Let's say you crashes and your camera fell off...

Reaction score
Hypothetically if you miscalculated how far a tree was and hit it 30 feet up and the camera broke off... Drone still flies but camera looks like photo... Now what...

Repair ? Replace ? Anyone have estimate on what it should cost ?

I'm in Beverly Hills
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436238579.842527.jpg

Buy a new one and sell or keep the one you have now for parts.

Buy a new one and sell or keep the one you have now for parts.

Pretty much this.

DJI won't cover a crash that was operator error, and I believe the camera is the most expensive part of the machine to repair.

Try selling the battery, controller, body, and camera and see what happens.

@hunch, is someone you might want to talk to about options. I know he repairs and sells Phantoms like crazy. And his customer service is great

Reactions: cmyk22
New camera is $500. I believe Advexure has said they are coming in stock soon. You can choose whether you want an advanced camera or a pro.

Hypothetically if you miscalculated how far a tree was and hit it 30 feet up and the camera broke off... Drone still flies but camera looks like photo... Now what...

Repair ? Replace ? Anyone have estimate on what it should cost ?

I'm in Beverly Hills View attachment 24098

It's not worth buying the camera separately. You would do best to buy a whole new Phantom and sell your original Phantom or keep it to use for spare parts if something should happen with your new replacement.

For a hypothetical situation, those are remarkably realistic looking photos. You must be very good at doing mock-ups in photoshop ;)
The sad thing with almost every model of the phantom I've seen so far, if you total the camera and gimbal, the repair is stupidly expensive. I'm making do with a damaged gimbal on my P2 now because I can't justify the cost a second time to repair it (slow learner, I crashed it twice with the camera on it, the first time I replaced with a new one. Not going to do that this time, I'll squirrel away the money towards the Inspire 2 when they release it..

Just do this...

IMG_2679.JPG

I've got myself some plastic epoxy, primer, sand paper and plastidip today... let the customizing fun begin! I hope the hotel don't mind me using the bathroom as a spray booth... lol

I crashed my P3 and broke the gimbal too. Without shipping costs, it costed me less than 150 USD to have it repaired by DJI with a turnaround time of about 4 weeks (I live in Singapore). If your camera is fine, they can just fix the gimbal arm. They will anyway ask you to approve the costs before starting the repair.

11406263_10153914941772166_3555189030926736468_o.jpg

Reactions: QuikSilver15
+1 for buying a new P3. Keep the old one as a trainer. I have an old P2V+ with a bent/inoperative gimbal that I occasionally let someone else fly. Maybe a good friend, or to make a kids day (having my hands on the controls as well, sometimes tethered).

Protect your gimbal next time with a protecter from KillerRC.com
I did install both a gimbal guard and gimbal saver for now but actually I found that the weak point of the gimbal is actually the thiner part of the arm, not the articulated sections.

Attachments

• IMG_2386.JPG
    IMG_2386.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 509

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20