Lens protector (and lens hood) for gopro with this gimbal?

Re: Lens protector (and lens hood) for gopro with this gimba

WessexWyvern said:
A CP only works if set in the correct orientation - you can use the GP's wireless function and a smartphone to do this before flight. . It's also worth noting that they are most effective when they are at 90 degrees to the sun.

Would you mind elaborating on exactly how I would confirm proper orientation of a CP on my Hero 3+, using my Android and the GoPro App to review what the camera sees? I don't have sunlight or a CP at the moment (due in Saturday), or I would attempt to answer my own question.

Thanks,
Kelly

Sure; turn the GP 90 deg away from the sun towards a patch of blue sky (ie with the sun light coming in from the left or right of the camera) and monitor the GPs output with the GP app then rotate the ring on the filter until the sky looks it's deepest blue. There's a slight delay with the app so you will have to turn it a little each time and wait for the app to catch up. You'll also notice colours become richer as it's effect increases, especially the colours of foliage, you'll also get a reduction in reflections from shiny surfaces such as still water or car paintwork.
I mark the top of the rotating filter ring to note where the effect is at its greatest for future reference.

Polarizers operate by filtering all the light vibrating in a certain direction. Normally to select that direct, you rotate the polarizer.

Normally, you set your camera on your tripod, set your focus, set your exposure, THEN rotate your polarizer to the optimum angle to take the picture... Then adjust exposure again as the filter will effect that, and snap your shot.

If you are doing motion pictures, you might need a camera assistant to move the polarizer during your camera move. For this reason, I don't really see them as super useful in any application where you can't easily touch the lens of your camera.... but perhaps someone disagrees?

I think you are over complicating things there mate. You can hold a CP filter out in front of your eyes with the sun roughly off to one side and see the effect just by turning it back and forth to see where the effect is at its greatest. It's not quite as obvious with the GoPro filters though as they are so small so I prefer to do it wirelessly with the app.

You can wirelessly rotate a filter? *Raised eyebrow*

panhygrous pantler said:
GreyGhost said:
I could certainly gaffer some black-wrap to the lens, and would in a pinch, but that's a jury rig solution, and I misdoubt that it would stay on with the prop-wash coming down on it.

I'd like to get a piece of safety glass over my lens, in case I crash on a rock.

The tape hood works just fine. Prop wash is not an issue.

pdp_image_Protective_Lens_1.jpg

+

12yd-roll.png

http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/protective-lens
http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=gorilla-tape

Can you post a picture of how you put it on your gopro. Dumb question. But I want to see

I just have the tape on mine and works for 90% of prop flickering

zTR7DTyl.jpg

chrisono said:
I just have the tape on mine and works for 90% of prop flickering

zTR7DTyl.jpg
Awesome!

I had a lot of flights where the rippling just ruined shots. As a previous poster pointed out, it's the shadowing created by the blades that causes the artifact. If you have some ruined footage you can actually see that the width of the lines decreases as the blades move faster...interesting and infuriating.

I looked to buy lens hoods, but pretty much the only things out there are heavy 3-d printed variety. I found the tape/flag method here or on another forum and went with that. However, I had a lot of issues with the hood dropping into the shot with the prop-wash. Over the months, we refined the little flag and got a bunch lasercut. Well...we have a lot, so we're selling them for $5 bucks:

lenshood.png

http://www.apolloairobotic.com/products/lenshood/

These little guys slip nicely in between the Zenmuse mount and the GoPro. They've been working great, no more shadows! They're so light that it doesn't throw the gimbal off. This isn't really our business, but I figured since we have a bunch of them laying around, we'd try to recoup some laser cutting costs. Check 'em out.

noctividus said:
These little guys slip nicely in between the Zenmuse mount and the GoPro. They've been working great, no more shadows! They're so light that it doesn't throw the gimbal off. This isn't really our business, but I figured since we have a bunch of them laying around, we'd try to recoup some laser cutting costs. Check 'em out.

Two questions before I give you $5. :lol:

1. Is it compatible with the H3-3D?

2. Will it cause my gimbal to "yaw-derp" on high winds?

I just used a Pepsi Max bottle top to make a lens hood, works great, just cut out the middle and smooth it out, little bit of smoothing on the side so it's slides past the gopro bracket on the gimbal.

John.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 607
Reactions: infilm

Shipping cost to the UK- Free...it fits in an envelope, so shipping costs are not that concerning to me.

I don't have a H3-3D, so I can't verify. The mount looks the same, so it should fit. My concern would be that it could hit the landing arms if you pan past them. If you order one and it doesn't work, I'll give you a refund. Just be honest.

"Yaw-Derp" - Not sure what that is, but it looks like a control issue. I had this problem on a POS gimbal from china once. My solution was to buy a better gimbal. Also, if you're flying in high winds, it might just be beyond the gimbal's capabilities. You'll have to weigh the benefits of putting a small lens hood on (no flicker) versus the negatives (increased cross-sectional area). It's a very small area added which is mostly parallel with a horizontal wind gust. If I saw that yaw-derp in my video, a lens hood would be pretty low on my list of suspects. Sometimes it's just too windy to fly a P2 and get good video.

My only real data is that I've had this thing on my H3-2D for several months. It's never been a problem.

noctividus said:
Shipping cost to the UK- Free...it fits in an envelope, so shipping costs are not that concerning to me.

I don't have a H3-3D, so I can't verify. The mount looks the same, so it should fit. My concern would be that it could hit the landing arms if you pan past them. If you order one and it doesn't work, I'll give you a refund. Just be honest.

"Yaw-Derp" - Not sure what that is, but it looks like a control issue. I had this problem on a POS gimbal from china once. My solution was to buy a better gimbal. Also, if you're flying in high winds, it might just be beyond the gimbal's capabilities. You'll have to weigh the benefits of putting a small lens hood on (no flicker) versus the negatives (increased cross-sectional area). It's a very small area added which is mostly parallel with a horizontal wind gust. If I saw that yaw-derp in my video, a lens hood would be pretty low on my list of suspects. Sometimes it's just too windy to fly a P2 and get good video.

My only real data is that I've had this thing on my H3-2D for several months. It's never been a problem.

Awesome response as it does make sense.. So i'll give it a try then and report back to you how it goes. ;)

Looking forward to testing it out!

Hello I'm also interested in that hood. But I have a question. How do you attached this hood? Are you using any glue or something similar? Because I'm using my GP for other things too. So I unmount mine GP from gimbal many times.

OK, thanks for instructions. I will buy it. 2 of them just for reserve ;) I just hope that I will manage to mount it on my Zenmuse H3 - 3D.

Thanks everybody for buying some!

For those concerned about weight, I just put 20 on a scale to get an idea of how light they are.

One Lens Hood weights about 0.43g...super light.

Just got mine (Apollo) yesterday (thanks for the FAST shipping BTW...less than 4 days to Arizona!)

But..

It appears that it's thickness is just enough to keep my Hero3 Black from "popping into" the Zen H3-3D GP holder frame thingy. And it is about 1mm (or less) too wide...it keeps the retaining bar from lining up proper with it's mating part...

None are really show-stoppers I think. I can hot-glue it to the GP (hopefully, it will hold) and trim a small amount from the side for the retaining bar to fit...

I'll fiddle with it a bit more and see if it can make it fly...so to speak....

That's disconcerting. Can you send a picture? They might have changed the tolerances on the H3-3D a little bit, however, I doubt it.

Before you hot-glue, try again.

After you posted, I was curious, so I took mine off and installed the camera without it. Then I did a re-install comparing how everything went together. The thickness does indeed change the fit a little bit. When I install the hood, I have to push the retaining bar in place. It's not much of a "force," but it is a noticeable difference if you're used to putting the GoPro in there alone. As far as the width is concerned, looking down, the left edge should line up with the left side of the GoPro...that might not be clear from the directions.

The hood is retained by the retaining bar and is slid behind the back of the GoPro. The mount was obviously not designed for this, but it works. Again, I've been using this flawlessly for a long time and haven't had any issues.

I'm working on a short install video which I should be able to post shortly. Also, I was offering free international shipping, but that's going way now. $1.10 to international. Sorry, I've had to buy a lot of stamps.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4