Lens Hood for P2V+ from Shapeways

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased a lens hood from Shapeways? They show one on their Website that looks pretty good. The price was cheap so I bought it only to get this return email statement.
" Before we make your order, our 3D printing experts are manually reviewing it to make sure sure it can withstand the process of 3D printing. Given the complex nature of converting digital files into physical products, every now and then we catch designs that will be too fragile to create. If we do happen to find any potential issues, we will issue a store credit and work with you to re-order."

Kind of misleading since they show one mounted on a P2V+ and 2 samples.

If someone has purchased one and received it I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

At this point I am a little nervous that I paid for something I may not get and they want to give me store credit...that ain't going to work. I want my money refunded.
Thanks for any information

That's odd!

I think that is a generic warning they put on all orders. I got the same thing on a completely different item. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You'll get a shipping notice shortly.

If anyone ever actually gets one of these, please post a review and photos. Our order was delayed and delayed again. We gave up. A refund was, however, quickly issued by the seller.

I have purchased one of these and got the same message. It is just a matter of keeping my fingers crossed and waiting. As it was not that expensive it will not be the end of the earth if it goes wrong.

I got one and like it. You will need to wrap some electrical tape around the camera to make it fit snug because it is rather loose.

I used mine today and all my pictures show the lens hood from Shapeways in the corners.

Attachments

• DJI00776 a.jpg
    DJI00776 a.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 713
The shapeways lens hood works very well. This video shows before and after with the lens hood. The first clip shows the prop interference . the second clip shows the problem solved. http://vimeo.com/106305337

I ordered and received the Lens Hood from Shapeways, and can't use it for the following reason;
When the Lens Hood is on the P2V+ camera and the lens is facing down there is an ⅛ to ⅜ clearance from the ground. With the Lens Hood protruding ½" past the lens it hold the camera out of position and you get a Gimbal alarm. To use the Lens Hood you would have to use it in conjunction with extended landing legs.

pterrill said:
I ordered and received the Lens Hood from Shapeways, and can't use it for the following reason;
When the Lens Hood is on the P2V+ camera and the lens is facing down there is an ⅛ to ⅜ clearance from the ground. With the Lens Hood protruding ½" past the lens it hold the camera out of position and you get a Gimbal alarm. To use the Lens Hood you would have to use it in conjunction with extended landing legs.

Are you seating it all the way against the camera body? Mine works fine even pointed straight down.

Here is mine pointed straight down with a pencil under it for a visual of the clearance.

Attachments

• 20140916_195354_resized.jpg
    20140916_195354_resized.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 441
I order one last week and should have it the first week of October, can't wait.

I saw on the previous page that the petals show up in pictures but on the website it even says that you'll see it in photos and that it should be used for taking videos.

The Shapeways hood looks good, but vignettes quite a bit when shooting stills (I shoot 95% stills with my P2V+).

I started filing away at the corners with a small jeweler's file, and after removing a bit of material, I put it back on the P2V+ and shot test images. More filing and testing gave way to grinding away at the hood with a dremel tool. After about a dozen grinding and testing cycles out came the Xacto knife and I got even more aggressive at removing the excess material. Eventually I removed enough material to get a clean image corner to corner.

I painted the hood black and put it on for the last time. While I had the flat black paint out, I also painted the chrome beveled edge of the P2V+ camera (right next to the actual lens). What the hell was DJI thinking when they decided to chrome plate trim right next to the lens?

Here's a shot of the hood installed on the P2V+ (I also painted my camera clip red so I would be more likely to remove it before flying and less likely to lose it in tall grass).

The second photo is the hood after the final filing and before painting.

Attachments

• DSCF5441b.jpg
    DSCF5441b.jpg
    798 KB · Views: 388
  • DSCF5456.jpg
    DSCF5456.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 345

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members