the Vision+. This was my first attempt at getting some "ambient" sound effects in. Fish eye, colour balancing and general editing done in FCP.

[vimeo]93151843[/vimeo]

Flighttime said:
Another quick edit of some footage from the Vision+. This was my first attempt at getting some "ambient" sound effects in. Fish eye, colour balancing and general editing done in FCP.

[vimeo]93151843[/vimeo]

Is it just me or does it take FOREVER to export the video from FCP. Its almost to the point that its not even worth the time it takes to edit an export the video.

same with photoshop cc.

At this rate I'll never catch up with editing at the rate I get new video's. I can maybe edit one per afternoon, yet record 3 video's per afternoon with my 3 phantom batteries.

I got a Sister Hazle concert video I'll be posting later today that I took with my Vision+. There are some shots from the front with the crowd and I also got a shot from behind the stage to see what it looks like being on stage looking at the crowd.

Didjelirium said:
http://youtu.be/tg7KJAw27YE

EDIT : Man, Youtube add so much glitches and artifacts on the video... Stupid codec issues... >_< The original file was in PHOTO-JPEG and I forgot Youtube doesn't like it...

My very first post, so first a Greetings to all on the forum and thanks for the help you all silently provided me when I was hesitating, fearing, envying and waiting for my own P2V+

Didjelirium: Nice job on this first post. The content is snappy and entertaining. And thanks for the technical advice. It sounds like you'll be taking full advantage of what is possible with this quadcopter. I'll be learning the flying and the editing at the same time. But learning new tricks keeps the old dogs young.

After having my Phantom sit in New Zealand Customs for 10 days I've finally managed to get it out and fly it around Grey Lynn park, in Auckland, New Zealand.

Here is my first flight and video from the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus.
https://vimeo.com/93314370

Things I learnt...
* Wet grass can leave dew on the camera lens (bottom right hand corner mainly)
* It is a lot quieter than I expected; I thought I'd had neighbours shouting at me immediately after starting the engines.
* It's very easy to fly. I've never flown anything previously and by following the 'Earn Your Stripes' manual I was easily able to manoeuvre it where I wanted to.
* There is a huge temptation to fly high and\or fast. I managed to resist most of that but it does respond incredibly quick if you push things. I see the scope for things to go wrong very quickly if one were to go too fast\high too soon.
* My gimbal appears to have horizon adjustment issues in some of the shots but appears level in others. I may try readjusting.

Cheers, Tim

Here is my contribution to this thread
I am by no means a video editor and would be glad to take some tips and hints from you guys
I cut and did everything from the iPad mini with free apps
Here is the compressed youtube link man they make it look rough compare to the original
Is Vimeo that much better?
Also why does the video not upload in 1080 only 720 max and it doesn't stay on that setting it keeps going to 360p?
http://youtu.be/JKATqmD8lX4

PixelNinja said:
Wow!

What an original and unique music selection!

(What was the bitrate that you uploaded to Youtube? Low bitrate is the usual culprit when folks complain about what Youtube "has done" to their videos)

Do I smell irony in that initial comment Sir Pixel of the Ninja way ? :p

Thanks for the latter advice though, I will keep that in mind for later use of Youtube, it can come in handy.

Bless !

I like the song and it was my first clips so they ended up together
I don't really care if everyone and their mother used the song. the first song I had it wouldn't let me post the video due to copyright
And I know I've heard this song on videos.
I'm happy I was able to add music at all and cut clips together
Any good suggestions on noncopyrighted songs to add to videos ?
How would I know what bitrate it was uploaded with ?

mr_3_0_5 said:
I like the song and it was my first clips so they ended up together
I don't really care if everyone and their mother used the song. the first song I had it wouldn't let me post the video due to copyright
And I know I've heard this song on videos.
I'm happy I was able to add music at all and cut clips together
Any good suggestions on noncopyrighted songs to add to videos ?
How would I know what bitrate it was uploaded with ?

No worries sir. Music is music and if you like it, then that should be good enough ! ;)

Not sure about website for music but there a lot out there, i've seen a post about it on this forum. Downside is that most of the copyright free music is pretty lame and, well, really not that good. I'm lucky enough to be doing music and surrounded by talented musician/producers so i don't use those websites. I also could google it for you but i'm too lazy for that haha.

As for the uploaded bitrate, well, it's most likely the same bitrate you encoded the video in. It's in your video editing software options.
It seems vimeo add less glitches to the video compared to Youtube, or so internet says...

Bless !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.