Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Lens profile in Camera RAW

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by Sledge, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Sledge

On my MAC I am able to access the DJI lens correction from Photoshop.....but not in the Camera RAW module...any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!

2. Pull_Up

3. FSJ Guy

That's the way to do it. I found that it disabled the lens correction for JPGs, however. So I duplicated the file and left one original and changed the other. Now it will apply the lens correction for both my DNG and JPG files.

4. Sledge

5. Pull_Up

From the post I linked to:

[Be aware I don't use Adobe products, so I'm just going on what was said] It appears you have to modify the profile file itself as above to make it work with dng..

6. Sledge

I think I had tried that too....but I'll keep digging on this one.....thanks pull-up, u r always generous with your knowledge ....and recall. :)

7. HoneyBee

Hi I have adobe photo shop 12 elements, down loaded the dji / adobe beta file but cant seem to get it to run in this program. can anybody confirm this?? it seems to be a different file format.

I see that PS element has a lens distortion tag but it does not seen to remove too much of the fish eye effect

look forward to your input or comments

8. AnselA

Actually the line does not refer to DNG. It is:

stCamera:CameraRawProfile="True"

9. AnselA

PSE does not support lens correction profiles.

10. HoneyBee

many thanks, that ashame bought it hoping this would do the trick

11. HoneyBee

Hi Again
    Can you point me in the right direction to which version to get i.e light room or another

12. Pull_Up

I'm sure there's a way of doing it manually with what you have, or the other adobe products already mentioned will accept the lens profile for an auto fix. If you're interested in other methods and aren't wedded to Adobe then you can do a reasonable job of removing the fisheye distortion with the free GIMP image manipulation program... link in my sig to a quick "how to" on that.

13. AnselA

Adobe Light Room 5.3 supports FC200 lens correction profile for JPG images. There's no official Adobe support for FC200 DNG yet. However, it is possible to hack the JPG profile as described above, to get pretty good corrections of DNG images.

On 22.1.2014 an employee of Photoshop Family, replied in an email to me:

"...we need a different profile to make it work correctly for DNG images. We'll be working on that soon. Stay tuned."

14. HoneyBee

Many thanks for your comments, I saw Gimp on a link somewhere and i did pretty much the same a the PSE 12 I have but with PFE I seems to lack the ability to corrected it as you see on other users pictures on this forum, with nice straight horizons. If I was to purchase another photo editing program what would you suggest.

15. jimre

Just to be clear - Photoshop Elements supports *manual* lens correction, see Filter -> Correct Camera Distortion. Just move the sliders around until the picture looks the way you want. It does NOT however, support *automatic* lens correction using profiles like the full version of Photoshop does.

16. HoneyBee

Hi
    Learnt the hard way here and was hoping that PSE 12 did the trick, not to good, the lens distortion option within SPE kind of sorts some of the fish eye out but not really convinced the way it looks. so really looking for a alternative editing package

17. AnselA

I have been using Photoshop about 20 years and also Light Room for a few years now. I am biased and will not suggest any photo editing software to your needs, sorry.

18. HoneyBee

I think you've answer my question then really, if you've been using adobe for 20 years or so, then you must be happy with what you are using

many thanks again for your input.

19. AnselA

Yes, but I am like like Photoshop "prisoner"; too much learning to change any more. "Full" photoshop was originally made for graphic designers. Light Room is targeted more to professional photographers and PSE for amateur photographers, unfortunately it does not support automatic distorsion corrections, which would be very useful these days.

---

EDIT:

For lens corrections see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_%28optics%29

"- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Photoshop CS5 can correct complex distortion

- Photoshop CS2 and Photoshop Elements (from version 5) include a manual Lens Correction filter for simple (pincushion/barrel) distortion"

20. GneeChee

I find that the best way to deal with mustache distortion is to stop sleeping on your face :lol:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. I didn't know that was a real thing until I read your post then googled it :D )